Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2016, 06:50 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times

Advertisements

Didn't someone post on this thread or a similar one that Vancouver BC Canada has palm trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 11:43 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times
It does. I was there in June and they have Chinese windmill palms. But not all palms are equal. They are very cold tolerant. St. George Utah is full of palms, but it regularly gets to the 20s in the winter. Palms are not a reliable indicator, but obviously correlated.

I think Coconuts are a better indicator. I've heard they struggle below 50 degrees.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:03 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
In Vancouver you can grow Nanorrhops ritchiana, Trachycarpus fortunei, Chamaerops humilis, and Butia Capitata. Some people have actually had limited success growing Washingtonia robusta, but I've never seen a picture of a tall one there. It's pretty much out of the Washingtonia's range, though you will see it planted in people's yards occasionally.

In Brussels Belgium, same palms as above, though I doubt heavily that you can grow a Washingtonia. There's been a few pictures of some pretty well developed Phoenix canariensis date palms that I've seen. Those will definitely, however, grow with ease in the South portion of England where they get a strong Gulf Stream influence, such as in the Isles of Scilly.

The ones mentioned above can me grown in most mild temperate climates.

However, as far as tropical climate indicators go, coconuts are the true indicator of this, as well as the very narrow trunked palms such as Veitchia merrilee, Chryslalidocarpus decipiens, Carpentaria acuminata, and Thrinax thatch palms.

Also the fully developed tall and healthy Roystonea regias are a good indicator of the tropics.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:08 AM

The "official" coconut line, worldwide begins at 28 degrees latitude, North and South of the Equatorial line. However there is an exception to this rule, which is Bermuda, which is at 32 degrees latitude, and which is fed by the Gulf Stream.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:38 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
In Vancouver you can grow Nanorrhops ritchiana, Trachycarpus fortunei, Chamaerops humilis, and Butia Capitata. Some people have actually had limited success growing Washingtonia robusta, but I've never seen a picture of a tall one there. It's pretty much out of the Washingtonia's range, though you will see it planted in people's yards occasionally.

In Brussels Belgium, same palms as above, though I doubt heavily that you can grow a Washingtonia. There's been a few pictures of some pretty well developed Phoenix canariensis date palms that I've seen. Those will definitely, however, grow with ease in the South portion of England where they get a strong Gulf Stream influence, such as in the Isles of Scilly.

The ones mentioned above can me grown in most mild temperate climates.

However, as far as tropical climate indicators go, coconuts are the true indicator of this, as well as the very narrow trunked palms such as Veitchia merrilee, Chryslalidocarpus decipiens, Carpentaria acuminata, and Thrinax thatch palms.

Also the fully developed tall and healthy Roystonea regias are a good indicator of the tropics.

Coconuts do thrive here in the coast (near Barcelona) but do not bear fruits. Roystinea regias, I've seen them in southern Spain. Of course, not like the ones in the Caribbean or India or some in the Canary Island. Banana trees grow here and sometimes bear fruit, mangos..sometimes bear fruit. We have a giant "ficus" tree growing in the promenade, ficus are supposed to be tropical.

We are at the same latitude than Boston.

We have an autoctonous palm tree that grows very big in Florida, I believe you call it Mediterranean palm tree and of course, date palm trees that are being affected by a plague.

Miami is not tropical, but subtropical.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Coconuts do thrive here in the coast (near Barcelona) but do not bear fruits. Roystinea regias, I've seen them in southern Spain. Of course, not like the ones in the Caribbean or India or some in the Canary Island. Banana trees grow here and sometimes bear fruit, mangos..sometimes bear fruit. We have a giant "ficus" tree growing in the promenade, ficus are supposed to be tropical.

We are at the same latitude than Boston.

We have an autoctonous palm tree that grows very big in Florida, I believe you call it Mediterranean palm tree and of course, date palm trees that are being affected by a plague.

Miami is not tropical, but subtropical.
I'd have to see pictures of that coconut palms for confirmation. Ravenea rivularis can look almost identical to coconuts and the Moreton Bay Fig is a ficus tree that can grow in temperate climates like San Diego, and display a very tropical looking root system.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:14 AM

Ravenea rivularis can also get the same bright color of green as a coconut palm. It has fooled many people.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:24 AM

No, real coconut trees, not the ones in your pic.
The ficus we have is not that big, a large tree but not that big or old....
An old women planted his home ficus in public garden in the promenade, not a long time ago.
Mamey or zapote, large trees, no fruit...mangos..some fruits...
Sugar cane in the past.
And the weather is changing...
Tropical trees are survining here that north.

The ficus tree was large in 1962 - snow year, the tree died but has a rebirth, died again and another rebirth. The three is now protected.

Could not find a pic of the ficus in this town.

Another one from a Ficus in Alicante, 240 miles to the south.

Last edited by karstic; 10-26-2016 at 06:45 AM..

Old 10-26-2016, 06:44 AM

Roystonea sageata? Canary Island

Old 10-26-2016, 07:56 PM

Nothing would surprise me on the Canary Islands but that ficus in Alicante blew my mind. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around coconut palms growing in or near Barcelona. Is it possible that it's some rich dude that plants full size ones and just replaces them when they die. It's a thing in Romania to have exotic palm trees on their Black Sea beaches. Also, Chicago of all places has been putting queen palms and Washingtonias on their beach and boardwalk which they either remove to a greenhouse in the winter, or let them die and replace them the next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami