Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:30 AM

19 posts, read 22,261 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the zoo idea-kids are already driving me insane. Everyone is afraid to leave the house because the mosquitoes are making us look like we have chicken pox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 08:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster206 View Post
Thanks for the zoo idea-kids are already driving me insane. Everyone is afraid to leave the house because the mosquitoes are making us look like we have chicken pox.
Ah yes, Eau de Off, my summer scent, will quickly become yours also. Welcome to S. Florida

Old 07-06-2012, 09:53 AM

313 posts, read 725,675 times
Quote:

For mosquito issues either call 3-1-1 or email 311@miamidade.gov and provide your contact information requesting mosquito spraying. Mosquito Control arranges spraying in areas by the amount of calls that come into 3-1-1.

Joe

Old 07-06-2012, 01:30 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
I filed for mosquito spraying online and they came by within a few days. It's much better now. You won't have any problems on outings during the day though. I've never had a mosquito issue at the zoo. We go from around 12 to 5 and it's A-Ok.
We also use Avon's Skin So Soft Expedition Bug Spray - comes in a green can - when we have to be out when the mosquitoes are and it works great. I much prefer it to Off. We certainly have a lot more mosquitoes here than AZ! At least you'll rarely if ever see a black widow or scorpion.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:23 PM

92 posts, read 208,121 times
Quote:
So...we are here. We called so many craigslist and hotpad listings that looked nice only to be told..."sorry that house has been rented, but I have a similar house" and then be shown a dump. That's bait and switch is it not? Literally, every ad we called on. We finally had an agent (and I had to give him very specific search filters because he kept showing us houses with crappy schools) who found us a house that had just been listed for rent and we snapped it up as it was a great deal. We are in Palmetto Bay and the neighborhood is great! We haven't met any kids yet, so that is kind of sad for my kids.
I live in palmetto bay and every kid I know including mine are in camp all day and when not at camp they are in the pool. It's just too hot to be outside right now. Come winter it will be very different. In the meantime look into some camps for your kids. Some are pricey but I think the village has some camps out of coral reef park that wouldn't be too expensive. Also look into any camps run by the county parks department.

Palmetto Bay is a lovely town and I think you'll like it here. However, if you find the people around here rude then don't bother with the rest of the county! I think folks around here are downright Midwestern in their friendliness.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:53 PM

19 posts, read 22,261 times
Default Even the cheap camps

are expensive when multiplied by 4. They're at least $100/week per child. So even if they only went every other week it would still be about $800 a month. Ouch. Since I'm not working I can't justify that amount. I've signed up the 6, 11 and 13 year old for swim team at the Cutler Ridge Pool which is a much more reasonable $100 per kid for the summer. I just have to figure out some little day trips and activities since swimming is later in the day.

The few neighbors I've met have been very nice. The rude people have been random encounters at the grocery store, gas station, etc...

On another note-any ideas how the little lizards are getting into my bedroom? Are they coming out of the bathtub drain? That's the only place I can think of that I haven't gone over with the caulk gun.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 AM

313 posts, read 725,675 times
Quote:
are expensive when multiplied by 4. They're at least $100/week per child. So even if they only went every other week it would still be about $800 a month. Ouch. Since I'm not working I can't justify that amount. I've signed up the 6, 11 and 13 year old for swim team at the Cutler Ridge Pool which is a much more reasonable $100 per kid for the summer. I just have to figure out some little day trips and activities since swimming is later in the day.

The few neighbors I've met have been very nice. The rude people have been random encounters at the grocery store, gas station, etc...

On another note-any ideas how the little lizards are getting into my bedroom? Are they coming out of the bathtub drain? That's the only place I can think of that I haven't gone over with the caulk gun.
Living with lizards and palmetto bugs are now going to be part of your life. They are indigenous and its almost impossible to get rid of them for good. The lizards actually eat bugs so I suggest leaving them alone. As for the palmetto bugs keep a fly swatter, an ugly sandal or shoe ready to smack them. They are not germ carriers like the smaller brown German roaches. If you hire an exterminator you will see only their bodies.

FYI: Palmetto bugs love to fly into your hair so smack then once and very hard.

other than that welcome to Miami. Prepare to sweat alot.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:17 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
Here's a website for ideas on cheap entertainment: Miami on the Cheap

Become a member of your local library. They usually will have free activities during the month for kids.

You've also got $1 summer movies every Tues and Weds morning at 10 am at Kendall Regal, the Movies at the Falls and Southland Mall. Tomorrow and Wednesday are Kung Fu Panda 2 and Rango.

Last edited by valicky; 07-16-2012 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: Wrong info

Old 07-17-2012, 10:07 AM

92 posts, read 208,121 times
Quote:

Yes, camps are pricey. I only have two kids and I grumble at the cost. Did you check the Miami-Dade parks website? I know in the past they ran camps that were under $100. They do offer specialized camps that cost more but they always had a low cost option so as to serve those families that can't afford private camps. The lower cost camps will be in the less affluent areas - Cutler Ridge and points south. Definitely do some research for other activities that are free or low cost, they are out there. Unfortunately they are not always well advertised. As for the lizards, mine always run in when we open doors. I find that palmetto bugs are more likely to crawl through any cracks in baseboards. I've never seen a lizard come out of a drain but I have seen palmettos do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami