Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:15 PM

304 posts, read 617,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoeDavola View Post
I live in Seattle which is a place where you don't need to speak spanish. I have always thought about moving to Miami. However, one concern that I have is that I don't speak spanish. My main concern regarding that is that I'm not sure if me not being a spanish speaker would make it harder for me to get a job.

For example, if I tried to get a job working at a hotel and I only spoke english, would those type of jobs be impossible for me to get? I would like to learn how to speak spanish eventually but the fact is that I currently don't and it would take me lots of time to be able to speak spanish well. It would be hard for me to practice it here in Seattle being that most people here only speak english and I feel that the best way to learn a new language is to be in a place where you can constantly practice it. Maybe I need a spanish speaking girlfriend. Haha. Anyway, I was just curious about some things in Miami. I have only been there once and that was about 10 years ago. I really loved it there.
Not being bi-lingual in Miami will make it almost impossible to find work. You will probably have to commute and work in Broward County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
I live in Seattle which is a place where you don't need to speak spanish. I have always thought about moving to Miami. However, one concern that I have is that I don't speak spanish. My main concern regarding that is that I'm not sure if me not being a spanish speaker would make it harder for me to get a job.

For example, if I tried to get a job working at a hotel and I only spoke english, would those type of jobs be impossible for me to get? I would like to learn how to speak spanish eventually but the fact is that I currently don't and it would take me lots of time to be able to speak spanish well. It would be hard for me to practice it here in Seattle being that most people here only speak english and I feel that the best way to learn a new language is to be in a place where you can constantly practice it. Maybe I need a spanish speaking girlfriend. Haha. Anyway, I was just curious about some things in Miami. I have only been there once and that was about 10 years ago. I really loved it there.
The need to know Spanish is hyped up here. If a job requires you to know Spanish, it is most likely because the person hiring wants "one of their own" in that position. You will never be fluent enough for them compared to the hordes of native speakers here. And if you are going to put that much effort to learn Spanish to get some low skilled job, why not just divert that effort to obtaining some skills and net yourself a higher paying job? Without the worry that your language learning is a waste because you will never be fluent enough to satisfy someone looking for "one of their own".

Now yes, some jobs needing to know Spanish is a bona fide job requirement, but not nearly as many as advertised, a deaf person can be a house cleaner, yet for some reason bilingual is needed? And the bilingual actually means knowing Spanish fluently and maybe five words of English. By the way, Miami seems to be the only place where bilingual only means knowledge of English and Spanish, not just two languages as it really means.

I have lived here for over a year and not knowing Spanish has not been a problem one single time. Some people go cuckoo over someone not being able to describe to them something in perfect English. Hands signals, a few numbers, and some common sense will get you by if a language barrier ever comes up.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:30 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,807 times
Quote:

You need a __________ speaking gf. That is the fastest way to learn the ________ language.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 PM

309 posts, read 619,458 times
Quote:
Miami seems to be the only place where bilingual only means knowledge of English and Spanish, not just two languages as it really means.
nope, this is another thing that is not specific to Miami at all.

the colloquial meaning of 'bilingual' is different every place one goes.... it's whatever the 'local norm' is, whatever 2 languages are the most-used ones in that particular place.

In Honolulu, 'bilingual' refers to English and Japanese - in Mexico, like here, it's Spanish and English - in Canada, Haiti, and Tahiti, it means French and English; and so on, all over the world.

Last edited by catt6; 12-13-2011 at 09:35 PM..

Old 12-14-2011, 03:26 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,982 times
In Miami's Spanish Slang, a "Bilingual" is a gay person.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:27 AM

529 posts, read 1,145,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
In Miami's Spanish Slang, a "Bilingual" is a gay person.
Haha. I didn't know that. Wait, so is gay "Bilingual" or "Bilingue"? Or both?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:02 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
nope, this is another thing that is not specific to Miami at all.

the colloquial meaning of 'bilingual' is different every place one goes.... it's whatever the 'local norm' is, whatever 2 languages are the most-used ones in that particular place.

In Honolulu, 'bilingual' refers to English and Japanese - in Mexico, like here, it's Spanish and English - in Canada, Haiti, and Tahiti, it means French and English; and so on, all over the world.
You are probably right, I was going from my experience living in a few other countries where when bilingual was needed, the specific langauge was also stated. When I was stationed in Hawaii, I never paid attention to the job market, but I do not recall anyone making an issue of langauges, at least not to the extent it is made out here.

Anyway, I still think the need to know Spanish in Miami is hyped up.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:46 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiz31 View Post
Haha. I didn't know that. Wait, so is gay "Bilingual" or "Bilingue"? Or both?
-----

Bilingüe, there's an old song "Abelardo" that mentions the word.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:01 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,249 times
Even if you got the job not speaking Spanish would likely be a hindrance at some point in your everyday life.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:40 AM

261 posts, read 705,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I know when my wife applied at several of the upscale downtown/Brickell hotels (event staff, banquets, reception), the first thing she was asked is "Do you speak Spanish?" Which is ironic since she's Asian, and you'd think they would be interested in establishing her ENGLISH ability first!
There are Asians living in the Caribbean and Latin America who do speak Spanish, and some of them move to Florida. My wife is Asian, and one of my daughter's friend's families is from the Dominican Republic. His Mom asked my wife if she spoke Spanish, and then explained that there are Spanish speaking Asians there, so she was just curious where we came from. So, he might have really just wondered if she knew Spanish.

To the OP - we go down to Miami frequently, and almost everyone speaks English. We never have a problem, but employment might be a different issue. I would recommend checking out Palm Beach and Broward, too. They are very similar, but more culturally diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami