Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 12,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I would actually recommend you move north or try and get a job with the federal government. If you move north, get into a union.

If you're set on FL, you're best off in South Florida, specifically Miami. Ft. Lauderdale also does well, but Miami is bigger.

I really want to stay in the South... It's going to be hard to leave Louisiana as it is. I've lived here all my life, but there's just notihng for me anymore. My family used to go to Destin in the early 2000's before the economy got bad, at least I know Florida. Are there any big coastal cities in the panhandle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 PM

407 posts, read 388,726 times
Check out Houston. Learn a trade and start your own business. Much better opportunity than anywhere in FL and you will be closer to home. If you move to South Florida you will feel like you have left the South.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy12 View Post
I really want to stay in the South... It's going to be hard to leave Louisiana as it is. I've lived here all my life, but there's just notihng for me anymore. My family used to go to Destin in the early 2000's before the economy got bad, at least I know Florida. Are there any big coastal cities in the panhandle?
Sometimes what you want and what's best for you contradict each other.

I think you've answered your own question.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:59 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
Quote:
Thanks for the complement! I've heard that Miami is pretty crazy and hard to live in. Is there anywhere in South Florida or Florida as a whole you can recommend to look into? I have heard that Sarasota outside of Tampa is a good place?
It might be better, but that doesn't mean it's good. Just maybe a little less bad. I think it's incredibly hard to make it here with a minimum wage job and no family to help you. Do you speak any Spanish? Maybe a city like Austin or Phoenix would be easier since you don't need to be bilingual and it's cheaper than here.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 12,939 times
what about tallahassee?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Quote:
what about tallahassee?
The only real metropolis in FL is the Miami metro.

Coming in behind Miami would be Tampa, Orlando and in a very big stretch, Jacksonville.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
what about tallahassee?
My son lives in Tallahassee and is very happy there. He has a few very good friends there so he is not totally alone. He lucked out with a job in retail where he has a great boss giving him a wonderful opportunity and he is finally going to make a decent salary. He had to put in his time not making too much and we had to help him out. The cost of living is lower for him especially the rent. I think it's easy to find roommates to live with too since it's a real college town. Around May and June is usually a good time to find a job when the college kids have gone home and left theirs. Other times of the year, it's pretty hard because there are so many kids there looking for work.

My son would rather starve up there than move back down to Miami. He likes the smaller town feel, the Southern feel (Miami is not the South). You also have 4 seasons there. Not in Miami. You should see if you can check it out for a few days to see what you think. What one person thinks is great, another might not.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:33 PM

Edited to add that Tally is not a big city. It may be considered a small city or big town. Might not be what you're looking for.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:46 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,878 times
To the OP: You have a good reason for leaving your current town (no jobs). However, you are proposing moving to another area (south Florida) which has one one of the nation's highest unemployment rates, and that also without a job. I recommend you widen your search to anyplace where you can find a good job (not a temporary hourly, preferably), move there, work for a while and get experience, possibly even some schooling, and then think about moving to a specific area or city down the road if you're not happy.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
^^^That is the best advice OP. Make sure you have a job lined up before you come or one year of savings to live off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami