Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:48 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,885,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouzon View Post
The park is fantastic. I love that it's a neighborhood ballpark. Better than a downtown park imo. Monday and Wednesday I arrived about 45 minutes early and there very little traffic and lots of parking options.

Glad to hear the parking wasn't too bad. It'll only get better as the season goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 PM

245 posts, read 659,891 times
Omg, yes, the National Anthem was strange and the whole Ali thing was just uncomfortable.........I felt so bad for him being carted out there in that fashion.......bad call.....

Amazing stadium!!! Can't wait to go back!

Old 04-05-2012, 06:25 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,962,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
The problem with the tax dollars being used (tourist tax - but still tax dollars being used) was that the organization lied and certain politicians turned a blind eye towards the lies. I read in the paper at least two years before the ballpark was approved how the Marlins organization was in the top in profits. They spend the least and make the most. They should not have gotten tax help in any shape or form. The Yankees on the other hand spend the most and run in the red. That organization loves its baseball. Not Loria and Samson. They could care less about baseball - it's all about the $$$$. Yes, they are a business and should be profitable, but not they way they go about it. Didn't I read something about Loria being the cause for ruining baseball and the Expos in Montreal?

Anyone else miss our announcers on TV last night? I was really hoping that they could've been the ones to handle opening night. It's not the same when ESPN does it. I think our announcers, both in English and Spanish are some of the best in baseball.
Could not care less. And the Yankees are in another league a team worth over 2 billion dollars. The majority of sports arenas these days are very much public funded projects. Just the way it is. Not a good thing.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:51 PM

LOL - yes you're right - could not care less! Yes, the Yankees are in another league. I was just pointing out that they ran in the red the year the figures were posted and the Marlins had the top profit, even at Joe Robbie or whatever it's called today. They shouldn't have received any tax dollars, especially in the underhanded way they did. Those tourist tax dollars can go to lots of other things. Loria is the most undeserving of those tax dollars.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:15 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,102,686 times
I never thought for a minute the park wouldn't be "amazing." The problem is it's cost, it isn't open to the public unless you pay, yet it was paid for by the public. There is a totally deficient transportation infrastructure surrounding the park to get fans in and out....and the park doesn't jive with a low income residential neighborhood. IMO a ball park should be out by Sawgrass or Dolphin Mall where people with money to pay for overpriced parking and tickets can pay for overpriced gas to drive there on overpriced toll expressways and reduce congestion in the urban core. Sorry, I was against this from the beginning. Once the excitement of new wears off, it will be another monument to special interest manipulating politicians into passing the bill to the taxpayers. Another city will surely outdo Miami in the comming years with a flashier stadium and cool new aerial shots. I just don't think Miami needs the Marlins for publicity or to be known. I would have preferred all that investment to be spent in movie and tv subsidies to film here and promote SoFla indirectly vs. what we got.

Remember the Miami Arena, wasn't that supposed to put downtown on the map? And wasn't the AA supposed to do the same a decade later down the block, but that time it was different because Gloria Estefan was part owner with Bongo's and that would somehow magically make it different? We know stadiums, arenas and sports complexes in and of themselves do not draw people other than for short and sporadic events. They usually generate minimal benefits job wise and create huge traffic headaches. I don't think this is mystical knowledge, but people forget this conventional wisdom when it's "their" sports team or "their" hometown. If just the fans and players and owners paid for these white elepahants I would be all over it but not when everyone has to pay for something that won't even be available unless you pay to play. If salaries for players can be in the multi million dollar range, I don't believe millionare owners can't build their own parks, what a scam. On top of that, there is the merchandising on all the clothing out there, stadiums designed to have premium luxury suites for maximized profits...it is amazing they get away with this. Oh well, enjoy the new stadium, you paid for it, and will continue to do so if you actually go...

Old 04-07-2012, 10:42 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,469,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
Miami's large immigrant & transplant population makes it hard for sports teams to gain traction in the area like they do in more provincial, traditional cities like say Chicago or Pittsburgh. I read somewhere that only 1/5 of Miami's population are locals (born and raised in the area). Even the Dolphins who are the "Gold" standard for sports teams in Miami have had trouble in recent years with attendance. It's the nature of the beast in South Florida, this is also why civic involvement is so low in the area. Too many people with strong ties with another city or country, not enough "Miamians".
This.

Immigrants most of the time could care less about sports team, whether they win or lose. They have better things to worry about than a sports team with overpaid people win or lose.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:07 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,152,086 times
Quote:
LOL - yes you're right - could not care less! Yes, the Yankees are in another league. I was just pointing out that they ran in the red the year the figures were posted and the Marlins had the top profit, even at Joe Robbie or whatever it's called today. They shouldn't have received any tax dollars, especially in the underhanded way they did. Those tourist tax dollars can go to lots of other things. Loria is the most undeserving of those tax dollars.
Don't believe everything you read ...... especially from sources that are funded very heavily by guys like Norman Braman who happen to be very opposed to the stadium deal for personal reasons.........

Even the "news" understands not to bite the hand that feeds

Old 04-10-2012, 06:09 PM

I didn't read the article in a local paper. It was a sports piece listing all the teams in order from who made the most profit to least and who spent the most to least. FL Marlins were at the top in profits and the bottom in $$$$ spent.

Here's one article showing what the Marlins have been doing for years to the point that they actually were ORDERED to spend the $$$$. Has that ever happened before? A team that's been ordered to spend some money on the team, but then there they are with their hands out for tax dollars.

RealGM Baseball: Wiretap Archives: Baseball's Team-By-Team Profits And Losses

Old 04-11-2012, 04:06 AM

202 posts, read 565,787 times
Quote:
Have you tried doing the dances the dancers do? It's not that easy. I think they're athletic. Scimpily clad yes, but they're not just laying around in their skimpy costumes. I was wondering what the Cardinals thought of each Marlin being paraded out by the Carnival girls. They really looked ridiculous. And Ali to throw the first pitch was so sad. Honor him in some other way. Seemed to accentuate how sick he is now instead of honoring him. And the national anthem. Didn't work in the 60's, still doesn't work now. We get it - they're trying to cater to Hispanics to get them to come to games. But come on - it still is America's national pastime. Couldn't they leave one thing American - the national anthem? I like Jose Feliciano, but I think he can only hit a certain range of notes so he "rearranged" the anthem to suit his voice and claimed he put his spin on it. We have Latin performers who can hit the notes of the anthem the way it's supposed to be sung. They should've used one of them. I think the game matched the festivities. About a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10. I do think the stadium is gorgeous!!!

Baseball is more of a Cuban thing in Miami, the name "los marlines" is corny as hell. I think that the name should be Almendares.

As to singing the national anthem, I personally find it corny and kitsch but I guess it must be compulsory.

Last edited by buahh; 04-11-2012 at 05:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami