U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 08:35 PM

8 posts, read 15,388 times

Advertisements

Hello there, I'm new to the forum and have been looking at different neighborhoods as I will be moving to Miami this september. Am looking to get a studio or 1 bedroom apartment for around $750 tops.

Would love some advice for neighborhoods to look at! Young, laid back, non-commercial, doesn't need to be the safest place ever, it can have some character and it needs to feel like a real neighborhood that people live at everyday not touristy place like south beach. Doesn't need to be close to the beach or water. Restaurants, art galleries, gym, etc would be a plus.

Some neighborhoods i've been told to look at:

Midtown Miami
Near Venetian Cossway Bridge
North Miami Beach
Wynnwood
Edgewater

any other recommendations/comments on the places above?

Thanks a million!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:37 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,221,112 times
I assume you have a car?

Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 PM

Yes, have a car so getting around/getting to work doesn't matter just as long as it's in the miami area.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:09 AM

4,625 posts, read 9,028,915 times
Go to South Beach and walk around the back streets looking for FOR RENT signs. MB has everything your looking for and a lot more chicks. MB is a very big city - really only Washington, Collins, and Ocean are super touristy. I lived there for three awesome years and almost never went to those plastic tourist clubs - there's a ton of more life there besides those three strips! The back streets like Jefferson, Michigan etc are very neighborhoodish. Find the cheapest one run by some old Cuban church lady. That one will be the best, cuz it will be filled with down to earth people you'll absolutely love rather than Gucci posers in Club Skru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwkmac View Post
Hello there, I'm new to the forum and have been looking at different neighborhoods as I will be moving to Miami this september. Am looking to get a studio or 1 bedroom apartment for around $750 tops.

Would love some advice for neighborhoods to look at! Young, laid back, non-commercial, doesn't need to be the safest place ever, it can have some character and it needs to feel like a real neighborhood that people live at everyday not touristy place like south beach. Doesn't need to be close to the beach or water. Restaurants, art galleries, gym, etc would be a plus.

Some neighborhoods i've been told to look at:

Midtown Miami
Near Venetian Cossway Bridge
North Miami Beach
Wynnwood
Edgewater

any other recommendations/comments on the places above?

Thanks a million!

Old 07-09-2012, 06:00 AM

South beach seems to be very hard to find a place in the $750 range.

any more recommendations?

Old 07-09-2012, 06:20 AM

6,853 posts, read 20,083,397 times
In South Beach the best thing is to do is drive around, you will see for rent signs in the windows.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:18 AM

38 posts, read 61,882 times
Well I'm not sure about you guys, but last time I checked South Beach started in the 1300's range, and that gets you something dumpy to say the least.
@ XS O BE Just wondering, how would do you know all of this when you location says Dallas.
Also allow me to quote a specific line he made against South Beach:
it can have some character and it needs to feel like a real neighborhood that people live at everyday not touristy place like south beach
I'd say for a place that feels down to earth non-uppity like you seem to want would be west Kendall, as a lot of people that work in Brickell that I know of actually live down there.
I don't know any other locations in Miami that you wont be hard pressed trying to find a studio or 1bd under $750. P.S. I'd chose the later as if your claustrophobic you will that yourself later=).

Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM

6,853 posts, read 20,083,397 times
A friend of mine rents a studio a block from Lincoln Rd for 650 a month. Its tiny, tiny kitchen, no parking, no washing machine, nothing special. If you want more things, a nicer place, you'll have to spend more money or move out west or get a roommate.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:11 PM

I am not into the whole south beach lifestyle. I want a place that feels like a cool young neighborhood. like new york soho or something. a lot of places to walk to, not a ton of traffic, not too crazy, cool restaurants.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:54 PM

4,625 posts, read 9,028,915 times
Cuz as my name implies, I live on SoBe for about three years total between 86 and 91. I go back and visit every couple years. When I lived there I paid no more than $200 a month for my efficiency.

Again as I mentioned to the PP, I personally feels most of MB feels very much like a "real neighborhood" other than the Wash/Collins/Ocean strips. It feels like any typical northeastern or european urban environment. I think Kendall feels like a moonbase. I lived there on 94th street for 3 months.

I do think he can find a reasonable little roach hotel on the backstreets like near Flamingo Park or perhaps further up on North Beach. I think the life experience of being able to walk to the corner store, to the beach, catch a bus to anywhere anytime, and just fight off the hotties day and night - hell - that lifestyle is way better than he could get in most places in the USA. MB is the shyt when yer young. I recommend it to him.

I admit $750 may be hard to do these days. Maybe that's history now, dunno. I'd say it's worth a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey1961 View Post
Well I'm not sure about you guys, but last time I checked South Beach started in the 1300's range, and that gets you something dumpy to say the least.
@ XS O BE Just wondering, how would do you know all of this when you location says Dallas.
Also allow me to quote a specific line he made against South Beach:
it can have some character and it needs to feel like a real neighborhood that people live at everyday not touristy place like south beach
I'd say for a place that feels down to earth non-uppity like you seem to want would be west Kendall, as a lot of people that work in Brickell that I know of actually live down there.
I don't know any other locations in Miami that you wont be hard pressed trying to find a studio or 1bd under $750. P.S. I'd chose the later as if your claustrophobic you will that yourself later=).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or