Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:35 PM

625 posts, read 3,635,815 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm thinking about taking Amtrak to Miami this year coming in the day before my cruise sets sail. I don't like flying so I'm debating on taking the train. Anyone have any idea how much a cab would cost from the train station to south beach? Last year we paid $25 to get from the airport to our hotel. Then later we paid about $45 to get to and from our hotel to south beach. Any idea on cab costs?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 AM

313 posts, read 725,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Hi I'm thinking about taking Amtrak to Miami this year coming in the day before my cruise sets sail. I don't like flying so I'm debating on taking the train. Anyone have any idea how much a cab would cost from the train station to south beach? Last year we paid $25 to get from the airport to our hotel. Then later we paid about $45 to get to and from our hotel to south beach. Any idea on cab costs?

Thanks

Call Yellow Cab at (305) 444-4444 and ask for a quote.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:39 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,190,229 times
It will vary a bit with traffic and where exactly in south beach, but expect to pay between $35 to $40 + tip for taxi from Amtrak Station to south beach.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Depending on your baggage situation and your patience, you could also do this:

"L" bus direct to Lincoln Road on the local roads.
-OR-
cab, metrorail, or #42 bus to Miami Central Station/MIA; then Route 150 Airport Flyer to South Beach on the expressway (it does have extra space for baggage).
MIA station opens this Sunday, if it's before then, you'd go to Earlington Heights or the airport terminal to get the #150.

Then enjoy a few more drinks on the Beach

Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 AM

36 posts, read 66,922 times
I believe cab fares in Miami-Dade County are regulated by code, and I believe it may cost around 45 dollars from Amtrak to South Beach. Back in the summer of 2009, it costed me 35 dollars to go from South Beach to Miami International Airport. In my opinion Amtrak is the worsest way to travel to Miami, especially a day before the cruise. Amtrak gets delayed down south almost daily since Amtrak uses CSX railroad trackage, and CSX gives priority to their freight trains delaying Amtrak constantly. I prefer Amtrak over flying too, but to be on the safe side you should fly down. From my experience Amtrak never runs on-time.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:52 AM

625 posts, read 3,635,815 times
Thanks for all of your advice! I've decided to fly so I can arrive early enough to actually enjoy South Beach and paying $200 for a hotel just to spend less than 10 hours in the city seems like a waste.

Thanks again!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all of your advice! I've decided to fly so I can arrive early enough to actually enjoy South Beach and paying $200 for a hotel just to spend less than 10 hours in the city seems like a waste.

Thanks again!
Agreed It's cheaper, quicker, safer. Enjoy!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:08 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:

Thanks again!
I should mention as another option is that after July 28th. the new Metrorail station at the Airport / Intermodal Center will open for service. You will take the new Airport People Mover from the Airport that connects with the new Airport Metrorail station ($2 fare) & it will drop you off at the main station in downtown Miami where you can transfer to a bus to South Beach.

Even if you took AMTRAK you can connect to Metrorail since their is a transfer staion between the two systems. A question I have is how much luggage will you be carrying around with you on South Beach if you won't be staying at a hotel?

Either way you will save money using the Metrorail / Metrobus system whether it be at the Airport or using AMTRAK instead of a cab.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:21 AM

399 posts, read 728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I should mention as another option is that after July 28th. the new Metrorail station at the Airport / Intermodal Center will open for service. You will take the new Airport People Mover from the Airport that connects with the new Airport Metrorail station ($2 fare) & it will drop you off at the main station in downtown Miami where you can transfer to a bus to South Beach.

Even if you took AMTRAK you can connect to Metrorail since their is a transfer staion between the two systems. A question I have is how much luggage will you be carrying around with you on South Beach if you won't be staying at a hotel?

Either way you will save money using the Metrorail / Metrobus system whether it be at the Airport or using AMTRAK instead of a cab.

Actually, that transfer station is between Metrorail and Tri-Rail, not Amtrak. The Amtrak station is a few blocks away, might not be walkable w/ a lot of luggage. Another option would be Amtrak to Hollywood, then transfer to Tri-Rail (same platform), then Metrorail.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:07 PM

Again, the rail option might not be the best for this out of town traveler, and having to make several transfers can be a headache. I'm sure the last thing this traveler would want to do is be on another two sets of trains after riding Amtrak overnight. It's quick, easy, and painless to fly to MIA, and then cab it to South Beach. Trust me I used to live in Florida, and I know better than to rely on rail in South Florida since rail travel in Florida is not as through yet like New York, Philadelphia, or Boston. If Amtrak is smart they will try to acquire trackage rights from Florida East Coast Railway since those tracks run closer to the Atlantic Coast near the beach, and tourism area. Tourism is big in South Florida compared to 30+ years ago, and you Floridians should step up, and have your politicians make this happen so that travelers like Neekah can enjoy direct rail travel to the hot spots in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami