Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,038 times

Advertisements

Well I''m not from Miami. But I could tell you one thing. If I were a Spanish speaking only Latino going to the US. Which would city would I prefer? A city like Miami which is mostly Latino and has many Spanish speaking people and where I could really get by with Spanish? Or a place like Fort Lauderdale where there are a lot of Hispanics but I would still be more comfortable in a place like Miami because of the prevalence of the Spanish language?

It's really easy folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 03:54 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
Being European and having lived here in Miami before I relocated up north (then came back again), I understand that mainstream US culture is tough to assimilate into. I understand that many Spanish speaking people would want to stay here for that reason + their friends and family are here. And honestly, I find most other major US cities to be painfully boring and conformist. I like that nobody cares here and I like the diversity and hearing another language than just English all the time.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:42 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,214 times
Dragon

Yes, the US is boring. The US Culture is impossible to assimilate if you are not born there. For example, car culture and residential living (not residential living in Europe where everything is close). People live in cars, socialize in cars, communicate their feeling with bumper stickers. There are no informal social gatherings of many friends because distances, people don't walk in streets, only in malls or places "to walk"..... Religion, I hate religion and I become paranoid with people organized by different church denominations (not Miami) or people asking you openly your religion. It's just like in Scotland many years ago, when Catholics were targeted.

Yes, Miami is better, not boring, as to languages, who cares? They have 4 official languages in your country and nobody cares, (Scot, English, Engish-Scot and Gaelic) but in the US they all get excited if they hear some Spanish. As to weather, why live in the US with a weather worse than Glasgow, but with no social security, no public transportation and no scot pies?

Last edited by cojoncillo; 06-30-2012 at 04:52 AM..

Old 06-30-2012, 05:25 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Dragon

Yes, the US is boring. The US Culture is impossible to assimilate if you are not born there. For example, car culture and residential living (not residential living in Europe where everything is close). People live in cars, socialize in cars, communicate their feeling with bumper stickers. There are no informal social gatherings of many friends because distances, people don't walk in streets, only in malls or places "to walk"..... Religion, I hate religion and I become paranoid with people organized by different church denominations (not Miami) or people asking you openly your religion. It's just like in Scotland many years ago, when Catholics were targeted.

Yes, Miami is better, not boring, as to languages, who cares? They have 4 official languages in your country and nobody cares, (Scot, English, Engish-Scot and Gaelic) but in the US they all get excited if they hear some Spanish. As to weather, why live in the US with a weather worse than Glasgow, but with no social security, no public transportation and no scot pies?
Haha, good post. It summarises a lot of how I felt when I lived in the rest of America, though some states are les religious than others. Many people in Miami are catholic, but no one has ever pushed their religious beliefs on me here.

As for the language thing, I have never in the life of me been able to understand why many Americans seem to have a problem with Spanish. This country has no official language! As you say, who cares? Except for us (shameful) Brits, most people in European countries are not only bilingual, but trilingual. It's healthy to know another language and it actually helps you appreciate the wider world a lot more. Spanish is a beautiful language, though I struggle with the pronounciation!

In the US, I could only live in Miami, NY or maybe southern California. I realise now why many immigrants who first arrive in Miami end up having no desire to leave. Nobody cares here and there isn't the "when you get to X age you can't do Y anymore" conformist BS you find in other parts of America. You still see 40+ year olds hitting bars & clubs and 50 year old women dressing young....I think that's great and liberating!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:57 AM

Dragon

I always see Scots in Spanish bars getting by using some sort of Spanish, they are always putting down English teams. They are very different from English. English are impervious to foreign languages, not all. They have the "language of the empire" thing, just like Castilians.

As to the religious stuff, Catholics in Miami won't care if you are a protestant. I know it was important in Scotland in the remote past, and that you had the Celtics and the Rangers, but I believe that now is mostly football.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 AM

313 posts, read 725,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Well I''m not from Miami. But I could tell you one thing. If I were a Spanish speaking only Latino going to the US. Which would city would I prefer? A city like Miami which is mostly Latino and has many Spanish speaking people and where I could really get by with Spanish? Or a place like Fort Lauderdale where there are a lot of Hispanics but I would still be more comfortable in a place like Miami because of the prevalence of the Spanish language?

It's really easy folks.
So true.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:39 AM

Not at all.
Americans have this paranoia about Spanish, but Latins or Europeans could not care less about language.
I think they stay in Miami because they are afraid, Americans have this international reputation of being violent and racist (not certain, of course). Hollywood movies and liberal politicians are to blame.
I recently was in Paris and Munster and there are lots of Latin Americans there, you also find a zillion Latin Americans in Italy.
Berlin is packed with Latin Americans, so are some Scandinavian cities.
What language do they speak, French, Italian and German and in the case of Sweden, Swedish.
Latins you find there are not upper class whites as a large percentage in Miami, but people that you can distinguish as Latins.
As to white Latins there, I can't tell them apart because my French and German are kind of rusty and I can't detect accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami