Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 03:36 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times

Advertisements

I really don't know what some of you people are talking about.

Perhaps anecdotal, but my experience and observation is that young people born in Miami speak mostly English and their parents, either born in Cuba, elsewhere in Latin America or first generation Miamians, struggle - struggle - to have these young children maintain Spanish.

I remember one scene at a poolside where a Cuba-born mother who came to Miami very young, perfectly bilingual, was pleading to her young daughter (about 11) and her friends to speak in Spanish to another young girl who spoke only Spanish, but the girls refused, continuing to speak and play in English only, and the girl who spoke only Spanish felt left out (I actually felt sorry for her).

Anyway, it reminds me of European immigrants to the US northeast a century or so ago: foreign-born immigrants never learn English or very little; first generation born in US is bilingual, basically for life; second generation struggles with grandparents' language, some retain it, some don't; third generation speaks English only, may learn great-grandparents' language out of interest and educational vocation.

The Cubans are about half-way, maybe a bit more, in that cycle, while other Latin Americans in Miami are about a quarter way, maybe less.

I would expect in Coral Gables that all, or at least most, school children speak English first.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 06-01-2012 at 03:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 02:52 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,471 times
Bale

Back in those days it was different. For example, any Italian/German/French that comes into the US nowdays will do his best to preserve language and culture. They will do their best so their children are perfectly bilingual or trilingual.

Any Cuban that does not teach Spanish to his children is suicidal. Any Chinese that does not teach Chinese to his children is suicidal.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:56 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Bale

Back in those days it was different. For example, any Italian/German/French that comes into the US nowdays will do his best to preserve language and culture. They will do their best so their children are perfectly bilingual or trilingual.

Any Cuban that does not teach Spanish to his children is suicidal. Any Chinese that does not teach Chinese to his children is suicidal.
I understand that, and actually you reinforce my point.

But many Hispanics from Miami are already moving to Broward County, Palm Beach County, and even places like North Carolina. You'll see what happens to them linguistically in the second and third generation: exactly, they will have to do their best, they will have to struggle - struggle! - so that their children are perfectly bilingual, and it won't be by osmossis as it is between the immigrant generation and the first generation.

And, like I said, even in the heart of Miami-Dade County I see first/second generation parents struggling - struggling! - to maintain Spanish among their second/third generation children (I've seen this film before).

Europeans nowadays who come to the US are by and large professionals working in top cities, and/or have "get-away" apartments or vacations homes in places like Miami Beach (or somewhere in Brazil for that matter) who do not plan to settle two or three generations and beyond. If they do, the same cycle will repeat.

Of course it is possible to maintain language and culture across generations (think Jews and Greeks, for example, in the US), but osmossis no longer works after the first generation, it takes planning and effort, and not everyone cares or is up to the challenge, so, instead, by osmossis they are absorbed into the wider society, and both are transformed in the process.

I agree, however, that this time around US society in general is being more transformed by immigration than 100 years ago when immigrants were more transformed by US society in general.

In any case, I think that the OP and his children will be just fine in Coral Gables and any other relatively well-to-do neighborhood of Miami-Dade County, e.g. the metrorail corridor running downtown/Brickell-Coconut Grove-Coral Gables (UM)-South Miami-Dadeland and as far south as Pinecrest, coastal neighborhoods from Miami Beach to Aventura, Doral, maybe a few others.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 06-02-2012 at 05:01 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 09:35 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,471 times
It all depends on the cultural level, of course. If the parents of the child are professional, have college education, they know that the child will fare better knowing correct Spanish.

Not only Jews and Greeks, there are Spanish speakers in Louisiana that have been speaking Spanish since 1770. There are also Spanish speakers in Tampa and Key West that have been speaking Spanish during the last 150 years. I remember that old Miccosukees spoke Spanish, they probably lost it.

I think that Spanish is increasing its importance in the US, not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami