U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,101 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am considering a move to Florida solely for ocean access year round and though it isn't my first choice, Miami Beach seems to be the front runner, given that it has a mass transit system and I cannot drive due to medical reasons. I haven't found any other part of Florida that has good public transit to the beach.

I have not visited Miami yet, but am planning a trip to check things out. I would like some advice on which neighborhoods to visit that would best suit my needs.

I would be looking to rent a small studio apt. for no more than $700 per month, not in a high-crime area, and close to a bus line that would take me directly to a beach. Are there specific neighborhoods to avoid?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 04:11 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,852,779 times
There are a ton of neighborhoods to avoid at that price range, not too many to reccomend. You may be able to find something at that price in Miami Beach. There is no neighborhood in Miamk Beach that I would call high crime. There are a few parts in the northwestern part of the city of Miami Beach that aren't great but anywhere in Miami Beach will be close to the ocean.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:29 PM

309 posts, read 563,666 times
700/month will realistically not get you much of anything on, or even near, the beach; unless you are willing to consider a roommate situation. (which is possible, you just have to be prepared to do some legwork to find, research, and fully vet, a suitable roommate or apt-share).

i live on Miami Beach up around 85th street - that's called 'North Beach' - and even the smallest studios up here begin at around 800-900/month, and that is considered cheap for these parts. The lower down you go towards South Beach, apts. are even more costly. This area where i live, around 'north beach', is probably the most affordable, as it's sandwiched in-between the high-priced condos of South Beach, and the Surfside/Bal Harbor area, which is also pretty high-end, and more expensive.

For your budget, you will be looking at the mainland... that would be "Miami" - not "Miami Beach" - in areas like North Miami, or the city of "North Miami Beach" (which is actually not 'on' the beach, but is a totally separate town, located on the mainland, and is due north of 'North Miami'. (confusing, i know, but important to know.) These aren't ghetto or horribly bad areas, but are more urban, and of course, not as much of that beachy vibe as actually living 'on' Miami Beach.

i'm not sure about the public trans, but someone else will be able to advise on that part.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:41 PM

6,853 posts, read 20,754,495 times
My friend rents a place a block from Lincoln Road in South Beach for $650. So a tiny studio, with no parking, tiny kitchen, nothing special to the building is what you will find for that price range. It's doable, your going to have to look around.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:51 PM

309 posts, read 563,666 times
wow, really doggiebus???!! Well butter my buns and call me a biscuit, i stand corrected.

however, i do have to say i saw a few of those kinds of studios when i was apt. hunting, (although not at that great price!) - and they're basically just a small hotel room; none had a full kitchen, just a fridge & microwave, maybe a hot plate; but no stove.

That wasn't enough for me, I need some room to breathe, parking, and a real kitchen. but it might work for this OP, especially since parking will not be needed.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:26 PM

6,853 posts, read 20,754,495 times
^^^ Yep, I was shocked too when I heard the price. Never thought you could find anything under $1000. Especially so close to Lincoln road, its a studio, one room with a tiny kitchen if you can call it a kitchen. No parking. If you live in South Beach and are young, its like living in New York City where your never home, your always out with friends, at the beach or at work. So it doesn't matter how small your place is, being in walking distance is the more important factor because your hardly home anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami