Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:24 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times

Advertisements

I think you'll be able to find what you need. I have found rents to be negotiable on houses and condos. You may want to look around Coconut Grove and South Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 09:36 AM

92 posts, read 208,121 times
I would look in Palmetto Bay. The commute won't be great for your husband (maybe an hour tops to get to MIA at peak rush hour) but the trade off would be a nice sized house (at least 3 bedrooms, maybe 4 for your price range), room to park your cars (homes generally have 2 car garages and decent driveway space) and good schools, which can be hard to come by, esp. at the middle and high school levels. The area isn't that diverse but certainly more diverse than where you are coming from. The public schools are diverse as they draw from different neighborhoods surrounding Palmetto Bay. Your daughter would definitely not be the only Jewish kid in school nor will the school be dominated by one particular race, ethnicity or religion. Speaking of religion, you say you are non-religious but if you wanted a temple, there are a few to choose from in the area. I find the town generally to be laid back, nothing like Scottsdale (from the little time I spent there). Pinecrest is going to have more of a Scottsdale feel and I think your price range will preclude you from most of what's available in the rental market as I've known folks to pay upwards of $4000-5000/month for a home in Pinecrest.

I'm not a bug person despite being a Miami native and unfortunately Palmetto Bay is a very leafy town with lots of beautiful trees and other greens which means bugs and other critters. Get a good pest control person for both inside and outside your home and you will be fine. I'd rather encounter a roach or two than the crazy poisonous spiders and scorpions that run around Arizona!

Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM

19 posts, read 22,261 times
I see from city-data's Miami Lakes page that it has a 75% Hispanic population. We don't speak Spanish. Would that be a problem? Would it be a huge culture shock?

Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,380 times
You can also look into west Hollywood, Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Southwest Ranches. They're probably more similar to the suburbs you're used to out in AZ, and there are some 4 and 5 br places in your price range. Miami Lakes and Palmetto Bay are a bit more expensive, and you'd likely be settling for 3br. West Kendall could work, but I believe schools are not as nice out there, and they have school overcrowding issues.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:09 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,033 times
Check out Miami Springs, nice neighborhood immediately north of the airport.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:47 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
Not speaking Spanish, I think, would be a bit of an issue in Miami Lakes. I'd check out Miami Springs as the previous poster mentioned or Palmetto Bay. South Miami and the Grove are nice too, but not sure if the rental budget would work there. I'm in West Kendall and the traffic to the airport is horrible at all hours except maybe in the late, late evenings. If your husband is already unhappy about the move, this commute would not bode well.
I wouldn't worry about critters or bugs. You have it way worse in AZ. I've never seen so many poisonous bugs as in my short time in AZ. I was in North Scottsdale, sort of rural, but wow - it was scary. I'm a bug-a-phobe and I don't have a problem here except with the occasional roach. Yikes!!! I hate them sooooo much even though they're harmless. They're just the most hideous creature EVER!!!

I love AZ, btw, even Scottsdale. I found everyone to be super friendly. Maybe because I was a tourist. I was amazed at what a clean place it was and how beautiful the desert could be. So much wildlife and plant life!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:48 PM

19 posts, read 22,261 times
I just wish Miami Springs had better schools-the location would be perfect. Also close to 70% hispanic.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:19 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
There are different kinds of Hispanics, English speaking and non. I think in Miami Springs you wouldn't have a problem not knowing Spanish. I don't know about the schools. I haven't had a child in Dade County public schools since '94.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:13 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster206 View Post
I just wish Miami Springs had better schools-the location would be perfect. Also close to 70% hispanic.
Hispanics in Miami are not the same as hispanics in AZ. They are not recently arrived Mexicans who only speak Spanish. Miami Lakes & Miami Springs are middle class to upper income areas and many hispanics in Miami are bilingual anyways.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:54 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
I see from city-data's Miami Lakes page that it has a 75% Hispanic population. We don't speak Spanish. Would that be a problem? Would it be a huge culture shock?
NOT a problem at all. Miami Lakes is a nice area and has one of the higher median incomes in the County. 90% of hispanics if not all there will speak english well. Most hispanics especially in Upper Middle to Upper class areas like Miami Lakes are bilingual.
Quote:
The whole county is about 70% hispanic so you are going to see that in most cities and neighborhoods. These are not hispanics you see on the west coast, many of them are 2nd generation, most of them speak english. In Miami most people are bilingual and by most I am talking 65-70%. IMO I will say 75% of Hispanics speak english just fine here 15% can get by and the rest who are usually seniors do not speak it at all. If you are worried about 70% hispanics there is nothing you can do really. But there is no reason to be worried, much different than what you find in the Southwest or West Coast, much much different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami