Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 10:55 PM

99 posts, read 386,581 times

Advertisements

In the San Francisco thread on this site I read about lots of people asking questions about moving from Miami -> San Francisco, but I'm more interested in moving the other way.

I moved to the bay area two years ago & just visited Miami for a long weekend (2nd visit), Miami is what I envisioned living in the US would be like - the great weather (love heat, no problem with humidity), the palm tree's, the beach, the warm water, access to the keys, Miami, to me at least, seems much more vibrant & energetic than San Francisco...somehow a lot "cooler"....yeah yeah, I sound like a tourist & I am very naive about the realities of living there ;-)

While I'm in the US, I'd love to move down for at least at year with my wife (another miami fan) and....I guess try it out for want of a better phrase.

I work in software development, an industry that, thankfully, is doing very well right now in SF, New York and the other tech hubs....however I don't know anything about the software scene in Miami & just wondering if their are any software / IT people here who could comment on what the local market is like for developers at the moment, specifically Ruby / Rails developers?

Again, sounding like a tourist here....but looking at house prices around Brickell & Key Biscayne (only areas I really know & figure will be close to work / downtown) rents seem quiet high ($2k - $3k), is this "normal" for a nice part of Miami or are these areas where the high flyers live? (I am definitely not a high flyer).

Appreciate any thoughts, comments or opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 06:14 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
i know more programmers making a living in orlando or palm beach county. it doesnt feel like there are a ton of skilled jobs down here.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:37 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
IT & Software Development Jobs in Miami, Florida

187 jobs in Software Development

Old 08-17-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
IT & Software Development Jobs in Miami, Florida

187 jobs in Software Development
op probably knows that number of jobs listed on a jobs site mean nothing regarding actual jobs available. especially in this economy.
alot of times recruiters put up dummy job listings to make busy work for themselves just so the recruiters themselves look like theyre making an effort so they can keep their jobs.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:51 AM

45 posts, read 68,159 times
In this industry it shouldnt be too difficult to work from home as i know a few sw engineers who have done so. There are limitations to working from home...but you might be able to stay with your current employer. As far as monster goes you can always apply for a few jobs and see what responses you get...if you are not 100% sure you want to move then apply to companies you really dont care much for (just to get a feel). If you apply for a job you really like then turn it down it might not look very good if you want a second chance later on down the road (but if you have a quick tongue you can get away with anything and make them believe anything). This process has worked for me when i moved from miami to NC...now its working the same when im testing the waters to move from NC to miami...its good to see how much they are offering...

Old 08-17-2011, 12:01 PM

yes. i agree. i know someone who lives in jupiter but does development work for a company in atlanta and only has to fly out there occasionally. if you can work remotely most of the time, the world is your oyster because you can live in so many cheap and cool places with little housing competition.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,196 times
For software developers inquiring about Miami openings: I am recruiting for an outstanding, well-funded SaaS startup run like a Silicon Valley firm. They are looking for the "Best of the Best" working in C++, Windows and Linux,Qt, Python and NoSQL db. Let me know if you have interest. Gary Silver Sr. Recruiter
[email]gary@shaygroup.com[/email]

Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,897,831 times
For a minute there I thought cixcell was back.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:16 AM

535 posts, read 1,410,558 times
There are very few Tech/IT jobs in Miami and the ones available pay very low... Rents in nice areas are the prices you described, it will be hard to pay that amount of rent working with a Miami IT salary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami