Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:21 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Extending the FEC line (or just getting it running) to the Port would be the best solution. You could funnel people from FLL and PBI down to the Port.

I know there was discussion about Metromover being extended to the Port, but really that made the least sense to me.
With Central Station at MIA you are right. I did not even think of that. Getting tri-rail to the port would be the best thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
Here's another option, but probably not worth it, it depends how adventurous you are. Park at the airport $8 X 4 days (3 nights = 4 parking days) = $32. You can cut this down to as low as $5/day using off-airport parking at a hotel, you don't necessarily pay the whole amount in advance. I've used the Sheraton just east of the airport many times and would recommend it. If you just miss their shuttle at night, you can actually take the "MIA mover" and the hotel is across the street from the rental car facility, although without a proper crosswalk. Airport Flyer bus to the Metrorail, Metrorail to downtown Government Center, $2.85/person, assume 2 people so call it $6, or $38 so far. Cab fare to the Port is probably under $10 each way, so it's probably going to come out to under $60. You save more if you're willing to walk across to the port (it's a hike, but there's a pedestrian walkway and people do it) or your cruise is at a time that you can use the Seaport Connection bus #243 (peak hours only), which is $.50 to transfer to.

We really should have something like the MIA mover for the Port--call it the Port Mover. Just 3 stops: Government Center, Bayside, cruise terminal. It would also ease the congestion on Metromover on Heat game nights. As I have posted here before, the busiest cruise port in the world is really lacking in facilities. When I went to pick up my Grandma once, they had made everybody wait in the narrow median beside the parking, in the sun, and without access to a bathroom...how pathetic!

Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
If I had my way I would restore the entire FEC line to Key West. Bye bye useless busway and hello tourist train! I would also have made a 7-mile bridge style track to Miami Beach. There is no good reason why the port is not linked to bus/rail except crony corruption.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:22 PM

100 posts, read 335,329 times
That sounds like a lot of math HurricaneMan! lol

Since we're only going on a few day cruise, I think we'll just pay the port fees. It would be nice if there was a cheaper option, but I guess sometimes you just have to pay what they want to know you'll be the safest.

It sounds like staying at a hotel would save a lot of money if we were driving a long way, but we only live a couple hours away. But anyway, thank you all for your help. It's always nice to talk to the locals to find out what the "true" story is. I'll be seeing you all this weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami