Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking, Weston is like 25 miles away. That could be an option.

BIRGHT & SPACIOUS 4/2.5 HOME IN EXCELLENT LOCATION Home - Rentals (http://www.rentals.com/Florida/Fort-Lauderdale/r1348913/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 02:18 PM

19 posts, read 22,265 times
Thank you for all of the helpful tips everyone!

We are planning to fly out for a long weekend in a couple of weeks so we can drive around and check out neighborhoods. So far, our list includes: Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, South Miami, Weston, Parkland, Pembroke Pines, Palmetto Bay. Anywhere else we should consider?

If we could find a super cheap, catholic school that maybe gave an amazing discount (like, four for the price of one,) we might consider that. It would make my in-laws happy, for sure.

Another question. Does anyone know if there are community pools/playpools along the lines of these:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11650...ums?banner=pwa

that can be found in various communities around Phoenix? My little kids love this in the summer and I am sure we will have a tough time acclimating to the humidity. How about recreational swim teams? My older two enjoy practicing their strokes and making friends while I appreciate them outside doing about an hour of cardio everyday in the brutally hot summer. I guess I'm mainly thinking of Miami as I'm sure most of the suburbs have HOA community pools or YMCA's. Or am I wrong?

Old 04-27-2012, 02:48 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster206 View Post
Thank you for all of the helpful tips everyone!

We are planning to fly out for a long weekend in a couple of weeks so we can drive around and check out neighborhoods. So far, our list includes: Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, South Miami, Weston, Parkland, Pembroke Pines, Palmetto Bay. Anywhere else we should consider?

If we could find a super cheap, catholic school that maybe gave an amazing discount (like, four for the price of one,) we might consider that. It would make my in-laws happy, for sure.

Another question. Does anyone know if there are community pools/playpools along the lines of these:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11650...ums?banner=pwa

that can be found in various communities around Phoenix? My little kids love this in the summer and I am sure we will have a tough time acclimating to the humidity. How about recreational swim teams? My older two enjoy practicing their strokes and making friends while I appreciate them outside doing about an hour of cardio everyday in the brutally hot summer. I guess I'm mainly thinking of Miami as I'm sure most of the suburbs have HOA community pools or YMCA's. Or am I wrong?
In the if the rare chance your home does not have a pool be friends with a neighbor. Somebody one your block will have a pool most homes in nice areas do. But you should have no problem finding a swim team. I would add Miami Lakes to that list and Miami Shores.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:54 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
If you go to Coral Gables, check out the Venetian Pool.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:22 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
I see from city-data's Miami Lakes page that it has a 75% Hispanic population. We don't speak Spanish. Would that be a problem? Would it be a huge culture shock?
No, it would not be a problem. I've lived in the Lakes for 30+ years. Most of my neighbors are Hispanic, but they all speak English and they all live very American lives. IMO, there is far less 'culture shock' in ML than in S. Miami, Coral Gables, or Kendall.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:24 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
I just wish Miami Springs had better schools-the location would be perfect. Also close to 70% hispanic.
The areas surrounding Miami Springs and Miami Shores are terrible. No way I would live in either city.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Please come back and post after your visit. I'd love to hear your thoughts. My dil is an Arizonan and isn't happy here at all. She's from a very quiet area, up by Carefree and Cave Creek so moving here was and is still a big adjustment for her. It's going on 2 years now.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,382 times
Default Welcome

I just happened to run across your post here, and I think if you and your family have a bit of an open mind and keep a smile, you will be just fine and love living in Miami after you get used to it. Bugs should not be an issue as long as you clean up, like anywhere. I have never seen a snake or scorpion, or any big animals. Not speaking Spanish will not be an issue. I'm American (we don't say "white" because there are lots of white Latin people here) and I don't speak too much espanol except the basssics "Gracias, por favor, donde es el bano, etc"). The main thing is keeping a smile and open mind. I actually really like the latin culture here.

I was raised in Orlando, lived in Indiana for a couple years growing up, and came to Ft Lauderdale in 1997, then moved to Miami Beach in 1999. In the past 13 years have lived in Miami Beach, Miami Springs, Sunny Isles Beach, Little Havana, and the Roads neighborhood where I live now (close to Brickell).

After reading your questions and what you mention about your family, I definitely recommend Coral Gables (almost anywhere) or South Miami (east of US 1). If you look online you can find 3 bed rental homes that look nice in your price range in Gables. If it was cheaper I would suggest "The Roads," neighborhood (33129) where I live. However for the budget you have, you would likely have to get an apartment here, not house so that's probably out.

I think Coral Gables public schools might be pretty good but then again I don't have kids; you may have to consider private schools.

As far as the latin % of the areas you look at online, don't even sweat that unless you just really have a problem hearing Spanish lots of places. For example, at the grocery store, the gym, stores etc almost everyone is bilingual.

If your man works normal 9-5 ish business hours by the Miami Airport, dont put him through that commute from East Broward (ft Laud, hollywood, for sure not boca) down I95 or the palmetto expy in the AM...bad idea for him unless he loves to drive 20mph for long periods of time and look at the concrete seagulls etched in the walls of I95 . From West Broward County the commute would be ok using the turnpike (area of I-75 around Miramar parkway in Miramar, or pines blvd in Pembroke pines). Those areas remind me more of suburban Phoenix...kinda boring for my taste but with a family that vibe might be what you like better.

To me, almost anyplace in Broward is more like it could be anywhere else in the U.S., Dade is much more "interesting" to me personally.

I used to work at a call center in Hialeah (don't move to Hialeah) and when there was no one to speak Spanish sometimes on the weekend, and the old Hialeah ladies would call screaming about their bill (always the "broken" meter), I would just ask them "¿tienes una fuga de gas??" (do you have a gas leak)? If they said no, I would tell them..llamada Lunes (call on Monday). Then they would scream a little bit more in Spanish and then usually turn nice in the end because I tried.

I consider Miami to be a little rough around the edges (to me makes in interesting), but once you scratch under the surface you will find a great heart inside.

Living as an American in Little Havana was the most interesting experience of life...that would be a whole other story (don't move to Little Havana).

Well anyway, good luck, and Im sure you will enjoy it.

When you are here, check out these random places to get the "vibe":
Coral Gables- Barnes & Noble on Coral Way and just walk around Coral Way.
Pembroke Pines- Shops at Pembroke Gardens on I75 and Pines Blvd.

Here is a city pool close by the airport. The only other one Im aware of is in south beach.

City of Miami - Department of Parks & Recreation

Good luck!
Brad

Old 04-28-2012, 04:34 AM

19 posts, read 22,265 times
Anyone have any thoughts on Aventura, Bay Harbor Islands and North Beach areas? Found some good schools and reasonable rental prices.

I have no problem hearing Spanish on a daily basis...actually we're all excited to learn more!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:09 AM

38 posts, read 73,055 times
Those neighborhoods are alittle on the rich side, but if you don't mind then go ahead. I personally think that you get a little bit more realistic sence of the feeling Miami atmosphere on mainland. Also if you do move to one of those areas, avoid 395 and 195, the traffic is frightening on those two bridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami