Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:51 PM

40 posts, read 217,187 times

Advertisements

Miami is one city I have in mind as a possible place to consider looking for work after I finish my degree in a couple years. I want to be able to live by the beach to go anytime I want and as far as I am aware, the weather is nice all year around. So that would be a change of where I have lived all my life where it gets hot and humid all summer but then cold and windy in the winter. So I want to know where the best places I should look at living as a young professional whether it is a nice area of the city or outside the city where I can afford rent that is considered "reasonable" and not considered "cheap" to live where it is a less desirable area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 06:49 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
You need to focus on getting your degree and a job. When you start looking for a job then you should consider cities let alone Neighborhoods.

You mention you do not like hot and humid weather? This isn't southern California. 5-6 months of the year it's hot and extremely humid. 4 months of the year it rains almost on a daily basis. However, winters are fantastic. 65-82 degrees every day with a little bit of rain but not much.

Anyway most young professionals these days are moving to Brickell and downtown. But again until you get a job here nothing you need to worry about.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
And Brickell is expensive!!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
You need to focus on getting your degree and a job. When you start looking for a job then you should consider cities let alone Neighborhoods.

You mention you do not like hot and humid weather? This isn't southern California. 5-6 months of the year it's hot and extremely humid. 4 months of the year it rains almost on a daily basis. However, winters are fantastic. 65-82 degrees every day with a little bit of rain but not much.

Anyway most young professionals these days are moving to Brickell and downtown. But again until you get a job here nothing you need to worry about.
Well I didn't say I didn't like hot and humid, I was just describing the weather I've been around all my life. I prefer less humidity but I more prefer the idea that you mentioned the weather to be nice during the winter.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:53 AM

326 posts, read 949,443 times
Maybe try researching if there are plentiful jobs in what your degree will be in? If it's in restaurant or hotel management then you're probably going to be able to find work.
Whether rent will be reasonable or not depends on where you're coming from. If you live in NYC, Boston, and maybe even Chicago then you'll find rent to be more reasonable, but if you're coming from Kansas City or Omaha then you're eyes will be spinning in your head at the cost of rent.
Are there other beach cities that you're interested in? What's your dream job? Maybe with a few more details the people here will be able to guide you in some sort of direction, be it Miami, elsewhere in Florida or somewhere else in the country.
People do want to be helpful, but those of us who live here are pretty realistic about what day to day life is like and it isn't always about being able to go to the beach and having nice winter weather.
But, and that's a big but, it's always easier to move around and try to get a feel for places while you're younger and have fewer responsibilities.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForTheSea View Post
Maybe try researching if there are plentiful jobs in what your degree will be in? If it's in restaurant or hotel management then you're probably going to be able to find work.
Whether rent will be reasonable or not depends on where you're coming from. If you live in NYC, Boston, and maybe even Chicago then you'll find rent to be more reasonable, but if you're coming from Kansas City or Omaha then you're eyes will be spinning in your head at the cost of rent.
Are there other beach cities that you're interested in? What's your dream job? Maybe with a few more details the people here will be able to guide you in some sort of direction, be it Miami, elsewhere in Florida or somewhere else in the country.
People do want to be helpful, but those of us who live here are pretty realistic about what day to day life is like and it isn't always about being able to go to the beach and having nice winter weather.
But, and that's a big but, it's always easier to move around and try to get a feel for places while you're younger and have fewer responsibilities.
I am looking at work that deals with special positions like narcotics and other drug task forces, criminal investigations, or other special groups whether they are federal, state, or local level. As far as beach cities, I only know of south beach and Miami beach since most people from where I live (Atlanta area) are always going to destin or panama city beach. With rent, I don't expect to pay what the typical cost in the Atlanta area costs.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 AM

326 posts, read 949,443 times
Your job prospects will be good I would think. You will be disappointed with the cost of living most likely.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForTheSea View Post
Your job prospects will be good I would think. You will be disappointed with the cost of living most likely.
Unless the agency has a benefit to help with the cost of living like helping with a discounted cost of rent. I'll have to see what benefits are offered. I know no one in that field will be rich off of that income, but as any person in that field gets higher rankings and years of experience, they do earn more than when they first started.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:15 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
If you are looking for a federal law enforcement officer/agent job I am sure you know that you do not have much of a say on where you live.

As for local police or lower level support staff then yes you can have a say. Plenty of federal, state and local agencies down here. I think Miami-Dade and Miamj PD would be the only ones involved with large task force or ones that have their own units. ICE/HSI, FBI and the DEA naturally have a very large presence down here too. But really nothing you can do until you search for jobs and if there are any openings IMO don't worry about this stuff now enjoy college!!

Old 07-18-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
If you are looking for a federal law enforcement officer/agent job I am sure you know that you do not have much of a say on where you live.

As for local police or lower level support staff then yes you can have a say. Plenty of federal, state and local agencies down here. I think Miami-Dade and Miamj PD would be the only ones involved with large task force or ones that have their own units. ICE/HSI, FBI and the DEA naturally have a very large presence down here too. But really nothing you can do until you search for jobs and if there are any openings IMO don't worry about this stuff now enjoy college!!
Yeah I know I wouldn't have a say if I do federal. If they allow a request of which locations by interest, then that would be cool if I got one there. But I will see what I get. But I will enjoy college while I'm still in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami