Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 04:48 PM

60 posts, read 132,844 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a mover? I'm having one of those 'pods' delivered and all of my crap needs to be unpacked...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 06:35 AM

309 posts, read 619,550 times
the 'Pod' is your 'mover' - someone who 'just' unpacks your stuff isn't a mover, it's a personal service.

If you had used a full-service mover, they would pack, move and unpack for you - but if they were not the company that moved you, they won't come and unpack it for you.

so if what you want is just someone to unpack your stuff, you will have to find/hire someone to do that. .. check yellow pages or craigslist for personal services... or you may have to put your own an ad on craigslist, to hire someone for a couple days.

Last edited by catt6; 09-05-2011 at 06:47 AM..

Old 09-05-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
the 'Pod' is your 'mover' - someone who 'just' unpacks your stuff isn't a mover, it's a personal service.

If you had used a full-service mover, they would pack, move and unpack for you - but if they were not the company that moved you, they won't come and unpack it for you.

so if what you want is just someone to unpack your stuff, you will have to find/hire someone to do that. .. check yellow pages or craigslist for personal services... or you may have to put your own an ad on craigslist, to hire someone for a couple days.
Not true. There are local moving companies who will unpack a pod (just like the local moving company that packed my pod; 3 movers took 2.5 hrs to do it but I had to commit to a min # of hrs to make it worth their while). The ones recommended by the Pod people are national networks that contract w/ local movers to do it; so everyone gets a cut and it's too expensive. I had my pod packed for 1/3 of the price that the Pod people quoted, using a local moving company I had used previously. I want a licensed and bonded/insured moving company to unpack my pod; not a 'personal service' (i.e. random guy/ hoodlum / criminal w/ friends and hidden agenda).

Any recommendations local movers?

Old 09-05-2011, 09:21 AM

well golly GEEEE mister wilson, learn something new every day

guess i didn't talk to the right companies .....

Old 09-24-2011, 05:25 PM

No replies ...hmmm..Is it possible that no one has moved in the past couple of years?
Or ...no one liked their mover (I'll heed warning / stay away from advice too...)?
Or..are we prohibited from commenting on such things?

Old 09-25-2011, 12:05 AM

i think it's just that most people do their own unpacking - i JUST moved across the country, but i did all the packing myself - i trust my own skills better than anyone i would pay to pack my things. and i also don't want stranger's hands all over my personal belongings.

same with unpacking -- all the movers did was transport the goods; when they were delivered, i took it from there - all unpacking done myself. i'm guessing most people do it that way.... of course i could be completely wrong as i was earlier in this thread, hehe, but i don't know anyone who has ever had other people unpack their personal belongings after moving.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
i think it's just that most people do their own unpacking - i JUST moved across the country, but i did all the packing myself - i trust my own skills better than anyone i would pay to pack my things. and i also don't want stranger's hands all over my personal belongings.

same with unpacking -- all the movers did was transport the goods; when they were delivered, i took it from there - all unpacking done myself. i'm guessing most people do it that way.... of course i could be completely wrong as i was earlier in this thread, hehe, but i don't know anyone who has ever had other people unpack their personal belongings after moving.
Ok; thx. I'd be happy to unpack myself but I'm on crutches and awaiting knee surgery so I'm basically useless /unable to lift or carry and my only friends in Mia are either ridiculously wealthy (wouldn't consider lifting a finger), work in the restaurant biz (schedules don't jive) or are only as strong as me - which means we could never lift the heavy pieces of furniture or king size bed/mattress. Time to make new, fit friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami