Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:15 PM

179 posts, read 378,440 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to buy a decent ( 2+ bedroom, bath) house between 100k-250k in Miami, in a decent neighborhood (middle class) with young professionals? I have been browsing several real estate sites like trulia and zillow, but when i put the criteria, the results are a little pitiful. Where I am from a 250k house will get you 4+ bd/bth and even a decent yard, but 250k houses that yield from my search results looked like a straight up shody shack. I'm confused! Please shed some insight, and possibly recommend some good realtors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:26 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrudaluknglass View Post
Is it possible to buy a decent ( 2+ bedroom, bath) house between 100k-250k in Miami, in a decent neighborhood (middle class) with young professionals? I have been browsing several real estate sites like trulia and zillow, but when i put the criteria, the results are a little pitiful. Where I am from a 250k house will get you 4+ bd/bth and even a decent yard, but 250k houses that yield from my search results looked like a straight up shody shack. I'm confused! Please shed some insight, and possibly recommend some good realtors.
For around $200k-250k you could find a 2 bed condo in a decent neighborhood.

With all due respect, it sounds like you live in "fly-over" land.

You do realize that Miami is one of the very few major cities in the US that offers warm temperatures all year round, not to mention the beach (and in a no-state-income-tax state), and all of southeastern Florida in general is actually a relatively tiny strip of land sandwiched between the Atlantic Ocean and a huge swamp known as the Everglades? And that this strip of land is actually very hostile to human habitation if not for railroads, trucks, cars, airplanes, air-conditioning, refridgeration, seaports, and modern finance? It all requires are huge allocation of national and even international resources to support the lifestyle here, otherwise it would all still be mostly swamp, as it was throughout human history until around the 1910s-1920s.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
For around $200k-250k you could find a 2 bed condo in a decent neighborhood.

With all due respect, it sounds like you live in "fly-over" land.

Explain "fly over land"

Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Explain "fly over land"
States and cities people just fly over. Fort Wayne Indiana, Dayton Ohio, Topeka Kansas, Wichtia, Billings etc..

But you do not need to be from places like that to be used to cheaper real estate. Even in cities like Dallas and Phoneix homes tend to be a good amount cheaper than Miami. Especially homes in good neighborhoods.

Here is the thing about Miami. It is more dense than most cities and much smaller land wise than most. There is no more room to build new homes making homes in good neighborhoods fairly expensive. And it truly is location, location location. You can find a large home in Broward on a nice lot for 500k that same home on a smaller lot in say Coral Gables. Coconut Grove or Morningside will be double the price. I will say you might be able to find something around 250k but add about 100k to that and some fairly nice neighborhoods come in. But for 100k you can't even buy a small condo for that price in a good neighborhood.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:15 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Fly over country, its basically every State not on a coast.

200-250 will not get you much in a way of a house in one of the nicer areas. You could get a house in that price range out in western Miami in places like Kendall. If you want to live in one of the cooler, hipper areas where young professionals are its best to take the advice of other members and look for a condo, maybe a townhouse. Just heard that Miami is one of the hottest markets in Real Estate right now. Prices in some area are going above asking price. You could look at Broward it will be a little cheaper, and you might get a newer home out west for that price.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:48 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
The real Fly Over States

Jason Aldean- Fly Over States - YouTube

Old 06-28-2012, 01:08 PM

thank you all, youve helped me, but made me feel slightly retarded

Old 06-28-2012, 03:25 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
thank you all, youve helped me, but made me feel slightly retarded
I have some friends who recently moved here who were surprised about the prices too. Nothing to feel dumb about. I get shocked at how low prices are in other areas.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:01 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I have some friends who recently moved here who were surprised about the prices too. Nothing to feel dumb about. I get shocked at how low prices are in other areas.
Same here, I am also surprised by the prices in other places when compared to Miami and even South Florida in general.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 AM

60 posts, read 132,798 times
Check out Shorecrest. It's a great location. EZ access to 95, the beach, downtown/Brickell, walking distance to the Bay. It's east of Biscayne just South of Miami Shores. You shd be able to get a 3/2 w/ a decent yard for $250k. It's an older neighborhood (by Miami standards, approx 1939-1941) so the BRs are decently sized. Cool architecture. Young professionals moving in. It's not far from not great neighborhoods (but you can say that just about anywhere in Miami) but it is also close to uber cool homes on the water and $$$ homes in Miami Shores. And you won't find a SF home closer to downtown/Brickell for less.

That said, it's east of Biscayne so it's in a flood zone and homeowners insurance, including flood, is $$$$$$ (approx $6k / yr.).

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions related to the 'hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami