Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 03:20 PM

7 posts, read 8,332 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to South Florida. I wonder what you do when they have pets and need to go out of town during the hurricane season. Do you hire a pet sitting service? Or do you bring your cat or dog to a boarding place? What does your pet sitter do if a hurricane watch is issued and you're not able to make it back from your trip on time? I'm wondering what the best option for my cat would be. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by mischievousmike; 04-11-2012 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 04:08 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Friends and family watch my dogs when we leave town. I will say this we typically avoid travelling during hurricane season, it actually works out well as we avoid the crowds in the summer.

We have boarded before, there are plenty of good place to board your cat. Each place has different policies if a storm threatens, some places do keep dogs during storms some do not. As far as a pet sitter, each has a different policy as well, you will need to find one that will work with you just incase a storm does threaten while you are gone. You don't want to leave your pet alone during a storm.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:45 PM

Thanks. I appreciate your input.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 PM

245 posts, read 662,628 times
I generally don't travel if there is a hurricane approaching the area.....but I do have a pet sitter that comes to the condo 3 times a day when I am away.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 PM

Forgive me for my naivety. I was under the impression that you only know that a hurricane is going to hit about 48 hours in advance. (I thought that the warning is issued 48 hours in advance, when the forecasters are certain.) Am I wrong? My thought was, I might go out of town for a week or two, and half-way into my trip, a hurricane warning is issued.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:03 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Yes Watches are given out 48 hours in advance of a storm. The local news will cover a storm when its way out in open water or out over by the Lesser Antilles. So you could hear about the possible storm a week ahead of time, when a storm is that far away they don't know if the storm will hit Miami or not, but they will be telling people to pay attention to the news. Now if you are out of town, you can follow the news online to see what the local news is reporting weather wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: