Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2020, 04:38 PM

18,222 posts, read 8,038,314 times

Advertisements

They've probably all been sold dug up and transplanted by now....they don't suffer from moving

From you...go east on Kendall...cross US1....dogleg cross Red Road...back on Kendall....second street to the south...School House

...down School House to Hammock....it's the street between the two.. kinda off at an angle to the right

around the curve....they used to be way back from the road in the field on both sides...there were some really big licuala grandis on down in front of the old house too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 03:02 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
They've probably all been sold dug up and transplanted by now....they don't suffer from moving

From you...go east on Kendall...cross US1....dogleg cross Red Road...back on Kendall....second street to the south...School House

...down School House to Hammock....it's the street between the two.. kinda off at an angle to the right

around the curve....they used to be way back from the road in the field on both sides...there were some really big licuala grandis on down in front of the old house too

Pulled up a map and bingo I know exactly now the area where is at...I shall investigate and comment, thanxs

BTW on Google Maps there is a picture around the curve 360 degrees...Lots of vacant land but no Palm Trees to be seen.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:38 AM

71 posts, read 64,054 times
The "coconut palms" shown in Malaga and San Diego in previous posts are Kentia Palms. Very nice. Very expensive. Do well in containers - I have a couple. They'll even take a bit of frost. Unfortunately, they don't like the heat and humidity of Miami. Is anyone old enough to remember the Jamaica Tall coconuts? They were gorgeous, and they were everywhere in south Florida. Wiped out by lethal yellowing in the 70's and 80's. Heartbreaking. There are still some in the Keys, and probably still some in SW Florida.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:46 AM

30,157 posts, read 20,875,499 times
More posters wrong about coconuts again. Just unreal neal. Miami is not 100% tropical as we have had cold temps in the past back when we used to have winters in the 1980's. Plus around 1971 thru 75 the coconut tree's had a sickness that killed many jenny. Back in 1981 with that super freeze the nut trees were burned all the way down to Ft Meyers. Mine got killed in Tampa in Jan 1977 when it snowed.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:48 AM

Bob, the nurseries in Homestead are the biggest suppliers of Kentia...they do great in the heat and humidity

Old 09-26-2020, 07:51 AM

30,157 posts, read 20,875,499 times
So many peeps wrong on this subject.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:57 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,622,948 times
I have neighbors that came down from Michigan a few months back, they finally paid attention to my suggestion to go drive around The Redlands and they came enchanted, they just could not believe all the Nurseries in the Area and all they have to offer.. We are under 3 mls from Krome and Kendall Drive and the SW Miami Agricultural Areas.

For Us here in W Kendall, this is part of our S Fla Heaven

Old 09-26-2020, 07:58 AM

71 posts, read 64,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Bob, the nurseries in Homestead are the biggest suppliers of Kentia...they do great in the heat and humidity
OK, maybe I'm making some assumptions about Kentias in south Florida. But I lived there for 10 years, and I saw them in the ground exactly once - at an office building in South Dade. I don't recall any at Fairchild. Anyhow, I guess this is off topic.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:42 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,095,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHoward View Post
OK, maybe I'm making some assumptions about Kentias in south Florida. But I lived there for 10 years, and I saw them in the ground exactly once - at an office building in South Dade. I don't recall any at Fairchild. Anyhow, I guess this is off topic.
You are correct. They are very uncommon here because of the combination of high heat and humidity and as well as the long duration of it. In addition they don't like alkaline soil. When a palm is unhappy in the climate, it also is more prone to diseases.

Nonetheless, people can plant them in the shade, with soil ammendments, while keeping them well watered in the winter and they can survive...but rarely thrive here. They just prefer cooler temperatures than what we have for 6 months of the year.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
.Lots of vacant land but no Palm Trees to be seen.
more than likely they were all sold.....that was one of our secret playing spots when I was little
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami