Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:43 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times

Advertisements

There have been a million threads on this subject already but one has to prove discrimination first. What good is it to hire a English speaking only appllicant when the job requires one to be bilingual? I think a lot of these threads have more to do with the fact English only speakers they because they are "qualified" for a job they are entitled to it over some who is bilingual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 12:53 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
"Reverse" discrimination doesn't exist in Miami. The majority of people are fluent in the Spanish language.

It's simply discrimination.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:49 AM

497 posts, read 1,429,897 times
We have similar issue here in public administration. The Self-Government of Catalonia requires Spanish and a Level C of Catalan to anybody wishing to apply for public administration. Not only that, Catalan was the "prioritary" language in all administrative dealings (reppealed recently by the Constitutional Tribunal).

So, is it constitutional to impose English and Spanish to exert any public employment in Dade, considering that both languages are official and needed?

I remember that when I lived in Dade, most of low level public servants were the so-called "tokens". They very gigantic donut guzzlers of dark complexion that could only utter words in some strange southern dialect. When you wanted to solve something, you had to talk to an Anglo or Jewish person.

I personally think that Dade should hire qualified bilinguals from now on, but leaving in place qualified Anglos and Jews with years of experience...or just making then pass some basic Spanish course. Any intelligent person can learn, say, a level B of Spanish, just by perfusion.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:11 AM

115 posts, read 206,355 times
I think it's funny how people call Miami a "bilingual" city, yet when you enter a store, ask for a product, try to be friendly or just communicate with employees, most of the time they either ignore you completely, or just brush you off because they don't speak a lick of English, and the funniest thing of all is that even some employees who ARE bilingual will only address you in Spanish (sometimes out of spite)... and I've seen this with my own two eyes since I work in Customer Service. I find that there is a great deal of favoritism in Miami and that this "must be bilingual" thing is just a bunch of BS. I've had customers thank me about three times for using English with them. It's embarrassing!

Old 08-09-2012, 03:50 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
"Reverse" discrimination doesn't exist in Miami. The majority of people are fluent in the Spanish language.

It's simply discrimination.
And that leads to another important observation: In the white sector of American society, there are people at every level (academia, media, government, religious, corporate) strenuously advocating for the rights of minorities. In contrast, there is nobody in the Miami Latino community advocating for minorities like Anglos or blacks. I doubt Latinos are unique in this regard. Most likely they are the norm.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,402 times
They are the norm. They treat their whites as whites, and they advocate for the rights of THEIR minorities. The so-called "Anglos" you are talking about do not have any sense in South Florida, since there are Hispanic Jews, Hispanic Italians, Hispanic Irish, Hispanic Germans, Hispanic Spaniard, Hispanics from Lepe, etc.

If you talk in terms of "Hispanics" and "Whites" in South Florida, everybody will think you are some sort of yokel from a trailer park and they won't hire you (American corp. included) not for even tending tables.

You are talking according guidelines of Stormfront California, not South Florida.

Hispanics are a culture, not a race.

Not different at all from the Ol' Boy mentality, except that Cubans in South Florida are the Ol' Boys and you are the House N-word. Capisce? It goes the same way in every other city, Irish in Boston, Polish in Chicago...

Do you have a former education? Did you read Tammamy Hall?

There's a Tammamy Hall in every American city, the pezzovanantes change from city to city but it's just the same....

Ohh...another thing, the Academia (notwithstanding their cultural identity or ethnia) always writes and speaks the same OL' BS.

Last edited by Mollet; 08-11-2012 at 12:19 AM..

Old 08-11-2012, 12:34 AM

48 posts, read 95,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
so, if an employer accepts all applications, interviews everyone and examines their skills and qualifications - and then makes the choice to hire the applicant with what they determine to be the most skills, which they feel are the best fit for being able to perform the duties of the position .... how is that discrimination? If 50% of my customer base speaks English, and the other 50% speaks Spanish, why would I hire someone who can only do half the job?

to me it just sounds like so much complaining cause someone else with superior skills, that are specifically pertinent and useful to the company's business need, beat them out.

and incidentally, this is another thing that is not about "Miami". it isn't some local phenomenon; this same dynamic is present in Philly, NJ, and NYC, same way, (and probably many other USA cities). Even street signs and public notices have been in both English and Spanish for probably 25 years already in some neighborhoods; and some areas have less English spoken than another language. And the people who can speak those additional languages have the better shot at getting the jobs in those areas; they will always be chosen over other applicants with equivalent job skills, but without the 2nd language ability.

And the more multi-cultural this country becomes, the more common this will be, in even more cities in the USA. And not just Spanish, but whatever additional languages are prevalent in a given community.

Nearly every other country in the world teaches English along with their own language, as a standard part of their elementary school curriculums, starting from young ages and taught fully, not just 2 years as a high-school elective. Only here are we not taught to be equally prepared for the real world. And it's gonna hurt any American who feels it's not necessary. It's modern times, it IS necessary in today's business environment - anyone who doesn't know more than one language is gonna get left behind.
I'm not sure where you are from, but when you travel you quickly realize, while other countries may teach their students English at a young age, few actually learn enough to hold a basic conversation. The US Schools system does teach children to be bilingual, its all the children who benefit from ESL programs. They are given an unfair advantage. I wonder how immigrants who do not bother to teach their children English would feel if the US school systems refused to teach children English. Let's see how they would feel with broken English trying to get a job anywhere in the US.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:56 AM

48 posts, read 95,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I agree with everyone that says it logical to have Spanish AND English speaking people especially people like assistants who deal with the clients a lot etc.. However, especially in the service and retail industry a HUGE problem Miami has is that there are many many workers out there that ONLY speak Spanish. That is not right. And as Miami becomes more international meaning not just Latin America English is needed too. English is the international language and I think that is why we Americans are a bit spoiled in that we don't really need to speak another language like some others have said. That really is wrong, we only need to speak another language when it's Hispanics IMO. Everyone in Europe learns English. Asia and the Middle East too. But for some reason we here in Miami with a large Hispanic population and business find that they don't learn English and only speak Spanish. So its ok for them to speak spanish only but us "dumb" Americans only knowing English is stupid. When English is the worlds language now. Where is the logic in that?

Of course knowing another language helps, and I understand why businesses want that. But to call people who don't speak two languages lazy, or behind is not right because the reason you say they need that skill is because a large portion of the customer base only speaks one language too and that is Spanish.
Great points! Its so funny that the bilingual hispanics in life, on this forum, and on the streets will say the things that you posted over and over, without acknowledging or placing blame on their lazy Tios, Abuelos or Padres that do not speak any English. And thats why none of them have replied to your post. While living in Colombia for a year, I have never met another American who did not speak Spanish. They all spoke enough to get by.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:00 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,888,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbelievable2012 View Post
Diversity is a great thing and I believe it benefits society overall. I enjoy living in Miami and it is beautiful throughout the different communities in Miami-Dade county. The Latino groups are thriving here and are clearly dominant. I have traveled throughout South America as well and I enjoyed experiencing the different cultures and learning about them. Living here and trying to experience a fair opportunity in the labor market is what concerns me. In most of the government bodies here in Miami and the Miami-Dade county is managed by the Latino community members and it has been obvious to me that if you are a well educated white individual that meets the qualifications that your name is being passed up and not being fairly considered for government positions. When I say well educated, I am talking about having at least a bachelor degree from an accredited college or university. There is no doubt that this is happening in the Miami area and it is wrong.
What is "reverse" discrimination ?

discrimination is discrimination, the reverse would be none.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:09 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,728 times
I am sorry to hear of your situation and maybe I can help you better understand you are not alone in the way you were treated.

I worked a total of 26 years for the governement in the NE section of the US when I was shot down for a position. The time was 9 years ago and I applied for a position that I was currently training govt. Managers and Supervisors to perform for 18 continuous months. I also set up the same training program for the City Police, City Fire chiefs, govt officials including city executives so they can be on board with the new Presidential Ordered program.

Funny but sad did happen to me. I did apply for the vacant job I was teaching and I didn't get the job. I was informed I did not qualify....A few years earlier I applied for a District Customer Service position and a woman won the position that worked for me...She had used all of her sick leave on minor issues. Also she had family in Washington DC that made the rules for applying for the CS position and the original rules were changed until her cousin was awarded the position.

Now that is discrimination but the govt. can pick who they want regardless of education or time in position applicant have attained unless the position specifically states the minimum education requirements.

There are a few positions that the employer can discriminate against individuals who are best qulified to someone who they believe is "best" suited...

I spent over $175,000 for my education and both positions were awarded to someone who has at best a HS diploma...

I believe the best we can do is to talk about discrepancies and do not give up.. Good luck but then again I believe you do not require luck because you are well qualified for another position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami