Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:21 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,976,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey1961 View Post
Also if you do move to one of those areas, avoid 395 and 195, the traffic is frightening on those two bridges.
Besides for the evening rush hour or a big event I have never had problems on either bridge. 79th street or Broad causeway are better but they also have the draw bridges so its hit and miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 12:05 AM

19 posts, read 22,180 times
I will most definitely update after we go look around! Thank you again for all of the really, helpful tips.

Oh yes, one last quaestion; what is the deal with Doral...that looks to be pretty convenient yet no one has suggested it...bad place?

Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,536,380 times
Doral isn't a bad place it's just drab suburb! For some reason Venezuelans and a lot of South Americans love it. The traffic is horrible too.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:25 PM

Default so here we are in miami...

...and we like it, so far. we've been staying at a hotel on miami beach. the ocean is gorgeous. way nicer than the pacific.

apparently the rental market is crazy. every house we call on from hotpads or craigslist is already gone. According to the r.e. agent showing us houses there are only 6 available in the miami-palm h.s. boundary. she said she could not rec. the north suburbs as the commite would be awful. any ideas anyone? the top priority for us us good schools.

she suggested miami shores, bit we are driving around here and it looks a little ghetto (bars on windows, etc).

thanks in advance!

Old 05-25-2012, 12:28 PM

sorry. that is "commute" not commite

Old 05-25-2012, 12:50 PM

92 posts, read 207,631 times
Quote:
she suggested miami shores, bit we are driving around here and it looks a little ghetto (bars on windows, etc).
Miami Shores proper is lovely but the neighborhoods around it vary and some are definitely not great. The public schools zoned for Miami Shores, however, are not good, especially at the high school level. If you cannot get something in the Palmetto High district, I suggest trying for the Killian district just to the west of Pinecrest/Palmetto Bay.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,325,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster206 View Post
...and we like it, so far. we've been staying at a hotel on miami beach. the ocean is gorgeous. way nicer than the pacific.

apparently the rental market is crazy. every house we call on from hotpads or craigslist is already gone. According to the r.e. agent showing us houses there are only 6 available in the miami-palm h.s. boundary. she said she could not rec. the north suburbs as the commite would be awful. any ideas anyone? the top priority for us us good schools.

thanks in advance!
Frankly, I don't think the commute from Miami Lakes would be that much longer than that from Miami Shores. RE agents can be wrong - check out the Lakes.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:22 PM

38 posts, read 72,803 times
I do not recommend living in Miami Beach, as it is not a quiet place to live. Also bars on windows is a rather common thing in Miami, as Miami is a very large city and people do not apreciate having their homes broken into. Also to make sure you were looking at the real Miami Shores, Miami Shores is located north of the canal located at NE 79th Street and located south of the canal at NE 105th Street and located east of Interstate 95. I mentioned this as it can be sometimes easy to by mistake wonder into the ghetto neighborhoods of Pinewood and Little Haiti.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:46 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,889,646 times
I wouldn't venture to Miami Shores if you're going to have kids in the public schools. Stick to Palmetto. Maybe try driving around the area. Sometimes individuals will have For Rent signs on a house. Have you checked the Miami Herald and the Flyer as well? Glad you're liking Miami so far!

Old 05-25-2012, 05:49 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,889,646 times
Also, while bars on windows are common, I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood where that's what I saw. It tells me that there is a problem. Even in my "lowly" area of West Kendall, my neighborhood does not have window bars. I don't live in a neighborhood that has a HOA so that's not it. You won't see bars in the Palmetto area either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami