Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:49 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
i still enjoy hurricanes. ive been through a wet event (katrina) and a wind event (wilma) all i ask is to see the eye now.
The eye is creepy. I've been through the eye of Charley, Jeanne and Frances when they struck as well as some tropical storms but a Hurricanes eye is so eerie. It's the extended sound of mute that builds the suspense of round #2!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 08:50 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,132,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
i still enjoy hurricanes. ive been through a wet event (katrina) and a wind event (wilma) all i ask is to see the eye now.
You know Cix, Wilma wasn't even a wet storm. It was wet on one half and then pretty dry, compared to some monster wet hurricanes. When we have a wet hurricane, they are usually weaker (cat 1) and boy will it be an experience. I can't recall which one was crazy wet, maybe it was, ironically, Irene in 99? That technically hit Naples but it was lopsided and we got the worst of it here. I believe it started raining the day before and just got worse and worse and then the wind let loose the second day. I worked at the Biltmore at the time (if I am remembering the right storm) and it wasn't forecasted to be bad in Miami. But while I was at work there were guests saying their windows were getting blown out on the upper floors, there was water comming in, the awnings were destroyed...and driving home the car was rocking at stop lights (this was all before the crescendo later in the afternoon). I remember seeing water blowing up into the air off the roofs, the roofing material was flying into the air, it was like a giant upward suction.

And that wildness, was a Cat 1.

I would also say Katrina, another unexpected Cat 1, was much worse than one would expect. When I compare them to Wilma, I think the difference is that Wilma was larger and the damage wasn't localized like in the other storms. It was also drier for me in Little Havana...maybe it was watter in PB and Broward.

Andrew was a dry storm as well. There was flooding but that was actually Biscayne Bay penetrating the sewers and lightly flooding a vast area of South Miami Dade during the storm. Thank god it wasn't larger or else the flood would have been a true surge well inland.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:21 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,082 times
http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/data/images/at201109_5day.gif (broken link)
Looks like it may be a miss for us. Look out Jax!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:25 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Glad I have moved far away. Hope I don't see you guys on CNN, with all the piliaging, and anarchy...gee, Miami is barely tame with decent weather....if this storm is coming, and real, get in the car and leave....go get some gas now, and fill up a few gas cans...

Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
been through David in 1979 as a kid which was a very weak but wet storm, Andrew which was horrifying and the last one that changed my life was Katrina. The family home was in Princeton south of Cutler ridge and Katriana while a minimal CAT 1 storm at the time dumped 16 inches of rain in less than 6 hours.
We lived in a "X" flood zone and our area never flooded even during torrential downpours. I awoke to ankle deep water in my bedroom. Everything was ruined inside the house & my car was partially sumbered (total loss & had recently been paid off). We had no flood insurance since the mortgage company didn't require it since we were outside the 100 year flood zone. Needless to say we wound up selling the house for a profit & against my wishes the rest of the family moved to Orlando and my life has been hell in this God forsaken piece of crap called Mickey's town!

Oh and enjoy being without power for a week or so in some areas directly hit. We didn't get power restored after Andrew for 3 weeks!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:45 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
You know Cix, Wilma wasn't even a wet storm. It was wet on one half and then pretty dry, compared to some monster wet hurricanes. When we have a wet hurricane, they are usually weaker (cat 1) and boy will it be an experience. I can't recall which one was crazy wet, maybe it was, ironically, Irene in 99? That technically hit Naples but it was lopsided and we got the worst of it here. I believe it started raining the day before and just got worse and worse and then the wind let loose the second day. I worked at the Biltmore at the time (if I am remembering the right storm) and it wasn't forecasted to be bad in Miami. But while I was at work there were guests saying their windows were getting blown out on the upper floors, there was water comming in, the awnings were destroyed...and driving home the car was rocking at stop lights (this was all before the crescendo later in the afternoon). I remember seeing water blowing up into the air off the roofs, the roofing material was flying into the air, it was like a giant upward suction.

And that wildness, was a Cat 1.

I would also say Katrina, another unexpected Cat 1, was much worse than one would expect. When I compare them to Wilma, I think the difference is that Wilma was larger and the damage wasn't localized like in the other storms. It was also drier for me in Little Havana...maybe it was watter in PB and Broward.

Andrew was a dry storm as well. There was flooding but that was actually Biscayne Bay penetrating the sewers and lightly flooding a vast area of South Miami Dade during the storm. Thank god it wasn't larger or else the flood would have been a true surge well inland.
no i said katrina was the wet storm, wilma was a dry wind event
katrina flooded homestead and florida city when it went over. we went down to walmart and there were a couple guys buying remote control boats to drive around their flooded livingrooms.

i think the main reason behind wilma's dryness was the cold front that immediately followed it. our friends up in boca said you could see the rain atomizing and sort of drying out as the cold front was moving in immediately behind the storm. down here in homestead we were without power for awhile which we felt was ironic because turkey point is right down the road. the complex next door was still under construction and had power though and you could tell because the builders would leave the back porch lights on. because of this everyone went into the yards to charge their cell phones. there were also people hanging outside walmart sitting on the pavement plugged into exposed outlets along the front of the store. anywhere anyone could steal power.

in andrew the surge brought water in i think all the way towards US-1. we're considered in a flood zone for that reason. where we live now would have been probably scattered with boats and debris brought inland on the surge.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Take a drive down the street. See how about a third of the buildings look vacant and abandoned with rusty air conditioners. A lot of what you see is from hurricane and storm damage. Pretty neat for the local economy, huh?
where is this? i havent seen any such thing except the 3-4 inches of pigeon crap on a doorstep down the street remind me how bad the housing economy is here.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:59 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Glad I have moved far away. Hope I don't see you guys on CNN, with all the piliaging, and anarchy...gee, Miami is barely tame with decent weather....if this storm is coming, and real, get in the car and leave....go get some gas now, and fill up a few gas cans...
how long did you live here?

It's not like this is the first storm to hit the area. We know what's gonna be like if it gets here, even as a category 5.

Most people actually drive very slow, since gas stations will have 2-4 hour lines. And most will wait patienly for their turn because they know it's gonna take hours to get gas, ice or cash.

Of course you will see some idiot on the news saying that her babies are starving and that government is not taking care of her and letting her babies die, and this will be the day after the storm. I've seen those idiots on TV in every hurricane since Andrew.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
how long did you live here?

It's not like this is the first storm to hit the area. We know what's gonna be like if it gets here, even as a category 5.

Most people actually drive very slow, since gas stations will have 2-4 hour lines. And most will wait patienly for their turn because they know it's gonna take hours to get gas, ice or cash.

Of course you will see some idiot on the news saying that her babies are starving and that government is not taking care of her and letting her babies die, and this will be the day after the storm. I've seen those idiots on TV in every hurricane since Andrew.
what really burns me are the people who exploit FEMA to get new stuff.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 AM

just for the record - i am a meteorology nerd. i like hurricanes. no i dont like people getting hurt but that doesnt subtract from admiring the awe and raw power of nature. if you dont like that TOUGH.

i go through this crap every time we have a storm so im just going to be loud and obnoxious about it and if you dont like it too bad. I LIKE HURRICANES!

wait that font wasnt big enough. i need to make the font bigger somehow.

I UNAPOLOGETICALLY ENJOY HURRICANES!

NOW COME DESTROY ME IRENE! BRING IT B$%#H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami