Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 05:36 PM

153 posts, read 287,933 times

Advertisements

I went to DMV site and it says about DATA, learner's permit, driver's permit, something about course that I should take them all but doesn't say how much they cost nor how long they last, etc.

Is someone willing to write a step by step guide on what is required to get a driver's license for the first time here in Florida?

And prices and how long the courses take will be much, much appreciated.

I am not lazy, I Googled it, but this is all new for me, it's completely different then getting a driver's license in Europe.

Can I get some books or something to learn the signs before I take the test or...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 06:27 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
You should be able to pick up manuals at the DMV office. I can't answer about the driving and written test because I did that in another state a long time ago. I will recommend you make an appointment and be prepared for a very long wait. I've never seen such an understaffed, unorganized, ****** up origanization as the FL DMV.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:34 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
You should be able to pick up manuals at the DMV office. I can't answer about the driving and written test because I did that in another state a long time ago. I will recommend you make an appointment and be prepared for a very long wait. I've never seen such an understaffed, unorganized, ****** up, origanization as the FL DMV.
or any dmv. california's was actually worse in my opinion because it was hot and had lots of mothers with screaming kids in tow.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:47 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
I thought NC was bad, but it's so much better then FL and has actually improved over the years.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:45 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
You have to do a "Drugs and Alcohol" test which you can usually do online (I think around $20) and print out a certificate. You bring the certificate and necessary identification to any driver license office in Florida (If you're going down to the Keys any any way, you can do it there) and take the written tests (road rules and signs) for your learner's permit. Depending on which office, you may need to make an appointment. I think you can take a driving test the same day if you are ready, for this you probably need an appointment. Learner's permit is valid for the same time as a full license. If you have a license in Europe, I think you only need to take the written tests.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:08 PM

292 posts, read 956,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
You have to do a "Drugs and Alcohol" test which you can usually do online (I think around $20) and print out a certificate. You bring the certificate and necessary identification to any driver license office in Florida (If you're going down to the Keys any any way, you can do it there) and take the written tests (road rules and signs) for your learner's permit. Depending on which office, you may need to make an appointment. I think you can take a driving test the same day if you are ready, for this you probably need an appointment. Learner's permit is valid for the same time as a full license. If you have a license in Europe, I think you only need to take the written tests.

There's a test for that? And people here have passed it? Whoa

Old 08-28-2011, 05:31 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
The basic thing to know about your drivers test, is do you breathe and parallel park.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 AM

140 posts, read 508,234 times
All the info to get a driver's license is here: Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

There are links to the fee schedule, as well as handbooks to prepare for the tests.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
Does anyone in Miami know how to use the damn turn signal? : Miami

Old 08-30-2011, 06:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Maybe to get a learner's permit. If you have a license from another state FL doesn't care if you can drive or know the rules of the road.

Only state I ever got a license in that didn't at least require you take a written test. They don't even know if you're handing over a suspended/revoked license from another state.

FL is very strict now on having proper ID(which is good), however they fall short big time when it comes to seeing if who they're handing over a license to can and should be driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: