Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 AM

535 posts, read 1,411,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
If you plan on staying in the restaurant industry, I might suggest you look at jobs before you move. You're not going to be making $20-$30 per hour, that's for sure!

In advertising the bulk is going to be sales and you'll be commission based. Again, not all roses.
You're soooooo optimistic.......

I know there's no place called utopia, but I'll have more opportunity up north than in Miami. In Miami, they're paying $10 for what I plan to do, I cannot make a living with that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 10:46 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
You're soooooo optimistic.......

I know there's no place called utopia, but I'll have more opportunity up north than in Miami. In Miami, they're paying $10 for what I plan to do, I cannot make a living with that....
Just being real here.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:06 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Miami has been selected the Most miserable city in America, cheers.

Miami named most miserable U.S. city | Reuters

They must have polled the regulars from City-Data's Miami board.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:51 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
Quote:
What I'm trying to say is that before the recession I never saw so many street vendors, beggars, and food trucks in places such as Kendall, Doral, Westchester.... especially West Kendall. It looks ghetto, this place is going downhill...
I live in West Kendall and hardly see any street vendor, if you mean we have small bazaars you have another thing coming. BTW, kids selling roses at intersections dates back to before the recession and food trucks are just like the same story.

Beggars?? Only homeless people in West Kendall:

The "plastic bag lady", the "old greeting guy", the "Kart lady" (haven't seen this lady for years), the "wheel chair guy" (I actually had a conversation with this fella) and other few less known. But guess what, they've been around since the early 90's or probably more. Those few guys, who by now are like in their 70's or 80's, could be considered mentally handicapped, and they are Americans (gringos, if you want to use that term), not immigrants who brought their "3rd world mentality" as you say, btw.

If you've been around you know pretty much everyone from the streets.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:30 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,249 times
I don't see West Kendall as being ghetto either. Yeah, it's not the Gables, but it's far from ghetto. The only homeless I've ever seen is I think Winterfront's Kart lady. She was my neighbor in the 80's up to a little after Andrew. She was a teacher. Her husband left her and she somehow went crazy and was never functional again. I haven't seen her in a long time. I did see one guy sleeping out by Kendall Ale House once a few months ago. Street vendors have been around since forever, nothing new. I don't consider that ghetto either. The graffiti does bother me and that screams ghetto to me. I hate it.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:40 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,249 times
Quote:
What I'm trying to say is that before the recession I never saw so many street vendors, beggars, and food trucks in places such as Kendall, Doral, Westchester.... especially West Kendall. It looks ghetto, this place is going downhill...
Food trucks is a fad. It's all over the country, not just Miami. That doesn't have anything to do with the recession. I've never been "begged" in West Kendall either.

When considering pay scales, you must also take into consideration state income tax. States that have it will pay you more. Obviously, FL has no state income tax so the pay scale is lower. Not saying the pay is great in FL because it isn't, just that you need to take into consideration your actual take home pay when you move. I remember a website where you could put in what you make in one place and it would tell you what you need to make in another for it to be equivalent. Anyone know what that website is?

Old 02-10-2012, 06:24 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,512 times
I agree,the food trucks are a national thing and I like them for the most part.Beggars and people selling things on the street have increased big time,has anyone seen the guy dressed in a suit asking for money on Kendall dr and US 1.West Kendall is not ghetto but it definitely has parts that are sketchy,and sketchy is one step short of ghetto.Just a few days ago I was waiting at the red light in front of the Kendall Wal Mart,this old guy appeared to be waiting for a bus and then he just lays down to go to sleep and grabs a beer under the seat,is he waiting for a bus or is he calling it a night.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
The only homeless I've ever seen is I think Winterfront's Kart lady. She was my neighbor in the 80's up to a little after Andrew. She was a teacher. Her husband left her and she somehow went crazy and was never functional again. I haven't seen her in a long time.
Wow,,, so that's her story? That's really sad, depressing and horrible.

It must be awkward seeing your teacher ending up like that. This totally ruined my day.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
I agree,the food trucks are a national thing and I like them for the most part.Beggars and people selling things on the street have increased big time,has anyone seen the guy dressed in a suit asking for money on Kendall dr and US 1.West Kendall is not ghetto but it definitely has parts that are sketchy,and sketchy is one step short of ghetto.Just a few days ago I was waiting at the red light in front of the Kendall Wal Mart,this old guy appeared to be waiting for a bus and then he just lays down to go to sleep and grabs a beer under the seat,is he waiting for a bus or is he calling it a night.
I used to do that too under the tree at La Vaquita. But I didn't do it with the beer though. Usually there is a group of people hanging around there (drink beer, sell pot, sleep, wait for the bus, etc...), all of them know the "wheel chair guy". Most of the time they are new faces, but the guy on the chair is the permanent one. I haven't been there for like 2 years now... don't know what is of that place anymore.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:16 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I live in West Kendall and hardly see any street vendor, if you mean we have small bazaars you have another thing coming. BTW, kids selling roses at intersections dates back to before the recession and food trucks are just like the same story.

Beggars?? Only homeless people in West Kendall:

The "plastic bag lady", the "old greeting guy", the "Kart lady" (haven't seen this lady for years), the "wheel chair guy" (I actually had a conversation with this fella) and other few less known. But guess what, they've been around since the early 90's or probably more. Those few guys, who by now are like in their 70's or 80's, could be considered mentally handicapped, and they are Americans (gringos, if you want to use that term), not immigrants who brought their "3rd world mentality" as you say, btw.

If you've been around you know pretty much everyone from the streets.
I've seen the guy in the wheelchair (I give him money whenever I see him), but I've seen a young lady wearing a long skirt and passing flyers beggin for help, also I saw a 20 something girl asking for money displaying a poster that she needs to help her sibilings by the town and country area. However, recently, I've seen people selling water bottles, avocados, oranges, churros and even puppies in the Kendall area... I live in 152 ave outside and there's people selling avocados, this is just recently....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami