Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 04:33 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
winter + allen please elaborate
Well with the exception of Hawaii and the Polynesian islands, it seems as if places with more concentrations of palm trees, nice beaches, exquisite landscaping, and mountains (sometimes) are prone to make people become materialistic. I can name some cities off the top of my head.

Miami
Los Angeles
Sao Paulo
Rio De Janeiro
Nice
Ibiza
Naples
Cancun

Last edited by allenk893; 04-09-2012 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 05:03 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
I was talking about something else though...

If Miami had mountains or was settled on a mountainous terrain then:

People would have basements
It'be more difficult to built west, thus making Miami Dade much more denser.
The airport would have been built somewhere else... most probably facing south and north, not east and west. This has a saying on downtown's height.
New hobbies and entertainments created around mountains
People would develop an awareness to the natural disasters mountains bring like landslides....
We wouldn't have alligators as our mascot for everything...

and many other things too that have an affect on people's life.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,249 times
I find it ironic that Pear LOVES "Special treatment for pretty girls" but then HATES "how I have to compete with plastic surgery mutants" and "how ALL of the female friends I had in Miami EVENTUALLY got boob jobs." If you love that the people here give you special treatment for being pretty, then you have to understand why the other two "hates" happen. They want that special treatment too and sadly, feel that's what it's going to take to get it.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:10 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Interesting points Winter and Allen. This would be a good essay topic.

Valicky- you have a point> But it is just so bizarre to me that pretty much every woman I was friends with in Miami eventually caved in and got plastic surgery. These are all women in their 20's or 30's, I don't know I think it's sort of sick how popular it is.

There are certainly things about my appearance I wouldn't mind improving on, but when it comes down to it, shelling out thousands for a Dr. to put bags in your chest, shift bones in your nose, or pump fat into your ass...I don't know it just seems like there has to be something in your soul that makes you feel the need to take such extreme measures

Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

Valicky- you have a point> But it is just so bizarre to me that pretty much every woman I was friends with in Miami eventually caved in and got plastic surgery. These are all women in their 20's or 30's, I don't know I think it's sort of sick how popular it is.

There are certainly things about my appearance I wouldn't mind improving on, but when it comes down to it, shelling out thousands for a Dr. to put bags in your chest, shift bones in your nose, or pump fat into your ass...I don't know it just seems like there has to be something in your soul that makes you feel the need to take such extreme measures
Boob/booty lipo is part of Colombian culture, as far as i know, but for some reason that's not the case here in West Kendall where most of them live. However, some of them take a trip back to their country to get that cheaper yet professional surgery.

As far as nose jobs go, I assume that's a common practice among girls in places like Aventura, NMB and Sunny Isles.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 AM

309 posts, read 619,505 times
hmmpph. just on GP's i loathe this practice of giving more value to pretty people -- as if average looking people are somehow 'less than'. It's stupid and disgusting. and I cannot help but scoff at insecure dummies who buy into this and go get plastic surgery so they can get more attention from these shallow a-holes who only pay attention to 'hotties'. then again i suppose those who want that attention are just as stupid and shallow as the ones who only pay attention to the hotties, so perhaps they deserve one another, lol.

but really i came to add one more 'hate' to my list - FLEAS.

the stray and feral cat problem is a HUGE EFFING PAIN on the beach. it is so bad it's going to drive me right out of Miami Beach, because i cannot get rid of the damn fleas.... i've treated my pets with every different thing i can find and i STILL cannot get rid of them, because the exterior areas are infested - no matter how clean i keep the inside of my home, every time the animals go outside they pick up more of them. I love my wonderful apartment, and love the location, but if I cannot keep the animals' bodies free of these insects I will have to move. it sucks.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:38 AM

109 posts, read 310,890 times
ALL of So. Florida SUX . The Keys to south and North Palm Beach to north only good areas .

You will love SO. Florida if ....

- you have apathy
- you are rude
- you drive like an unedcuated low class angry 25 year old in Ghana
- you dont know or learn speak english
- you are immigrant from poor South American country
- you lease a $75 thousand dollar BMW
- you buy expensive clothes and you're broke
- you enjoy befriending fake people
- you love living in a Ghetto

Old 04-11-2012, 11:57 AM

109 posts, read 310,890 times
i am upset and annoyed because i invested big $ to live a pleasant decent life , however after being in SO FLORIDA more 1 year , i am annoyed at what i see and the people here , their attitudes .

Old 04-11-2012, 12:05 PM

Miami is a society that is a lot about looks and perceptions. This isn't a Miami phenomenon though. Go to CA and AZ and you'll see it's prevalent there as well. I think wherever it's a beachy, sun-worshipping environment, the people get more plastic.

And Vinny - do you live in S. FL? If you do, you need to get out more. You are way too black and white. Learn about some shades of grey. We've got them here if you open your eyes.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:11 PM

catt6 - have you tried something you get from the vet that is like a gel you apply to the back of your pet's neck, between the shoulder blades a I think? My parents had a very bad flea problem with their cats and this took care of the problem completely. Fleas are not a Miami specific problem either. You can have that anywhere. I never had as bad a flea problem as when I lived in OR. My son also has to deal with it in Tallahassee. I wish I knew of an area that didn't have bugs. I hate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami