Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 04:59 PM

932 posts, read 1,176,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
This country simplifies everything to the greatest common divisor. It's also part of the culture to abbreviate words and create acronyms. I think that's more common with English than with other languages.
I agree. I don't know if the Canadians, Aussies, Brits, Irish and Kiwis are as guilty of the same, but we sure has hell love to abbreviate, generalize and pigeonhole.

(sorry, been reading the political forums too much, which is depressing enough in itself).

Old 12-14-2011, 06:34 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasket View Post
I agree with the OP on everything. I've been to Miami numerous times and I simply hated everything about the city. I'm a new yorker and proud.

I am a New Yorker and love South Florida ... maybe not Miami so much .. but other areas in South Florida are great .. never felt the need to tell everyone how proud I was to be a New Yorker though ... who cares really ?

Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I am a New Yorker and love South Florida ... maybe not Miami so much .. but other areas in South Florida are great .. never felt the need to tell everyone how proud I was to be a New Yorker though ... who cares really ?
The guy wants a parade

Old 12-14-2011, 08:39 PM

98 posts, read 285,331 times
The English speakers I have met used a great deal of slang and abbreviated words. Here in New Orleans it is almost a dialect. People speaking other languages, that I have met, do the same. That also holds true with stereotyping, it is common.

I guess the more complicated the world becomes the more we try to simplify it.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:12 PM

You don't abbreviate at all in Spanish, you tend to say the whole sentence. The world has always been complicated, but now it's more fast paced, though American society is known known for doing things fast without too much... the microwave/ fast food nation culture. However many youngsters in SA and the world are being influenced by it, especially those studying at universities. They now abbreviate their school names... something never heard of 10 years ago. English is also easier to play with. I don't know if there's another language that allows you to do moves like this:

Hi, "Mr.IMAKE4DOLLARSTHEHOUR", are you still teaching at ULBC? I heard you came back from L.A the other day...

Not grammatically correct, but still socially acceptable.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
Well .......

This thread seems to have taken a turn and it's a shame because there are some nice things that Delray has to offer . The size, character, diversity, and way of life can be compared without pointing to streotypes , labeling, or name calling .

Perhaps the word "ghetto attitude" ought to be defined on a broad scale applicable to anyone regardless of race , ethnicity ,socioeconomics etc.

I would define "ghetto attitude" as a selfish , simplistic , need to affirm ones own ego . A person can even be wealthy and successful and still display this attitude (Ie celebritites) . It's all about "I , I , I, and me, me, me " attitude where somehow self esteem is an entitlement and actual respect isn't something a person earns . This attitude can be found anywhere .. but it is very visible in Miami .

Rather than speculate theories (as to why) it might be more accurate to list observable trends . Here's a few ...

1) A constant need for attention .
2) The person is never wrong . It is always someone else who has the problem ( the scapegoat) .
3) They can criticize BUT any criticism of them is not tolerated (and even may spark a narcissistic rage) .
4) Deception and lying -- They will misquote you right to your face and many times make more of an effort to be dishonest than if they just did the proper thing right from the start.
5) Lack of empathy -- The person is not capable of seeing how someone other than him/her self feels because his feelings are the only thing that matters .
6) Impulsive ( and perhaps even wreckless behavior ). Behavior and attitude is based on how one feels in that moment.
7) The "poor me" mantra ... This individual always plays the victim to the drama he creates and perpetuates . (The term "drama queen" sound familiar?)

They are adults but have the emotional maturity of a child on a verge of a tantrum . When upset .. they might even appear like an adult having a tantrum.

Now whether this behavior stems from insecurity , or lack of sophistication , or lack of emotional development .. or some other theoretical explanation .. it still has its impact on others . The degree or severity can vary but the impact can be seen in business , in personal relationships and friendship , in daily interractions , and even in taxpayer cost to provide counseling or extreme cases legal consequences .
You mean narcisisim? Its genetic and usually results from being neglected as a child

Old 12-14-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allcladrad View Post
Pear Martini,

"Wow, you are just a plain racist"

Why because he feels more comfortable living among people he feels more comfortable living amongst or because he admitted it?

Are the residents of Little Haiti racist? Of course not, but they are probably more comfortable than if they lived in Kansas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
plus one on this. Nothing worng with want ing to live among people who are similiar in culture, ethnicity, and race. Many people do it and go without criticism, that is why we have numerous ethnic communities throughout the US.

I segregate myself by socioeconomic status, even though it would be cheaper for me to rent in Overtown, I choose Brickell because the building and people in it match my economic status, therefore I am comfortable around them. My money, my choice, and judging by things, I am not alone in this concept, not even close.

He didn't say "I live in a white neighborhood now and I feel more at ease" he said "I like it because blacks segregate themselves, whites segregate themselves and whites segregate themselves"

I'm so glad I don't live in the South anymore.

I like to live in liberal yuppie neighborhoods because I like being around educated liberals because I'm an elitist liberal ******* and proud to be one.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Yes, you are. No pussyfooting around. That is the truth.

I am a white (non-hispanic) guy who has been to Miami on business and pleasure and never had any of the issues you describe.

But I'll take your comments with a grain of salt b/c on another thread you claimed an ATM in Miami dispensed COUNTERFIT BILLS!!!! You are a comedian.

He chose to live in one of the worst neighborhoods of Miami. Its like a Cuban moving to a trailer park in Gary, Indiana and judging all Americans based on that experience.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

I like to live in liberal yuppie neighborhoods because I like being around educated liberals because I'm an elitist liberal ******* and proud to be one.
Second person in the thread to be proud of being something... same day and page too.

Anywayz... I do agree that Jm is not really in the position to talk about a whole county based on Haitians (who are a very small minority) and their neighborhood (one of the three worst). In his venture trough South Florida he had only encountered himself with Hatians, other Caribbeans (which he might confused as Cubans), some Cubans, and New Yorkers.

I don't agree, however, that narcissism is genetically inherited by the parents. Maybe I'm wrong, but I fail to see how blood can transport personality behaviors.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:36 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
He chose to live in one of the worst neighborhoods of Miami. Its like a Cuban moving to a trailer park in Gary, Indiana and judging all Americans based on that experience.
Pear, you're being a little shallow and judgmental. JM vents and does air his dirty laundry a bit, but he's walked what everyone else talks. He just b*tches about the BS he dealt with in a difficult neighborhood.

Bostonians have a name for liberals who talk the talk but don't walk the walk - it's Limousine Liberals. If you're so open-minded and enlightened, why are you in Brighton? Try Dudley Square. Go integrate. After all, people are people, right? I can tell you from 7 years in Lower Roxbury it's not easy. You get bruises. They have a few names for open-minded people like me who "integrate" too ya know - "Pioneers" and "gentrifiers" - not exactly terms of endearment.

I think JM is a pretty open-minded guy. He lived in Chiapas. How many white guys do that? Would you? I agree he shouldn't paint with such a broad stroke, but give the guy a break. Don'tcha you'd be a bit grumpy after being stuck for a year in Lil Haitia?

JM's story in Miami was frankly a tragic disaster. I hope he finds what he came to SF for in Delray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami