Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 AM

318 posts, read 624,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqu92 View Post
Im a 19 college student living in Atlanta and im transferring to either Floridal International University or University of Miami depending on where i get accepted(hopefully UM). I've been to Miami a couple of times but not long enough for me to get a a real "feel" of the city if you know what i mean. I'm Haitian but at first glance a lot of people assume im Dominican because i have light skin,long curly hair,light eyes etc. etc. so as a result most people dont really question my ethnicity but in Atlanta when i do tell people im Haitian i dont really get negative reactions. however ive heard that people really look down on Haitians in Miami and that they're associated with a lot of negative things. Basicly, i dont want to move to a city where i wont feel "accepted" or looked down upon because of my ethnicity, especially since i don't know how to speak spanish and i heard in Miami its almost necessary to know how.
So can anyone give me an input?

Thanks in advance
The Haitian population is microscopic in Miami. Asking this question is similar to asking how Mongolians are perceived in Miami. Meaning, we don't have the chance to interact with Haitians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 08:05 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
The Haitian population is microscopic in Miami. Asking this question is similar to asking how Mongolians are perceived in Miami. Meaning, we don't have the chance to interact with Haitians.
You raise an interesting point because this shows how segregated Miami can be. If you lived in North Miami Beach or the Biscayne corridor area and spent most of you time east of 95, you might think there are more Haitians, Jews and Anglos than Hispanics in Miami. Haitians tend to live east of 95 or in the Norland and Andover sections of Miami Gardens, and virtually everywhere in Broward County. Also, there is a lot less of a Haitian population anywhere south of 36th Street.

As far as how Haitians are viewed in Miami, it depends. It's hard to generalize because the average person probably won't have any preconceived notions, but if I had to, I would say a few Anglos really look down on Haitians, but most see them as hard working yet poor. Hispanics tend to have a dimmer view towards Haitians, especially darker skinned Haitians, but as I said, the average Miami resident of any background isn't going to generalize an individual.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-21-2013 at 08:18 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 PM

169 posts, read 309,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayNagin504 View Post
I'm from New Orleans and that's the south. You can tell once you enter that place. Extreme racism and separation. It's more of a 3rd world country how you have all the corruption, crime, and violence which cannot be controlled. The black population in Miami is only 19% of the general population. You don't exist compared to the 77% of the white population. New Orleans on the other hand is 60% black. We actually have a bigger footprint but to bad it's in the prisons. Haitians are known for SCAMS aka what you call getting money. Illegal Money or Someone's income tax money.

Did I not just say new orleans was the south?
Overtown is a third world country to the people in dade county.
people from the city call overtown a 3rd world roach infested, poor bum country. And people from everywhere else in dade say the city is a 3rd world country. Understand?
Yeah we a small percent an that what make it so bad, all poor. Understand?
Om talkin about MIAMI not miami dade county. In miami we still alot.
You repeating what I said about haitians, like you tryna tell me sunn new.
I educate you on miami, not the other way around bruh.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
You raise an interesting point because this shows how segregated Miami can be. If you lived in North Miami Beach or the Biscayne corridor area and spent most of you time east of 95, you might think there are more Haitians, Jews and Anglos than Hispanics in Miami. Haitians tend to live east of 95 or in the Norland and Andover sections of Miami Gardens, and virtually everywhere in Broward County. Also, there is a lot less of a Haitian population anywhere south of 36th Street.

As far as how Haitians are viewed in Miami, it depends. It's hard to generalize because the average person probably won't have any preconceived notions, but if I had to, I would say a few Anglos really look down on Haitians, but most see them as hard working yet poor. Hispanics tend to have a dimmer view towards Haitians, especially darker skinned Haitians, but as I said, the average Miami resident of any background isn't going to generalize an individual.
Spanish people down hea, no different then americans (whites).
Haitians mostly live in north miami, lil haiti. Since nmb it's right next to north miami, they started moving in there to.
Most spanish kids in my era have racist family, spanish look at americans (black) no different than the white people look at us.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
U need to come to Doral or Westchester, or Sweetwater or little Managua after going there then try telling me we don't think about ethnicity. it's all we think about we even have county commisners saying don't vote for him his cuban or don't vote for her she's from nicaragua
Spanish people run the politics down here. So what you said wasn't stated right.
What you should said is "one south american nationality has bad stuff to say about the next."
But all agree on giving black people years for petty mistakes.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:45 PM

313 posts, read 647,294 times
I don't buy it bruh

Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
not true we have the highest concentration of haitians in the country with more than 100,000 calling miami-dade co home. you just don't know where to look.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtown_Miami 17 View Post
Spanish people run the politics down here. So what you said wasn't stated right.
What you should said is "one south american nationality has bad stuff to say about the next."
But all agree on giving black people years for petty mistakes.
that's the state of florida that does that. but what I ment to say is that there are clear rivalry within the hispanic population. Colombians don't like Venezuelans for political reasons. hondurans and salvadorans don't get along at all. almost all hispanic look down on nicas and cubans look down on just about everyone who's not cuban sad I know but true.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:51 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
that's the state of florida that does that. but what I ment to say is that there are clear rivalry within the hispanic population. Colombians don't like Venezuelans for political reasons. hondurans and salvadorans don't get along at all. almost all hispanic look down on nicas and cubans look down on just about everyone who's not cuban sad I know but true.
Colombians not liking the venezuelans... hondurians not getting along with salvas, and everyone looking down on nicas....

...What movie is that from? Sounds like a fictional comedy...

Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Colombians not liking the venezuelans... hondurians not getting along with salvas, and everyone looking down on nicas....

...What movie is that from? Sounds like a fictional comedy...
it's the truth go to any area with people that only speak spanish and that is how things will come out. obviously educated hispanics don't think like this but the new arrivals do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami