Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:15 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,275 times

Advertisements

I'm not a Miami fan for the most part, but I don't see that it's entirely awful people-wise. We haven't gotten apple pies from our neighbors but they have given us pupusas, avocados, chocolates. We cut each others grass, watch out for each other etc. We're not really "friends" but we're neighborly and "friendly." It was the same in my old neighborhood although we were more "friends" with everyone but probably because we all had small children so did more together with birthdays and kids always being at each other's houses.
My very elderly in-laws have some of the most unbelievable neighbors I've ever seen. They live off of Bird Rd and 87th in a very non-descript house and neighborhood. These people bring them coffee all the time - daily - homemade food, gifts. They watch the house when my in-laws are out of town.
There is a lot of rudeness and aggressiveness here, but there are also a lot of nice, polite people too. Last night we went to Publix, had a super polite deli employee and then at checkout the cashier asked my husband in very accented English if he would like to donate $1 for the food drive thing they're doing. He said NO! Then said I'd like to donate $5. We all laughed and then she added a $5 off $50 coupon to our bill and we thanked her and she said sometimes you have to give to receive. We also had come from Costco earlier and everyone was nice there too even when my husband got a sausage after they were closed and needed onions that had already been put away. They gave him so much he had to return some. If we all went around with better attitudes it would benefit everyone because it almost always rubs off and spreads.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
I moved to Delray Beach two weeks ago and my life is much more pleasant at every conceivable level. I'm back in the USA again!

Delray is to PBC, what Surfside is to Dade. I spent two weeks looking at every rental in my price range from Pompano to Lake worth, both east and west of i95.

I was a man on a mission everyday and all day to find where I fit in south Florida, and Delray was the best match.

I moved here and so far I'm VERY glad I did. I have the same weather, the same beach, the palm trees and fauna but without the hatefulness and seediness of Miami.

I go for days and never see a homeless or panhandler. People smile at work, they let you over in traffic and if you hear a honk, it's usually a honk to say hello.

It costs less up here, its easier living and I have better quality of life for the same pay. Shopping is very good and so far not one single person has started a conversation in Spanish nor have I not been able to communicate fully with anyone.

There is enough party going on not to be boring but not too much to be too crazy. Traffic is light but I never feel I'm the only car on the road.

People are just more reasonable up here, and did I say white? The neighborhoods are more segregated here, whites live in white neighborhoods, Hispanics and blacks their own.

Miami was tortuous for me. It's no secret on this forum I hated almost every single day I lived in Miami, and with that said for the last time, I Love Delray by comparison.

I still think South Florida is a great place to live, work, play and die IF you find where you fit, and one of the worst if you find yourself in a place you do not.

So, that's the final chapter of the Dallas guy that moved to Miami and stayed a year. I still go to work in Miami sometimes and to play, but it's comforting to know I'll never have to live there ever again.

I could have left Florida, but as crazy as I am, I'm not completely insane.
***MOD CUT*** Hispanic is a culture, not a race.

Last edited by doggiebus; 12-15-2011 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: Please no name calling.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:33 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
"Hispanic" is also too broad of a brush to paint people, IMO. I am actually reluctant to use that term. I prefer to say someone is Cuban, Mexican or Puerto Rican. Miami at least opened my mind, in that sense.

Last edited by doggiebus; 12-15-2011 at 06:37 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 03:50 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
------

Delray has shady and sketchy areas, not the case of Boca.

Boca is very nice, perhaps too centered on very old people, but a pleasant place.

Last edited by doggiebus; 12-15-2011 at 06:38 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 09:07 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,933 times
Quote:
I moved to Delray Beach two weeks ago and my life is much more pleasant at every conceivable level. I'm back in the USA again!

Delray is to PBC, what Surfside is to Dade. I spent two weeks looking at every rental in my price range from Pompano to Lake worth, both east and west of i95.

I was a man on a mission everyday and all day to find where I fit in south Florida, and Delray was the best match.

I moved here and so far I'm VERY glad I did. I have the same weather, the same beach, the palm trees and fauna but without the hatefulness and seediness of Miami.

I go for days and never see a homeless or panhandler. People smile at work, they let you over in traffic and if you hear a honk, it's usually a honk to say hello.

It costs less up here, its easier living and I have better quality of life for the same pay. Shopping is very good and so far not one single person has started a conversation in Spanish nor have I not been able to communicate fully with anyone.

There is enough party going on not to be boring but not too much to be too crazy. Traffic is light but I never feel I'm the only car on the road.

People are just more reasonable up here, and did I say white? The neighborhoods are more segregated here, whites live in white neighborhoods, Hispanics and blacks their own.

Miami was tortuous for me. It's no secret on this forum I hated almost every single day I lived in Miami, and with that said for the last time, I Love Delray by comparison.

I still think South Florida is a great place to live, work, play and die IF you find where you fit, and one of the worst if you find yourself in a place you do not.

So, that's the final chapter of the Dallas guy that moved to Miami and stayed a year. I still go to work in Miami sometimes and to play, but it's comforting to know I'll never have to live there ever again.

Glad you liked Delray ... it is veny nice up there and really a gem of an area .. much different feel up there than in Dade .. I too love Florida .. just not so crazy about Miami .

Old 12-14-2011, 09:20 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,321,286 times
Quote:

Congratulations! You moved to one of the best communities in south, FL, IMO. I LOVE Delray Beach. Atlantic Ave is great. Awesome night life, great people and very authentic downtown feel. And lots of Irish folks! I did a lot work in Delray. Check out the apt. project located on 2nd and Atlantic.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:34 PM

98 posts, read 285,354 times
"Hispanic is a culture, not a race"

I grant you, it is not a race, but it certainly isn't a (one) culture.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:10 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcladrad View Post
"Hispanic is a culture, not a race"

I grant you, it is not a race, but it certainly isn't a (one) culture.
It just seems to have become an American way of stereotyping people from Latin America. I don't agree with it. We generalize about "Europeans" in the same way. It's almost like we have to pigeonhole vast groups of people who are nowhere near all the same and are often only united by a common language, currency or skin color.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:28 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,192,944 times
This country simplifies everything to the greatest common divisor. It's also part of the culture to abbreviate words and create acronyms. I think that's more common with English than with other languages.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:46 PM

64 posts, read 171,453 times
I agree with the OP on everything. I've been to Miami numerous times and I simply hated everything about the city. I'm a new yorker and proud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami