Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times

Advertisements

coconut: all i do is play tourist here. i do that stuff all the time. literally ALL THE TIME. like every weekend. i'm not worried about myself. i'm doing quite well thank you. i'm worried about the people he might mislead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 08:00 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
hold on. cant pass up a checklist.

Cixcell, when was the last time you went to MB for the day and just lounged around or played tourist? its been awhile. probably next time my brother comes out. been meaning to get out for some beach time but the jellies are still pretty extreme and we had some friends get stung.

When was the last time you kayaked or canoed through the mangroves or in the bay? every chance i get. a few weeks ago actually. in the keys (short drive from homestead)

When was the last time you sipped wine while enjoying a jazz musician in Merrick Park? not a jazz fan really. sorry. but i'm going to see skrillex in december.

When was the last time you visited Vizcaya. maybe last year or early this year? been there twice.

or went to the top of the lighthouse on Key Biscayne? havent been to the top actually but spent plenty of time biking and snorkeling at bill baggs.

How long ago was it that you went to the zoo? last time my brother was out here. metro zoo is fantastic and unparalleled with its southeast asian animals that you can see at no other zoo in the country. plus the relaxed liability here means you can feed giraffes. just dont get too close or theyll swing their necks at you.

What about a weekend trip down to Key West? did that a few months back but it was too hot. the lobster benedict is fantastic at blue heaven. need to head back down there when its cooler to loiter around more. we usually take family and friends down there when theyre in town.

Have you camped out at Fort Jefferson? no unfortunately and i wont anytime soon either. the national park service awarded an exclusive contract to only one boat so now they have essentially granted a monopoly and the price is going through the ceiling. its ridiculous. i dont see whos going to pay 200 bucks for a 2 hr boat ride for primitive camping.

Took a couple days to paddle in the Everglades and sleep on a Chickee?
another one on my check list i havent gotten to yet. i hear pearl bay chickee is the easiest one.

Went up to the Hard Rock to try your hand at a game of craps?
meh, growing up in LA we had vegas 5 hrs away at all times. also, my gf's mom lives in vegas and we'll be there for christmas if i want to gamble.

I could really go on and on.
as could i

the problem is this. i have been very fortunate, very blessed. but i have been through hell here. i made it through to the other side. others may not be so lucky. metaphorically there is a field of burnt and broken men hobbling around with missing limbs that have tried to relocate to miami. conditions arent getting any easier particularly with the economic downturn. i recommend anyone trying to relocate to miami to find a church. theyre going to need it. if you are of average income and average temperament your experience will not be unlike going from a catholic school being thrust into a urban inner city public school. the year after i moved here there were times i seriously considered suicide. i would stare out the window at the palmetto and said if i lose this job i will run right into that road. i thank God i got through it but i will forever bear the scars of 2006.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:25 AM

529 posts, read 1,144,816 times
This thread made me remember that theres still a lot of Miami I haven't experienced, even growing up here, but I think my parents did a pretty good job considering we didn't have much. Our weekends consisted mostly of going to the beach, fishing, or going to parks. The times we did do anything different like going to a baseball game or the seaquarium was because of discounts or free entrances. Even though they were low cost activities, I appreciate my parents' efforts now. It may not be good to judge, but I now realize that many youths here weren't even as lucky as I was.

I don't see anything wrong with this thread. For the most part, it's true from tourists' or the middle classes' point of view, but I know it never was and isn't my reality now. Although I don't feel as negative about Miami or it's people, I do understand why some would get upset if opinions about life here in general are based on a visit or vacation.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post

the problem is this. i have been very fortunate, very blessed. but i have been through hell here. i made it through to the other side. others may not be so lucky. metaphorically there is a field of burnt and broken men hobbling around with missing limbs that have tried to relocate to miami. conditions arent getting any easier particularly with the economic downturn. i recommend anyone trying to relocate to miami to find a church. theyre going to need it. if you are of average income and average temperament your experience will not be unlike going from a catholic school being thrust into a urban inner city public school. the year after i moved here there were times i seriously considered suicide. i would stare out the window at the palmetto and said if i lose this job i will run right into that road. i thank God i got through it but i will forever bear the scars of 2006.
If you were considering suicide then either you had other issues in your life or you have a very fragile personality Many of us have been through life suituations many times worse than the silly things you post in this forum.

I've been telling you since 2007 under your other screen name: You have a very unhealthy relationship with Miami and you need to relocate. Please stop acting like a victim. Its 2011 and you live in the USA, you have choices. You are not in North Korea or a child slave in China. Sorry for my lack of sympathy but Let me say it once again, you HAVE CHOICES.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:17 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
Seriously though, JETSKIING OK?! LIGHTEN UP!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:21 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiz31 View Post

I don't see anything wrong with this thread. For the most part, it's true from tourists' or the middle classes' point of view, but I know it never was and isn't my reality now. Although I don't feel as negative about Miami or it's people, I do understand why some would get upset if opinions about life here in general are based on a visit or vacation.
Yeah but the OP described a vacation. He did nothing else. At least in this thread he didnt say he was moving to Miami to live like that. This forum is not only read by people who plan to relocate but also by potential tourists.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Yeah but the OP described a vacation. He did nothing else. At least in this thread he didnt say he was moving to Miami to live like that. This forum is not only read by people who plan to relocate but also by potential tourists.
Thank you, Princ3ss.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:49 AM

529 posts, read 1,144,816 times
Quote:
I know, I have nothing against the OP. I actually enjoy reading about people's experiences here. I just figured this whole "discussion" came about from stuff that had been mentioned before in previous threads or topics. I haven't been here on this forum long enough, so I wouldn't know.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiz31 View Post
I know, I have nothing against the OP. I actually enjoy reading about people's experiences here. I just figured this whole "discussion" came about from stuff that had been mentioned before in previous threads or topics. I haven't been here on this forum long enough, so I wouldn't know.
No worries. You seem reasonable and for that reason are a good addition to the forum.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
He doesn't to that that frequently though. He is just upset. This is what Miami does to him. He lives in a distorted reality, everything bothers him. He thinks everybody that lives here is as bitter as he is. But it doesn't matter if this bitterness is real or imagined, it is HIS reality, that's why I keep telling him to move away. I don't think he can understand the concept that some people might have a different opinion and that you can like Miami, or at least not loathe it like it is your worst enemy.

If something causes you grief, you need to stay away from it. That is life. There are far worse things in life than dealing with Daddy Yankees, aggressive drivers or hearing Spanish, but if it irritates you so much, then move. Simple.
I agree with your perspective on life. In general, if I find myself in a toxic situation or surrounded by people that I don't like, I get away from it/them. Life is too short to live in such a way. I lived in Atlanta for a year and I was very unhappy there...I woke up one day and said to myself, "time to go". I went to the office and resigned that morning. I immediately felt better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami