Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:41 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpippo View Post
Ok, but specifically MBA at UM? Is it worth it? Or better UF given the cost?
I would probably think any of the state schools are just fine, if it was me I wouldn't pay the extra money. In the end it is all what someone does with the education or doesn't do with it, not where they graduated from. (Though if you want to get a job in Miami, UM may look better on your resume for your first job. After your first job, the university you graducate from doesn't really matter, your experience is what matters.) Like I already said a friend of a friend, got his MBA at FSU and is VP at E-Trade in London. This is an example of someone that didn't spend as much on his education and is very successful. Then on the other hand, I know someone that graduated from UM and he jumps from job to job because he himself has issues. So in the end it depends on the individual not necessarilly where they got their degree.

I know someone else that recently graducated from an ivy league school, the parents had to work longer than they wanted too (instead of retiring), to put their child in an ivy league school. Yet when that child graduated, the child didn't get a job or pay any better than someone that went to a state school. IMO, the extra cost for the parents, wasn't worth it.

Last edited by doggiebus; 09-21-2007 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 01:06 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I would probably think any of the state schools are just fine, if it was me I wouldn't pay the extra money. In the end it is all what someone does with the education or doesn't do with it, not where they graduated from. (Though if you want to get a job in Miami, UM may look better on your resume for your first job. After your first job, the university you graducate from doesn't really matter, your experience is what matters.) Like I already said a friend of a friend, got his MBA at FSU and is VP at E-Trade in London. This is an example of someone that didn't spend as much on his education and is very successful. Then on the other hand, I know someone that graduated from UM and he jumps from job to job because he himself has issues. So in the end it depends on the individual not necessarilly where they got their degree.

I know someone else that recently graducated from an ivy league school, the parents had to work longer than they wanted too (instead of retiring), to put their child in an ivy league school. Yet when that child graduated, the child didn't get a job or pay any better than someone that went to a state school. IMO, the extra cost for the parents, wasn't worth it.
You make very valid points. I'm not as worried about prestige as I am "fit" for her. She's had a tough two years and is not looking forward to moving back to the east coast. However, unless she plans on paying for the school or getting a job, remaining in Arizona/west coast is off the table.

Thank you for the sound advice. I appreciate it.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:08 AM

60 posts, read 430,930 times
Hi... I am a graduate of UM... specifically the Broadcast Journalism program (second major Political Science.) Hands down UM is the best broadcast journalism program... you get what you pay for. Top of the line technology, the best professors and awesome connections and internships. If she is wanting to join a sorority, greek life at UM is also the best... will make some great friendships while performing community service. Everyone wants to go to UM... it just ends up boiling down to price and being selected, as it is very competitive. If you can afford it, then UM is the place to be. Campus life is the best... so many things to do and so many kids from all over the world... countries you didn't even know existed! LOL It is a very safe environment and the campus is absolutely beautiful... very lush and tropical. The food on campus is good too (which is unheard of at a university)... the food court looks like you are at an upscale mall. LOL Of course the school rocks in sports, so going to the games and participating in homecoming (which is one of THE events on campus) is awesome. I had a great time and can't recommend it enough! I was also very prepared to enter my career and could see that I was leaps and bounds beyond people from other broadcast journalism programs.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:05 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I am still angry that they took out the bowling alley! In my field (engineering ) UF is a much better bet. UM does have good campus life as mentioned and more diversity than FIU. UM has more of a 'university" feel and at least has close proximity to MetroFail.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:43 PM

25 posts, read 88,308 times
Quote:
She's looking to stay in a warm environment, would like to join a sorority, and really wants a campus atmosphere with rah-rah sports teams. I'm guessing a medium to large school would fit this bill. I'm curious what the locals think about the schools and hopefully someone who has actually attended one will be able to paint a clearer picture for me.
Sounds like she'd have a fine time at UF. Greek life and sports are very big here, and to my dismay, it's quite warm. There are also lots of beautiful parks in Gainesville, and they're quite clean for FL. All UF students are allowed to ride the bus for FREE, which I love. I feel very safe (especially after moving from Jax) walking around in the evening; people are always out running and jogging. It's a nice town.

The Journalism school is limited admissions, though - Admission Requirements - College of Journalism and Communications

Old 09-30-2007, 05:26 PM

60 posts, read 430,930 times
There you go again, Tallrick... taking me back! LOL I used to love the bowling alley... it was a shame that they took it out. The bowling area was before my time, but my sister attended UM in the early 80s and I used to go and visit her all the time when I was a kid. As far as what programs UM is tops in... I would say Law, Medicine, Communications and Architecture. I do know that the engineering program of UF is bar none. Hospitality at FIU is the best in the nation... so it kind of does depend. FIU has absolutey NO diversity... everyone is hispanic. And before anyone freaks, I am hispanic, so I am allowed to say that. LOL I found the kids at UM to be brilliant... really inspiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami