Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:03 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,847,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocateMaybe View Post
OK. How bad is bad? Is it actually dangerous to drive to and from the campus? Or does one just not want to go wandering around locally at lunchtime?

I'm trying to compare to, say, South Central LA, where if I accidentally got off the freeway, I'd roll up the windows, lock the doors, and beat a hasty retreat to the exit. If my car broke down I'd be seriously concerned. Is it that bad? Has it gotten a lot worse in the last 2-4 years?
I would say it's somewhere between the two. It's really OK to drive through in a locked car, but you don't want to live within a 5 mile radius of the campus, or get out of your car for that matter. The areas that I would describe as being "rough but OK" would be places like Norland, Hialeah, the 163rd St area (which used to be worse) and some parts of North Miami. The areas that I would describe as outright "ghetto" are Opa-Locka, much of Carol City, Little River/West Little River, Allapattah, Brownsville, etc. So basically, the entire 27th Ave corridor, with a few exception, is comparable to South Central LA from the Broward County Line all the way to Coconut Grove, and it gets better as you move further away from 27th. That being said you will be fine as long as you realize what it is.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 09-13-2011 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 05:06 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,096,947 times
Are you crazy?
Go to the South Campus, or even to the Wolfson Campus..safer..

Old 09-13-2011, 05:07 PM

38 posts, read 69,967 times
Not studying, potentially taking a job.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:23 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,698,246 times
It's "ok" during the day but scary for the unfamiliar at night. Remember, 27 avenue is mostly dumpy north of the Miami river. There are some scary housing projects and apartments as well as "ok" single family homes. Check out Google earth and see what a beautiful view you get around the campus. The safest, (but expensive) way there is by the gratigny expressway. It bypasses the ghetto and takes you to the campus. I worked at North in the early 90's and got tired of the commute really quickly.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:40 PM

How expensive is it to use the freeway? Is there an annual Fastpass or something? How did you find the atmosphere actually working there, if you don't mind dishing?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:10 PM

380 posts, read 960,109 times
During the day, I would not be worried. It is a run down area but if you are smart about yourself and stay on the main roads you will be fine.

However.

I personally would not want to drive in that area at night. If I did, I would be prepared to run a red light if the situation is sketchy and would only take main roads.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:17 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,698,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocateMaybe View Post
How expensive is it to use the freeway? Is there an annual Fastpass or something? How did you find the atmosphere actually working there, if you don't mind dishing?
The toll back then was 50 cents, but I am sure it is over a dollar now. I have worked at North and Kendall campus and both were fine to work at. I worked as a technician and later taught courses. I would have stayed there if it payed more.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:59 PM

108 posts, read 230,164 times
I wouldn't work in that area.. You can't go out to lunch? Risk of crime at the work place due to the probable demographics of employees who work in the area... Driving to and from work... There are jobs all over the place, "in general", I wouldn't work in that area...

Have you driven by there? If not, I am sure someone on here might have some pics to post for you..

Oh, you have to have 24" in rims on your car , that way you'll blend in and they won't break into it, maybe lol

Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 AM

809 posts, read 2,311,741 times
It's not SUPER dangerous. It's more like don't leave your laptop in plain sight. And after class you might not have a fun place to hang out with friends for a nice lunch or drink, or shoot pool.
The campus itself looks WAY BETTER than when I was there in the late 80's.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:39 AM

Good to get some variety in the opinions! To be clear, I've applied for quite a good position working on this campus. What y'all have clarified for me is that if I get an offer, I'll definitely need to fly out and see for myself what it feels like. The point of the exercise would be to contribute to people being able to find a way out of living in that situation, which would more than compensate for not being able to go out for lunch. I just don't want to take more than a certain degree of risk for my personal safety -- the aesthetics are not the main point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami