Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 08:28 PM

5 posts, read 9,383 times

Advertisements

Hello City Data,

I am 18 years old currently living in Toronto Canada (Canadian Citizen). I really want to move and be living in Miami permanently before the age of 21. I have somewhat of an advantage because I have family who live in Biscayne Bay Miami that are accepting to the fact that I want to live with them. would this be possible since I am a Canadian Citizen? I am Italian if that matters and fluent in Spanish and Italian. If it is possible to you think I can be working by the age of 21? and possibly attending college/university in Miami? How do I go about starting the process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGatto View Post
Hello City Data,

I am 18 years old currently living in Toronto Canada (Canadian Citizen). I really want to move and be living in Miami permanently before the age of 21. I have somewhat of an advantage because I have family who live in Biscayne Bay Miami that are accepting to the fact that I want to live with them. would this be possible since I am a Canadian Citizen? I am Italian if that matters and fluent in Spanish and Italian. If it is possible to you think I can be working by the age of 21? and possibly attending college/university in Miami? How do I go about starting the process?
Call the US Embassy, get an immigration attorney, call the University of Miami. I have a few friends in my class who are from Canada. Being Canadian it should not be too difficult to get a student visa and being Canadian if should not be that difficult to even get a visa to work here since well you are Canadian. If you want to go to school here call the University and start asking questions, what you need to do to get in etc.. Want to work here and not go to school call the Embassy.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 PM

Thanks FlyMia for your reply I have really considered that option but in reality since I am a Canadian Citizen, UM considers me an international student and tuition for me since i'm Canadian would be upwards of $40,000 a year. I really want to make this my last option right now, because personally I only have $22,000 invested for tuition if I took this option would be in $100,000+ in debt. Is there any other possible way? or will this never happen.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGatto View Post
Thanks FlyMia for your reply I have really considered that option but in reality since I am a Canadian Citizen, UM considers me an international student and tuition for me since i'm Canadian would be upwards of $40,000 a year. I really want to make this my last option right now, because personally I only have $22,000 invested for tuition if I took this option would be in $100,000+ in debt. Is there any other possible way? or will this never happen.
Have you considered FIU?
If you are moving to the states I would highly recommend getting a college degree either in the US or in Canada.

From what i know it is not very difficult for a Canadian to get a visa to work and live in the US. It is much more difficult for other people to do it from other countries. So if being a student is not an option you need to call your consulate in Toronto or call the embassy in Ottawa and ask them how to get a visa with permission to work in the US. Nothing else you can do, they will let you know what you need to do. You may need to hire an attorney too but first the only thing you can do is call a US consulate or the embassy.

Best of luck.

U of Miami is a private school $40,000 a year is what anyone would pay to go to UM.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the info FlyMia, I heard it's actually hard to obtain a work visa to work in the U.S. unless your a highly trained skilled worker (electrician, etc). but I might check out the student visa and apply for many scholarships hopefully my $22,000 will do some justice.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:36 PM

730 posts, read 827,610 times
depends on how smart you are, grades, test scores, ect. miami is a private institue and will cost big bucks. UF is a good school but is no where near miami.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:41 PM

grade 11 and 12 I maintained straight A's and had few B+'s. I was just curious also, If I do get accepted to a school in Miami and maintain high marks would it be hard to obtain a work visa while I am studying in Miami?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: