Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 PM

525 posts, read 761,093 times

Advertisements

Who has the stronger sun intensity? Or are the equal? Suppose they both are an 80 degree angle above the horizon?

( I realize at the same time they are not- but compare both places at an 80 degree sun angle for instance)

I am curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
The Amazon is 2,123,562 sq mi . Might want to be a bit more specific

Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 AM

What DIFFERENCE does it make? The LATITUDE is generally very tropical.

ALL places in the Amazon have a sun angle of 80 degrees above the horizon at some point. Compare THAT to Miami's summer sun angle of about 80 degrees.

OK, MANAUS ( 80 degree sun angle) vs Miami in the summer ( 80 degree sun angle ) - how does the sun intensity compare?

Miami at it's BEST for sun intensity in the summer vs Manaus?

Your answer IS?

My answer is that Miami WILL NEVER match the sun intensity of The Amazon - ANYTIME. ALTHOUGH, I MIGHT be incorrect.

Last edited by RickSantos; 02-14-2012 at 08:43 AM..

Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Wouldn't the sun be stronger in Miami in the summer because it would be winter in South America?

I don't know, I'm not a scientist, I just play one on TV.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:14 AM

Hi Coconut I appreaciate your honest attempt at an answer.

I was wondering about manaus in general most of year, do you think Miami's summer can match Manaus when Manus is at or near its best?

In other words, Manaus' best vs Miami's best for sun intensity. Would they be equal, or would Manaus win out?

I wonder if Miami in the summer is Amazonian level sunlight? Perhaps I under rate Miami.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
I did this before in Geography labs in College but I had the numbers given to me. I am much too lazy and too busy to try to find numbers for the two places. Miami has more sunny days as it rains much more in Manaus. However Manaus has higher daily temperatures. As for the sun intensity it is likely it would be higher in Manaus.

Given that, if your sitting on the ground in either place for a year you are going to get more sun in Miami just due to the fact that it is cloudly and raining very often in the Amazon. Also if you really want to get to details sitting on the ground in the Amazon your going to have a lot of shade too. Given the location of the two Manaus does get more direct sunlight.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:33 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Well since Miami was voted the most miserable place, then it has the most sun intensity, that explains it all.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Miami has more sunny days as it rains much more in Manaus. However Manaus has higher daily temperatures. As for the sun intensity it is likely it would be higher in Manaus.
I don't think that really has anything to do with it.

Due to Earth's rotations it would be more intense in certain areas depending on the time of year. If there are cloudy days it wouldn't matter- the sun is still out, it's just above the clouds.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:53 PM

Looking at a map Manaus is very close to the equator.

I don't know what happens with the weather at the equator, is it all the same all the time? In that case maybe it is still stronger there in the summer.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:13 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
As a person who has bee there I can tell you my experience:

I've been to the amazon basin, and you don't get a deep brown/golden tan there compared to Miami. There your skin turns yellow... very yellow and it looks like you have anemia or jaundice. The sun hits you there, but it doesn't burn your skin (somehow). It's not like in Miami, where you just go out for like 5 mins and your skin hurts and feels uncomfortable.

I think you should consider going to the Andes... the mountanious (non rain-forest) section of the Andes like Peru, Bolivia, Chile, and Argentina.
Once you go to the deep Andes your skins turns purple and then it lightens and your cheeks and many part of your body turns pinkish red. HOWEVER, U'll get an even red looking tan on the highest elevations (not a brown tan). Try to travel away from the lower grounds as much as possible. Overall I think you'll get a guaranteed tan on the highest elevations of the Andes compared to the Amazon basin... but try to be on the higher levels or else your skin will get lighter with pink spots, or very purple if you don't eat much. The lack of oxygen will have some impact on your skin too.

The Atacama desert is also not a bad idea, but it has weird places where it's always foggy, humid and gray, though it never rains... so try to stay away from those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami