U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,258 times

Advertisements

So i'm a 22 year old single male from chicago, and its starting to look like i'm going to get to transfer to miami for work. I will not know anyone in the area, and will have a budget around $1,000-$1,200 (not sure of my salary quite yet). I'm going to be working in Doral, but I want to live in a place with a great night life to meet new people my age (bars and clubs in walking or cab distance). I don't nescesarrily want to be in a crowd with all college kids, but i don't want to be with people in their mid 30's either. Of course safety is a priority, and i hear the i'll get tired of a long commute. Also thinking that finding a roommate wouldn't be so bad to meet more people, and cut costs down. I know this is a big wish list but any information would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 01:40 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,075,544 times
Brickell and South Beach are your two options. If you do take on a roommate, then your budget will allow you a nice apartment. Go to Zillow and search for 2-bedroom rentals for $2000-2400 per month. That will give you a general idea of what's available.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:52 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,693,352 times
The commute will be a pain unless you live near Doral itself, which is very suburban family-oriented. Living on the mainland coast would make the commute much easier than the beaches, since the Macarthur Causeway often has delays. In addition to Brickell, I'd also look at Omni, Midtown/Wynwood, and the "upper east side." You should be able to find a studio or small 1br without a roommate there (in Brickell, forget about it-you need at least $1500 nowadays). BTW you will also find some of the UM college crowd in Brickell (they live with roommates of course). Actually, the Airport Expressway/I195 route is much more reliable than the Dolphin, even though you'd have to deal with NW 36th st. to get the rest of the way to Doral. Hope this helps!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,258 times
Thanks a lot for the info

Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM

38 posts, read 69,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Brickell and South Beach are your two options. If you do take on a roommate, then your budget will allow you a nice apartment. Go to Zillow and search for 2-bedroom rentals for $2000-2400 per month. That will give you a general idea of what's available.
Single male
And will have a budget around 1000-1200
plus
Were you even paying attention to his post? Also have you ever been here before?
Anyways I'd say either Kendall or North Miami will fit your budget, or you will need to find a roommate.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:47 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,075,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey1961 View Post
Single male
And will have a budget around 1000-1200
plus
Were you even paying attention to his post? Also have you ever been here before?
Anyways I'd say either Kendall or North Miami will fit your budget, or you will need to find a roommate.
LOOOOOOOOOL!

Let me point out something you weren't paying attention to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmckinn View Post
Also thinking that finding a roommate wouldn't be so bad to meet more people
$1000 x 2 = $2000
$1200 x 2 = $2400

Not only is my reading comprehension amazing, but my math skills are razor sharp.

Last edited by roadtrip75; 06-24-2012 at 10:55 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 PM

38 posts, read 69,597 times
Okay, so you got me there, but still, explain this to me.
Also don't you think that saying South Beach and Brickell are your only two options is a little close minded, besides the fact that Brickell and South Beach just happening to be the most expensive neighborhoods in Miami?
For that price I would get something a little more interesting like Wynwood, Upper East Side, ect.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:06 PM

684 posts, read 1,418,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmckinn View Post
So i'm a 22 year old single male from chicago, and its starting to look like i'm going to get to transfer to miami for work. I will not know anyone in the area, and will have a budget around $1,000-$1,200 (not sure of my salary quite yet). I'm going to be working in Doral, but I want to live in a place with a great night life to meet new people my age (bars and clubs in walking or cab distance). I don't nescesarrily want to be in a crowd with all college kids, but i don't want to be with people in their mid 30's either. Of course safety is a priority, and i hear the i'll get tired of a long commute. Also thinking that finding a roommate wouldn't be so bad to meet more people, and cut costs down. I know this is a big wish list but any information would be greatly appreciated.
That is your budget??

Doral is a bilingual city. Do you speak Spanish? it is not a must to survive but it is the main language spoken here.

The best places to meet locals in Doral are the Morgan Levy Park, L.A. Fitness, and the church.

La Covacha is a nightclub located on 107 avenue and nw 25 st and there is where Doralians party on Friday nights ::: LaCovacha.com :::

1,200$ will have you limited. You cannot afford a life on that budget in this city.

In order to survive in Miami, you need to make at least $2300 after taxes.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:11 PM

358 posts, read 679,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Actually, the Airport Expressway/I195 route is much more reliable than the Dolphin, even though you'd have to deal with NW 36th st. to get the rest of the way to Doral. Hope this helps!
This is true.

I would think long and hard about signing up for a commute in this town, but if you must be down on the beach, I195 plus 36th st is much, much better than relying on the Dolphin, which is like playing russian roulette with 4 bullets in the gun. The lights are very forgiving along 36th because the airport sits on one side of it. After work, you will spend most of your time getting from your Doral office through the light at 36th & Palmetto (driving east). Smooth sailing after that.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:23 PM

313 posts, read 698,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey1961 View Post
Okay, so you got me there, but still, explain this to me.
Also don't you think that saying South Beach and Brickell are your only two options is a little close minded, besides the fact that Brickell and South Beach just happening to be the most expensive neighborhoods in Miami?
For that price I would get something a little more interesting like Wynwood, Upper East Side, ect.
Only if he's a 22 year old gay male. And South Beach and Brickell are not the most expensive areas. If he is either straight or gay he will appreciate South Beach or Coconut Grove more since all he has to do is walk outside and everything he would need is there. No drunk driving. However he will still have a commute no matter where he lives to Doral during rush hour.

Also I lived in the upper side for 5 years and unless you like to see transvestite prostutes walking Biscayne Blvd. and crack heads I still would recommend SOBE or Coconut grove.

Coconut Grove is kinda like West Hollywood in California. South Beach can't be compared to anything in the USA.

Last edited by joeandmich; 06-26-2012 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: changes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami