U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 26,355 times

Advertisements

Hi, sorry I'm new here and asking this question before I leave for my trip to Miami next week! Before you judge me, no I'm not a weirdo. I'm a single, attractive and in shape 25 year old male. I enjoy wearing thong swimwear (if you got the body why not right?). My question is, can a male wear thong swimwear on Miami Beach or will I get harassed by people and made fun of? It's my understanding that Miami is the thong capitol of the U.S right?

If I can wear thongs, what would you recommend the best area of the beach to wear them? I know 12th street is gay and would prob be more liberal, but even though I wear thong swimwear I am not gay, so anywhere else? Sorry that this is my first thread but I want to know before I get on the plane! Can't wait to soak up the sun. Thanks.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-28-2012, 11:04 AM

4,969 posts, read 9,632,382 times
Depends where you go. Like NMB is more local family oriented, so you might get looks, not judgmental looks though, but Sobe is more touristic so I guess you'll fit in there. I don't know about the gays in Sobe, last I heard they migrated to Wilton Manors.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:15 PM

18,088 posts, read 17,301,521 times
You will not get harassed or anything, it is not like someone is going to come up to you and start something with you, well at least no more of a chance than any other random person would have for what ever reason. For making fun of, I am sure you will get some giggles from some people.

But yes, people will think you are gay. Not that it matters to you (unless you are trying to strike it up with a girl), but more than a few gay guys wear thongs, so it would be a just assumption to think any guy wearing a thong is gay.

I say just do what the heck you want, why be concerned what other people you do not even know thinks? You are on the beach, if you were talking about going for a walk around town, then I would have a different view.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:53 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,454,827 times
Let me know when you are going to the beach so that I can plan something else for that day.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:16 PM

4,621 posts, read 9,867,732 times
Gays in Miami Beach are very aggressive. Expect some commentary at the very least.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:36 AM

786 posts, read 1,336,468 times
Default It depends on how affected you are by "what they will say".

American society is very conservative in some aspects in regarding showing-skin etiquette especially when going to the beach. I remember a girl being arrested because she was topless the other day in South Beach.

I found out about these stupid etiquette when I went to a Sobe Beach. In Latinoamerica people feel more relaxed when it comes to show skin. However, thongs were very popular in the 80's, and they have been cataloged as "tacky", " poor taste" or even "gay" when it's worn by a man.
I think it becomes more a matter of fashion better than sexual orientation especially if you are masculine enough and great personality.

My advice for you would be that take out that thong from your suitcase and show it to the world..

Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 PM

14,824 posts, read 17,880,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
American society is very conservative in some aspects in regarding showing-skin etiquette especially when going to the beach. I remember a girl being arrested because she was topless the other day in South Beach.

Really? I suspect the arrest may have been for something other than being topless.....under influence, outstanding warrants, abusive to the cops etc.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:15 PM

14,824 posts, read 17,880,728 times
As for the male banana hammock thong idea........go for it but yes people will point/heckle and the gay guys will hit on you "butt" that is the price you pay to let it all hang out!

I can't imagine it takes up that much room in your suitcase, so bring it, wear it under a pair of shorts and feel out the beach crowd of the day and if the mood feels right then let the buns get some sun!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 26,355 times
Haha thanks guys. Just want to make sure I wouldn't get haggled by the police or the locals. This is my first time to Miami beach. I know the whole "gay" image etc but believe it or not I'm a masculine dude. I'm a muscular guy, 5'11" 235 lbs bodybuilding so I'm not worried about it.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 25,635,603 times
It is pretty common for bodybuilders to wear a thong, so I doubt it will be an issue. Personally I think it's ridiculous to go almost naked in the sun but then again, I live inland as far from salt water as possible. Gay guys are relatively harmless, unless someone gets a disease from having sexual relations with one. Since I am non-muscular (skinny) and the same weight as you, I am immune from homosexual advances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami