Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:44 PM

110 posts, read 267,847 times

Advertisements

I posted this on the travel forum but then thought who better to ask than Miami residents... forgive me as I really don't know much about the Miami Beach area.

Husband and I are heading to Miami Beach this winter for a long weekend. Everyone says to stay in South Beach, but I wonder if there are other beaches we should consider. We're mostly looking for a relaxing weekend in a warm spot with some beach time, don't care about clubs/partying. We're certainly not opposed to South Beach, and regardless of where in Miami Beach area we stay we'd like to meander around South Beach for the people watching if nothing else, but want to make sure we can sleep at night (this is really the biggest concern about South Beach). Any thoughts on where we should look to stay - specific areas, hotels, etc? We already purchased tickets to Miami so recommendations need to be for the general area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 09:43 PM

102 posts, read 230,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofone View Post
I posted this on the travel forum but then thought who better to ask than Miami residents... forgive me as I really don't know much about the Miami Beach area.

Husband and I are heading to Miami Beach this winter for a long weekend. Everyone says to stay in South Beach, but I wonder if there are other beaches we should consider. We're mostly looking for a relaxing weekend in a warm spot with some beach time, don't care about clubs/partying. We're certainly not opposed to South Beach, and regardless of where in Miami Beach area we stay we'd like to meander around South Beach for the people watching if nothing else, but want to make sure we can sleep at night (this is really the biggest concern about South Beach). Any thoughts on where we should look to stay - specific areas, hotels, etc? We already purchased tickets to Miami so recommendations need to be for the general area.
South Beach has all the action of the nighlife . It even offers a nice area of shops and cafe's along Lincoln Road . It is not my favorite beach though which happens to be Delray Beach (one hour north of Miami) .

If however you prefer a quiet beach vacation in a private resoort that is safe and where ones blood pressure can drop in relaxation .. then Sanibel and captiva Island are the way to go. It is on the west coast of Florida (exactly 3 hours drive from miami or 30 min from Ft Myers) . At the northern tip of Captiva is a resort called South Seas Plantation . They rent standard rooms .homes and villas (I recommend the Marina Villa or Lands end Villa) ,have every water activity (my favorite is waverunner tour with dolphins in the wild) , five start golf, tenis , amazing place !!!!

So it depends what you like . I might opt for the weekend at south Beach and the rest on Captiva.

I found some photos I too while at captiva.

Last edited by yrralis1; 12-07-2011 at 10:05 PM..

Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 PM

And Delray --

Old 12-08-2011, 07:35 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,371,803 times
Stay in South Beach, you will be fine. This way you don't have to deal with cabs and do a lot of walking. Most of the shops, restaurants, bars, are between 5th Street and 20th Street. The Loews, Tides, Delano, Ritz, Setai, The Standard or the Raleigh are all nice.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:52 AM

Thanks, good to know sleeping won't be a problem. Any suggestions for hotels that won't break the bank but will allow for some peace and quiet? Preferably under $300/night.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:11 PM

7 posts, read 22,428 times
Doggiebus is 100% accurate. Stay in South Beach. The hotels he named are all nice ones. Because there are so many hotels here competing with one another, even during peak travel season, you can find really nice places for the price you mentioned. Also try the Gansevoort, Bentley, National, the Shore Club and the Betsy. Also, the Fontainebleau isn't in South Beach, its about 20 blocks north, but it's very nice as well.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by templeowl0307 View Post
Doggiebus is 100% accurate. Stay in South Beach. The hotels he named are all nice ones. Because there are so many hotels here competing with one another, even during peak travel season, you can find really nice places for the price you mentioned. Also try the Gansevoort, Bentley, National, the Shore Club and the Betsy. Also, the Fontainebleau isn't in South Beach, its about 20 blocks north, but it's very nice as well.
Did you check the rates at places like the Shore Club ? The lowest rate that i saw for December was still over 400 (without parking or tax) not to mention that the when one walks out the front entrance the buildings in front of it are old and abandoned and (in my opinon) dismal looking . In fact even the rooms at 700+ a night in some of the more lavish hotels still face the boardwalk where loitering homeless are not an uncommon site .

This is a beach vacation for a person who doesn't like clubs or noise ? I just don't get it . But that's just my opinion and perhaps I am the minority .. but that's fine by me.

At sub 300 a night on South Beach in the winter I would just cancel the vacation and stay home and keep the money rather than incur the expense to get an inferior room on a low floor with street noise.

The the Op -- Good luck on the trip plans in whatever you decide . i mean that sincerely . The screen name "can'tthinkofone" really sums it up well . Great choice.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:03 PM

Thanks, I appreciate all the input! I think we'll be able to find a hotel that fits the bill.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:54 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,201,068 times
Default Great Place to Visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofone View Post
Thanks, I appreciate all the input! I think we'll be able to find a hotel that fits the bill.
If you are just going for the weekend you will love almost any hotel on the beach...try these sites .... kayak and/or sidestep ... either will allow you to search hotels in South Beach ... prices are steep even in the off season ... my wife and I love the pool at the Loews hotel on Collins Ave ... and it is close to Lincoln Road so you can do some shopping in case it rains ... you can also try seemiamilive another web site that might offer you some help .... enjoy the beach ...

Old 12-09-2011, 02:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,011,170 times
Stay in SouthBeach. It's more than just clubbing. SouthBeach is essentially Miami Beach's downtown with all the shopping, restaurants and other attractions at your fingertips.
If you stay off the ocean, the prices are considerably less than oceanfront. There are SOOO many choices for hotels that nobody can possibly know everything about all of them. If staying a block away from the beach is okay with you, check out Dream, The Catalina, The Albion & the Sanctuary Hotel. If I were coming to Miami Beach, I'd look between 11th and 20th streets since they are closer to things that you probably want to do and are more walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami