Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 13,880 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have 3 kids in catholic schools up North and it looks like a huge difference in price and culture down there in Miami/Coral Gables. We want to continue with Catholic school, but how do I say this?? My kids go to a school where the majority is caucasion--this is going to be a huge difference. Uh, where do all the caucasion children go to school because even the best Catholic schools have very few caucasion children. I doubt we can afford Ransom, Gulliver or Miami Dade. I don't want my kids to feel out of place. I grew up in NYC in public schools so I am not opposed to cultural differences but I do want my kids to feel comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 08:44 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
St. Hugh has a catholic school, majority caucasian since its in Coconut Grove. Catholic schools are expensive here

Old 05-27-2012, 09:27 AM

358 posts, read 710,938 times
Why wouldn't your kids feel comfortable?

It's very difficult to answer your question when you do not provide reasons why they would not be able to successfully complete academics at the school.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:48 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
With Miami's hispanic population hoovering around 65%, your not going to find cheaper Catholic schools that have a huge anglo population as Miami-Dade Counties anglo population is about 15%

Have you look at:
Epiphany Catholic School,
Westminster Christian School,
Riviera Schools - private school, Coral Gables Miami South Florida (FL) - Fully Accredited

Old 05-27-2012, 10:37 AM

First of all, I was just surprised at the price difference in catholic schools up here and down there, but catholic school is more doable than the 3 private schools I have heard about. Also, my kids have been in CS since PreK3 so public is not an option. Our town is pretty much all caucasian and we do have some hispanic kids in our school and my kids have some in their classes as well as african american and asian kids. But the majority are caucasion and everyone speaks english and there's no separation. I am wondering if my kids would feel like a minority and if they'd feel weird because they don't speak Spanish and wouldn't have a lot of caucasian kids to make friends with. Would they be picked on because they were white? Would they fit in? Up here, if you are in a predominantly hispanic or Latino school it is usually a pretty rough school/neighborhood. That is a fact-not being a snob. So I am concerned with such a big cultural change. I looked at St Hughs- still not that many Caucasians and also St Teresa's in Coral Gables.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:23 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Have you looked into living in Broward or Palm Beach Counties to the north?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:46 AM

The job is in Coral Gables and we want to be close to work.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:19 AM

What about Miami Shores and St Rose? Nice area? Good Catholic School? Anyone??

Old 05-28-2012, 10:22 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWFAN View Post
First of all, I was just surprised at the price difference in catholic schools up here and down there, but catholic school is more doable than the 3 private schools I have heard about. Also, my kids have been in CS since PreK3 so public is not an option. Our town is pretty much all caucasian and we do have some hispanic kids in our school and my kids have some in their classes as well as african american and asian kids. But the majority are caucasion and everyone speaks english and there's no separation. I am wondering if my kids would feel like a minority and if they'd feel weird because they don't speak Spanish and wouldn't have a lot of caucasian kids to make friends with. Would they be picked on because they were white? Would they fit in? Up here, if you are in a predominantly hispanic or Latino school it is usually a pretty rough school/neighborhood. That is a fact-not being a snob. So I am concerned with such a big cultural change. I looked at St Hughs- still not that many Caucasians and also St Teresa's in Coral Gables.
1. I don't think there'd be animosity toward them because they're white, though they'd probably feel a bit out of place being among the handful who don't speak Spanish. Most kids speak English as their first language anyway, but that's not to say that Spanish isn't used as well.
2. The socioeconomic trends that exist elsewhere with regards to Hispanics don't quite apply here. Belen and Columbus aren't hotbeds for the Latin Kings if that's what you're getting at.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:57 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWFAN View Post
What about Miami Shores and St Rose? Nice area? Good Catholic School? Anyone??
yes plenty of caucasian in my neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami