Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 02:46 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
Didn't I say you didn't have to agree with me? It looks like you don't read bruh and guess what? I don't give a f**k if you disagree with me, if you don't have common sense and the ability to really research true science, nothing I can do for you or want to do for you. I know what I say is fact and I'm not going to debate it with you or anyone so we gonna have to agree to disagree. Plus, you claim you are not going to read my response but you obviously did because you clearly had an opinion on what I said. Get your troll game up man, it's kinda weak dude but I believe in you

And no, Miami does NOT have a tropical climate and it's not up for debate.
LOL. Triggered much, bruh.

For someone bragging about all his science reading, your reading comprehension... eh... not so good, bruh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 05:00 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
This is not scientific, but, we could not successfully grow some truly tropical species outdoors due to cold temperatures during the winter. An example would be the red sealing wax palm, Cyrtostachys renda. Of course a warm microclimate might succeed, but, we tried several times, even keeping this swamp loving palm in one of the pools. The nights got too cold and some years, a strong cold front would come down to Miami, bringing temps in the 30's. Fairchild is about 1/2 mile inland from Biscayne Bay. Staff considered the climate to be subtropical.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
This is not scientific, but, we could not successfully grow some truly tropical species outdoors due to cold temperatures during the winter. An example would be the red sealing wax palm, Cyrtostachys renda. Of course a warm microclimate might succeed, but, we tried several times, even keeping this swamp loving palm in one of the pools. The nights got too cold and some years, a strong cold front would come down to Miami, bringing temps in the 30's. Fairchild is about 1/2 mile inland from Biscayne Bay. Staff considered the climate to be subtropical.
I don't really understand why this is a debate. The scientists that actually did the climate classifications have Southeast Florida firmly tropical, not sub tropical. It's based on very real data. Internet experts trying to argue against it comes off as silly to me. If they believe that so much, then by all means, submit research papers for peer review and get the classification changed. Until then, it's tropical, not subtropical.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:02 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
pop, there's a trick to growing sealing wax.....I know you don't need it up there

Sealing wax is sensitive to temps below 70...it's not the cold that does them in....they get a "cold weather fungus"...for lack of a better word....it's the fungus that kills them

Mancozeb has always been the fungicide of choice....and spray once a month...Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar

...some growers switched over to Propizol....it's systemic...claim they are getting much better results..using it as a pot drench.....I don't know

Old 11-18-2020, 06:09 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
We then Live In S E Monsoon !!!!!

Old 11-18-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
We then Live In S E Monsoon !!!!!
Correct. And downtown Fort Lauderdale is Tropical-Rainforest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami