U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,806 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm sure this topic comes up quite often, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on a good location for a young, single male. I have been in the interview process with a company in South Florida and it is looking optimistic that I could have the job.

I would be coming to the city from Memphis (as my name suggests) knowing absolutely no one, which I am perfectly fine with. My job would actually be in Doral, so how would the commute be from downtown Miami? I have been looking online at a few places in Brickell...any others I should look into? Would it be better for commute purposes if I found a place farther north near 395?

Ideally, I would like to find a place to mix and mingle with other young professionals. Being in a reasonably priced cab distance from the nightlife would be best. My price range is from $800 - $1200 per month. Hoping I could find something around $1000 (is that unreasonable?)

On the other hand, are there any places closer to Doral that offer a lot for the young professional in terms of meeting people and nightlife activities?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 09:55 AM

1,583 posts, read 2,665,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis10Tigers View Post
Hello,

I'm sure this topic comes up quite often, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on a good location for a young, single male. I have been in the interview process with a company in South Florida and it is looking optimistic that I could have the job.

I would be coming to the city from Memphis (as my name suggests) knowing absolutely no one, which I am perfectly fine with. My job would actually be in Doral, so how would the commute be from downtown Miami? I have been looking online at a few places in Brickell...any others I should look into? Would it be better for commute purposes if I found a place farther north near 395?

Ideally, I would like to find a place to mix and mingle with other young professionals. Being in a reasonably priced cab distance from the nightlife would be best. My price range is from $800 - $1200 per month. Hoping I could find something around $1000 (is that unreasonable?)

On the other hand, are there any places closer to Doral that offer a lot for the young professional in terms of meeting people and nightlife activities?

Thanks!
I don't know how that commute is, but I suspect it is doable. I really like Brickell for a young professional. That's where I would target. The new baseball stadium will be open in April and downtown/Brickell is becoming a beehive of activity. I was at the Epic Hotel a week ago and it was jammed packed with lots of local professional people. And the women...OMG!

Old 09-21-2011, 03:42 PM

4,621 posts, read 9,881,101 times
South Beach is arguably the best place on the planet for a single male to live. The babe factor is through the roof. It's a long haul to Doral though, but kinda a reverse commute.

Dude I highly recommend SoBe. Start there anyways. It's definitely safe, gorgeous and an utterly intoxicating place to live. Deal with the commute, learn about Miami, get your bearings, and then decide if you want to modify.

Except for traffic issues, I think you'll love it. You'll meet people from all over the world on a daily basis. It's a trip.

EDIT: I guess one thing I should mention however is one big challenge I'm sure you'll have to deal with there is the pace of life. You have to be able to work real hard to make ends meet in Miami. That and the town's full of crazies. But if you're willing to work for it, that city is one crazy carnival. Con mucho carne. ;-) Oh, and you are aware that two years of Spanish in high school will help a lot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis10Tigers View Post
Hello,

Thanks!

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 09-21-2011 at 03:52 PM..

Old 09-21-2011, 03:47 PM

4,969 posts, read 9,644,571 times
Wilton Manors

Old 09-21-2011, 03:53 PM

4,621 posts, read 9,881,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Wilton Manors
Is that in Halifax?

Old 09-21-2011, 04:04 PM

1,974 posts, read 4,195,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Wilton Manors
^^^^^^^

I'm not so sure he's looking for the kind of nightlife that Wilton Manors has.

=)

Old 09-21-2011, 04:31 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,647,809 times
You'd get a pretty decent 1-br for $1200 on the Beach or in Brickell, but with $1k you will find it tougher. Definitely go with SoBe or Brickell if you can afford it! For closer to $1k, Coconut Grove is also an option.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,806 times
Thanks for the insight. Had my second interview this morning...it went well so I'm flying in to meet the VP for the third round.

What are some good websites to find apartments? I'm guessing I may have better luck looking for condos to rent?

Old 09-21-2011, 09:04 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,846,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
You'd get a pretty decent 1-br for $1200 on the Beach or in Brickell, but with $1k you will find it tougher. Definitely go with SoBe or Brickell if you can afford it! For closer to $1k, Coconut Grove is also an option.
$1200 for a studio in Brickell, not a 1 bed. A one bed you're looking at at least $1500+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami