Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:13 AM

261 posts, read 397,168 times

Advertisements

after speaking to lots of different people, i would be interested to know how you approach tipping if you have had extra poor service or extra poor food, what do you do? seems everyone has a different take on what to do? share your thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 11:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAHSELLAR View Post
after speaking to lots of different people, i would be interested to know how you approach tipping if you have had extra poor service or extra poor food, what do you do? seems everyone has a different take on what to do? share your thoughts...
terrible service = no tip. I may even be obliged to call the manager over and complain, depending on how bad the service was. I am not going to reward someone who has done a crap job, makes no sense.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:19 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Poor food - not the server's fault, tip all the same.

Poor service - depends on circumstances, but generally, if it is because of incompetence, the server does not get a tip. Sometimes the managers are dopes on their scheduling and other rules, which can cause poor service from servers.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:22 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Poor food - not the server's fault, tip all the same.

Poor service - depends on circumstances, but generally, if it is because of incompetence, the server does not get a tip. Sometimes the managers are dopes on their scheduling and other rules, which can cause poor service from servers.
Oh hoping onto Boxus band wagon. If the food is poor your supposed to send that back to the kitchen. They cant fix it, i leave and pay for whatever drink I had, but not the food. I tip the waiter/waitress though

Old 11-17-2011, 12:07 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times
If the problems were that they got the order all wrong,were jerks or not friendly at all or were inattentive while not looking busy at all then they deserve 10% or less depending on how severe it was.If they insulted you or your wife along with any of the above then no tip is fine.If they were busy and were not as attentive as possible you can't fault them for that as you don't know if they had 6 or more tables and simply can't be everywhere at once.The food is also not their fault if it didn't come out right,if they screwed up a modified order then yeah that's their fault but just being busy or the kitchen not getting it right is not their fault.Most of the major restaurants the servers end up paying like 5% of their sales to other staff members so a 15% tip means they're only getting 2/3 of the tip and if you leave no tip that means that they're having to pay out of their pocket the tip outs to other staff members.In my eyes if they were nice and at least gave a crap that's at least 15%,if they were good and everything was great 18-20%,10% if they were not there and the order was screwed up.For me to leave no tip it would have to be a truly horrible experience.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:50 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Depends, I will almost always leave a tip. If the food is terrible as in something is wrong with it or just can't eat it I do not expect to even pay for the meal. If it is just bad tasting, chosed the wrong thing, bad place to eat I will go ahead as normal.

Bad service I will leave a smaller tip around 10% maybe. Terrible service, I will leave very little. Honestly when service is very poor I make sure I leave a very small tip to make the point that, that service sucked... Instead of maybe the server thinking I forgot to leave it.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:19 PM

309 posts, read 619,358 times
exactly FlyMia - for bad service i leave a very small tip just so they get a CLEAR message that it was their crappy service; and not that i'm an idiot who stiffed them, or that i don't know about tipping.

My mom once left a .50 cent tip on a 100.00 meal ... the servers treated her and her friends like dirt since they were teenagers (eating out at a nice place before their prom) - the whole 50 cents was in pennies.... one penny under each thing on the table; even one under an upside down glass of water (using the paper-sliding trick) -- to REALLY make her (messy) point. LOL

Old 11-17-2011, 07:23 PM

885 posts, read 1,552,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAHSELLAR View Post
Rude and attitude = no tips. BUT, did you provocate it? There shouldn't be reasons for a server to be rude to the customers for NO reason.

Too busy and not able to have fast service = tips, but close to 15%.

Bad food = tips, but close to 15% Not server's fault, but might not return to the restaurant.

Fast service, not bothering me too much = higher than 15%.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:22 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Tip your third finger up and the rest down Sarah.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:07 PM

261 posts, read 397,168 times
thanks interesting ansas!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami