Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,776 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our 2 dogs are moving to Miami in one month. He will be working in West Miami, so we are looking at houses in Kendall. We would not like an apartment or a condo, we would rather have a house and possibly a yard. Is Kendall a good area? We have looked at Cutler Bay and Coral Gables, but I think they will be too far for his commute. Does anyone have any advice for house hunting? We also need a garage. He will be in town for a few days looking at houses with a realtor, but I would love some opinions. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 08:15 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,822,462 times
Moving east of where your husband is going to be working might not be all that bad because he will be traveling east to west in the mornings. Traffic in the mornings is west to east. If you are looking for a house with a yard I would look at Kendall east of 137 Ave. West of 137 Ave. there are a lot of apartments, townhouses, and homes on small lots and the area isn't as desirable and more congested.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:40 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
Both West and East Kendall are good areas. There is just one not so good area in WK and that is the 152snd Avenue area - north of 88st and south of 72st.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Both West and East Kendall are good areas. There is just one not so good area in WK and that is the 152snd Avenue area - north of 88st and south of 72st.
I live there and I hate it, my neighbors are so tacky, rude and unassimalated However, I haven't heard of any incidents around here, I just noticed one fight a couple months ago. I totally don't fit here, I can't wait to leave this mouse trap.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:17 AM

I call that area "Westchester By The Lake" hehehe

Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 AM

535 posts, read 1,410,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I call that area "Westchester By The Lake" hehehe
Is this area always been like this?

I had no idea this part of kendall was this bad. Where I live, properties are small ad I can't believe how some of my neighbors have 3, 4 or 5 kids and they are on the street all day long Also, I noticed at night and sometimes during the day, some neighbors put their plastic chairs outside and talk c&*# just like they do in tacky cubans cafeterias... Nobody here speaks English and I'm the only one who goes to the university (my car is the only one with a FIU decal). I bet a lot of people in this place don't work and live from the government. This place sucks, worst place I ever lived in Miami so far

Old 07-25-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Is this area always been like this?

I had no idea this part of kendall was this bad. Where I live, properties are small ad I can't believe how some of my neighbors have 3, 4 or 5 kids and they are on the street all day long Also, I noticed at night and sometimes during the day, some neighbors put their plastic chairs outside and talk c&*# just like they do in tacky cubans cafeterias... Nobody here speaks English and I'm the only one who goes to the university (my car is the only one with a FIU decal). I bet a lot of people in this place don't work and live from the government. This place sucks, worst place I ever lived in Miami so far
I think it was Valicky who enlightened me about the people of 152nd av and "section 8". I'm very familiar with the area as my friends, from middle school and high school, lived around there, but I was oblivious about their parent's income. The area is not as bad as it used to be, though... there was a time when people would talk about "gang activities" and certain notorious people who roamed the area. All of them were just lazy drug dealers who had connections with Homestead or South Dade "gangbangers" hahahhaha. There were some gang members but the area was never infested by real gang activity. I'm pretty sure most of them moved out, grew out of that mentality, or just got deported. One of my middle school teachers once said that cops would usually do most of their arrests around the 152nd av, but that was like 12 years ago. I doubt that is still being the case nowadays.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:34 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Here we go with the "tacky Cuban cafeteria" and the "nobody speaks English here" drama! Oh boy! Anyways I lived in that area over 20 years ago and back then the area was pretty new when the Wal Mart was built out there and I had no issues . Of course I have no idea what it's like now though.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:57 PM

102 posts, read 423,023 times
OP, do you mean West Miami, as in the city of? Or in the general sense of "western Miami-Dade county"? If you mean the city of West Miami, it abuts Coral Gables, so it can't be that far.

If you mean western, suburban Miami-Dade, that is a different story.

You might want to clarify to get a better answer.

That being said, there are plenty of forums about the best and worst neighborhoods in Miami that you can check out. I recommend grabbing a map while you do it!

My opinion on West Kendall? Do you like planned communities, heavily trafficked streets with lots of stoplights and strip malls? Go ahead and look around! It's pretty much Miami's biggest middle-class suburb. As an outsider (like I was when I moved here in 2006), you might find a better quality of life a bit farther east. Look in East Kendall, Cutler Bay, Palmetto Bay, South Miami, Coral Gables, etc. The homes in these areas are a bit older and tend to have more land.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
That area wasn't always like that. I lived on Sunset and 152nd around 84-85. It was very nice. We used to walk to the shopping center on the SE corner. Back then there was even a Hallmark shop there! I lived in the townhouses on the NW corner. People were very nice and you didn't need to speak Spanish at all. Seems like a lifetime ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami