Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times

Advertisements

Turnpike, Sawgrass tolls to increase - Florida - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/06/2393695/fdot-turnpike-sawgrass-tolls-to.html - broken link)

wow, they're really trying to finish the economy off in miami aren't they?
i cant think of anything that wouldnt make people want to leave miami-dade county even more.

no jobs and increase all the tolls? thats economic suicide.

think about how much power the turnpike authority and MDX have.
people have to commute further and further when there are fewer and fewer jobs in a attempt to make ends meet.
if you raise the toll prices you could literally push alot of people over the edge.

since i moved here in 2005. the highways in miami have only gotten 1. more expensive and 2. increasingly more and more stretches of it perpetually under construction. so my commute has only ever gotten more difficult/dangerous and i'm paying more for it.
where does this benefit me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 07:19 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
Another reason for people to move out of the city, good job City of Miami .

Old 09-07-2011, 08:03 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
Turnpike, Sawgrass tolls to increase - Florida - MiamiHerald.com

wow, they're really trying to finish the economy off in miami aren't they?
i cant think of anything that wouldnt make people want to leave miami-dade county even more.

no jobs and increase all the tolls? thats economic suicide.

think about how much power the turnpike authority and MDX have.
people have to commute further and further when there are fewer and fewer jobs in a attempt to make ends meet.
if you raise the toll prices you could literally push alot of people over the edge.

since i moved here in 2005. the highways in miami have only gotten 1. more expensive and 2. increasingly more and more stretches of it perpetually under construction. so my commute has only ever gotten more difficult/dangerous and i'm paying more for it.
where does this benefit me?
It is $0.25 increase come on. I dont see the big deal. lets say you take the tool everyday back and fourth so 0.50 a day increase x 365= $182.00 increase. Sure a decent amoount of money but if that much money makes or breaks your finances maybe that person should not be driving a car. go to NYC or Boston or Europe and there you can complain about tolls. $1.25 here, $1.00 there I dont see the big deal. The government needs to fund it's self somehow. And all that construciton and toll money will benefit you in th elong run. Your commute will become easier and less dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Another reason for people to move out of the city, good job City of Miami .
Nice point only problem is this is the State of Florida that is doing this has nothing to do with the county and especially the city. The tolls are required to go up by state law.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:11 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
That shows you the way people think, they get all uptight about a toll hike, but most don't consider carpooling or getting a job close to their abode, some mentality people have. Forego going on the Florida Turnpike or Sawgrass and use alternative routes if you don't want to pay the hike. Wise up South Florida!!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:17 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
That shows you the way people think, they get all uptight about a toll hike, but most don't consider carpooling or getting a job close to their abode, some mentality people have. Forego going on the Florida Turnpike or Sawgrass and use alternative routes if you don't want to pay the hike. Wise up South Florida!!!!!!!!
Well take it easy with the jobs thing, the way the job market is now people will go anywhere to get paid and you cant blame them. But yes they can carpool or take another route. But if the highway route takes less time and has less traffic the amount of fuel saved taking the highway even with tollls is probably cheaper.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It is $0.25 increase come on. I dont see the big deal. lets say you take the tool everyday back and fourth so 0.50 a day increase x 365= $182.00 increase. Sure a decent amoount of money but if that much money makes or breaks your finances maybe that person should not be driving a car. go to NYC or Boston or Europe and there you can complain about tolls. $1.25 here, $1.00 there I dont see the big deal. The government needs to fund it's self somehow. And all that construciton and toll money will benefit you in th elong run. Your commute will become easier and less dangerous.
You are correct on the face of it, but, it is always "only such and such amount".

The gov will never increase somehting by a substantial amount, it will always be small increase, some here, some there, but overall at the end of the year, the amount is huge.

This is just tolls, the gov on all levels have their hands in the pot for many other things as well, but it was always advertised as "a small amount, no big deal".

The government in my opinion gets plenty of funding, they just spend on bs items. There would be less negative reactions to taxes if the government actually spent the money as intended. But as long as "$30 billion missing in Afghanistan", or "$500 a month car allowance for the mayor", or "fired gov exec gets $120k payout" or "$125k to paint a scheme on a water tower"; people are going to have a negative reaction to any increase in taxes. I really do not blame them. After all, that is their labor they have to do in order to pay for it, money they could be using to better themselves, not feed a gov who easily wastes money as easily as they collect it.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Good point.

Don't want to pay? use other routes.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Good point.

or relocate somewhere it is automatically paid for by taxes.

sure a number of us in this forum it will not effect. it will just reduce your take home pay a bit. just hope to God you keep your good job.
but increasingly so many people are so close to the financial edge in this county. have some compassion. this is a cost of living increase for people. taking side streets in miami isnt a realistic option when often times it takes so much longer to do so that you would pay the tolls in additional gas.

I'm guessing people will simply relocate out of miami-dade. the place increasingly has more disadvantages than advantages.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Good point.

Yes, but it regards to "use another route", this is the big critique of the toll road system.

In an effort to route commuters to a toll road, the gov will not make needed improvements on other routes, even though tax funds are suppose to be allotted to do so, along with basic city planning and infrastructure.

This is the biggest critique of private toll roads, because contracts often state the gov cannot create any road or improvement that can compete with the private toll road.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, but it regards to "use another route", this is the big critique of the toll road system.

In an effort to route commuters to a toll road, the gov will not make needed improvements on other routes, even though tax funds are suppose to be allotted to do so, along with basic city planning and infrastructure.

This is the biggest critique of private toll roads, because contracts often state the gov cannot create any road or improvement that can compete with the private toll road.
Problem? go to Tallahassee and complain about it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami