Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 AM

313 posts, read 723,192 times

Advertisements

Finanance and ethical do not belong in the same sentence these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 12:50 PM

535 posts, read 1,406,327 times
You'll get a culture shock in Miami. Boston and Miami have nothing in common, it's comparing an apple with a banana. Boston is full of intellectual and smart people, Miami is full of ignorant and low cultured people. Many don't know where Peru is located in the map believe it or not.

It's very hard to make GENUINE friends in Miami, even couples are not that genuine here. Personally, I've experienced dissapointments with friendships and also in relationships, but mostly friendships. If you the last BMW, make over 80k and you're good looking, "friends" will come in a matter of seconds, but if you're a broke student who works weekends and drives a '99 Civic, forget it.... stay home watching TV. Honestly, I care less now, I'm living Miami in January 2013.

Think throughly about your move to Miami and do your research not just in City Data, but in other relocation websites. Miami is not for everyone, this place is more for party lovers and lazy people.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 24,506 times
Again...thanks for all the responses....very helpful. I'm hearing a lot of what some of my friends have said to me that lived down in Miami before. Definitely will make me think twice about making the move...

Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 PM

367 posts, read 936,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
You'll get a culture shock in Miami. Boston and Miami have nothing in common, it's comparing an apple with a banana. Boston is full of intellectual and smart people, Miami is full of ignorant and low cultured people. Many don't know where Peru is located in the map believe it or not.

It's very hard to make GENUINE friends in Miami, even couples are not that genuine here. Personally, I've experienced dissapointments with friendships and also in relationships, but mostly friendships. If you the last BMW, make over 80k and you're good looking, "friends" will come in a matter of seconds, but if you're a broke student who works weekends and drives a '99 Civic, forget it.... stay home watching TV. Honestly, I care less now, I'm living Miami in January 2013.

Think throughly about your move to Miami and do your research not just in City Data, but in other relocation websites. Miami is not for everyone, this place is more for party lovers and lazy people.
You must not be from here ? I totally get your perspective but I think it's different when you're from here. You have less expectations that way. I as a Native do not have these fantasy perceptions and expectations of Miami like the outta towners do. So I see it for what it is, and when you're from here and have family here it ain't that bad. Why? Because at least there's a lot of things I can do with my family that truly cares for me and I care for them. I don't really care about making friends at this point because since I'm from here and been here my whole life, I know who my true friends are.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:08 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,959,985 times
I've never had any friends problems. I lived in DC for college and in Miami for the rest of the time before and after, I currently go to grad school in Miami, no problems meeting new friends with about 50% of the people from Miami. It is all about who you meet and want to be friends with. This can be said in ANY city. People really come on here and complain about not making friends. Is this really a Miami problem? Come on.... There are people from all over and all types if backgrounds in Miami. Is Miami has educated as Boston or DC? No. But the OP seems to be doing well, and educated. I am fairly confident you will do fine. Just come in with an open mind and get out there and meet people. Again Miami has a very large and vibrant Jewish community that can be the first place you can try to meet some people. Then spread it out and diversify. Miami has a lot to offer. A lot of people just take the negatives of the city and add some and run with it.

It's not a city for everyone but I have never heard of people complaining about making friends in a city. That is more about the person and less about the city IMO. If its a good career move, and you think you will like it down here do it. Come down for a week in the summer and see how you like it. Don't just see Miami Beach of course. Stay in Brickell check out the area. Come in the summer when Miami is at its "worst."

Old 05-23-2012, 03:12 PM

36 posts, read 58,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsb1 View Post
I currently have the chance to relocate from Boston to Miami with my employer. I am a 30-year old, non-hispanic white male who is single with no kids. Office would be in Brickell.
Have a few questions about cost of living, best places to live and anything else helpful you can provide. Gross base salary would be around $120k...maybe a few hundred in debt payments a month, no car currently.

1) What are some of the better places to live for a young single guy? I want to be close to the beach and work but also an area that has somethings to do around it...not dead after 5pm.
2) I don't know anyone in the area...how easy is it to meet people down there who are genuine, not just there for the party?
3) In terms of the salary...could I afford a pretty decent lifestyle down there?
4) I've visited Miami several times and have always stayed on South Beach (Ocean Dr, Collins)...nice area if you live in a high rise but other than South Beach, are there other areas where people go out?

Any other useful information would be really great. Anyone on here move from the Northeast to Miami and can share their experiences?

Thanks in advance!

RB

I'm a native of Miami and let me just say, I visited Boston once and LOVED it! So absolutely beautiful. My grandma was from Boston and moved here years ago and I believe the weather is what attracts many from up north. Still, I'll give you a neutral response as it's not always helpful when posters point out the flaws and that's it.

Miami is an acquired taste, even for some natives (like me), and it takes awhile to get used to it if you're into a different scene. For instance, I've never seen snow but crave the intellectual/real big city living. I know Miami is a city but it is nowhere near LA/NYC. Like someone said previously, Boston is more favorable than Miami simply because the lifestyle and people. Boston has incredible higher-learning universities which results in innovative people who are driven. Sure, there are people like here in Miami but it's much harder to find. Miami, IMO, is very flashy on the surface but with nothing to back it up; AKA, people pretend they're living the big life while many aren't. The real people with success live in Fisher Island, Brickell, etc.

Since your job is in Brickell, that's a good area. I'm sure you've heard how it's the "Manhattan of the South". Honestly, it's a nice area. I would recommend visiting the area first and get a feel for it. Besides Brickell, there are other nice parts for the young professional, but not to the extent like in Boston/NYC/LA. 1) The classier parts of Miami are definitely Brickell and Coral Gables, while South Beach is more fun where you will see anybody hanging out there. So I would stay that's a good spot for relatively mid 20's to 30's to chill.

2) This is hard to say because generally, manyyyy people here are just casual partiers. Of course, with time you'll find out who is real and genuine but more than likely, it takes a lot of luck to find real nice people here. Especially with the notion that many women (and men too) chase after money and the image portrayed by big-timers.

3) This I'm not too keen on. From what I think, I believe you will be fine in Brickell with that amount. Some places obviously will be more than you can afford but more than likely you'll be good. Also, places in Miami are cheaper than in the Northeast. So that's a plus for you

4) Like I said, South Beach is nice but when you're looking for more remote areas where locals hang out, surrounding areas of Brickell are nice. Coral Gables, Downtown Miami and Pinecrest have their spots where there's much recreation, lounges, etc.

If you need any more suggestions/advice, let me know! As I said, I'm a Miami native but I hope I provided a balanced view of it and not just a one-sided opinion. I'm also obsessed with Boston/NYC and the Northeast in general so I found your post interesting. By the way, I don't know if you've heard of this site but it's pretty useful because they also post fair reviews of things/places here in Miami; it's pretty useful: Miami Beach 411 - Official Miami Travel Web Site

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:45 PM

18 posts, read 37,026 times
I wouldn't do it!!!! Miami is not one of the best places to live, or start a career. Trust me I know your best bet is to visit the real Miami, and not the tourist spots, and you will see the horror. Hey the grass may appear greener, but the closer you get, you soon realize its all artificial.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitownbound711 View Post
I wouldn't do it!!!! Miami is not one of the best places to live, or start a career. Trust me I know your best bet is to visit the real Miami, and not the tourist spots, and you will see the horror. Hey the grass may appear greener, but the closer you get, you soon realize its all artificial.
Some people need the read more carefully. The OP is possibly relocating and is going to have a very nice salary.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,143 times
Default Welcome to the 305

Little late joining this, but I just moved to MIA from the north east and wantd to ad a few things as a new transplant. First off, you're going to have an amazing time - congrats on the move!

1) What are some of the better places to live for a young single guy? I want to be close to the beach and work but also an area that has somethings to do around it...not dead after 5pm.
- Brickell is definitely the place to be for young professionals. NO QUESTION. The Icon is my favorite building and comes with every amenity you could possibly want.

2) I don't know anyone in the area...how easy is it to meet people down there who are genuine, not just there for the party?
- I've been very lucky to meet a lot of genuine people. The best way I've found is forums like these, college/fraternity/sorority/alumni, joining philanthropic organizations, and getting involved with the thousand of networking and social events around town. I'm in public relations, so I feel like I'm always heading to an event, but it's truly the best way to meet people.

3) In terms of the salary...could I afford a pretty decent lifestyle down there?
- As they say, Miami is half the price and twice as nice as NYC. I think you'll be fine on that salary.

4) I've visited Miami several times and have always stayed on South Beach (Ocean Dr, Collins)...nice area if you live in a high rise but other than South Beach, are there other areas where people go out?
- There are a lot of great places in Brickell to go out, midtown and downtown are up and coming, the Design District is funky and fun, and there are even more places on South Beach that are off the beaten path.

Congrats again and hope that helps!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpkimmel View Post
Little late joining this, but I just moved to MIA from the north east and wantd to ad a few things as a new transplant. First off, you're going to have an amazing time - congrats on the move!

- Brickell is definitely the place to be for young professionals. NO QUESTION. The Icon is my favorite building and comes with every amenity you could possibly want.

- I've been very lucky to meet a lot of genuine people. The best way I've found is forums like these, college/fraternity/sorority/alumni, joining philanthropic organizations, and getting involved with the thousand of networking and social events around town. I'm in public relations, so I feel like I'm always heading to an event, but it's truly the best way to meet people.

- As they say, Miami is half the price and twice as nice as NYC. I think you'll be fine on that salary.

- There are a lot of great places in Brickell to go out, midtown and downtown are up and coming, the Design District is funky and fun, and there are even more places on South Beach that are off the beaten path.

Congrats again and hope that helps!
Good post. I second, I have a bunch of friends in ICON what an awesome building!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami