Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:58 AM

19 posts, read 41,763 times

Advertisements

One of the things I noticed when I moved down here from Boston is how much people talk over each other here. Especially in meetings, there seems to be no pause in the conversations to speak up. And people will ramble on and on saying the same thing over and over again in different ways. I'm starting to learn how to just start yelling whatever I want to say at the time, but it's a bit strange for me. I feel like it's rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 01:44 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
I see you have started to experience the real Miami. Rules really don't apply in South Florida, like they do in other parts of this country. Once you start doing it yourself, you have to catch yourself from interrupting the other person. My mother is one of those people that go on and on about one thing and has to tell you the history on something before she starts what she really wants to say. It drives me batty.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:28 PM

529 posts, read 1,145,436 times
I thought you meant two people speaking to each other at the same time....with one trying to make the other listen by talking even louder. I'm guilty of it, but I usually only do it with people who do the same.

Interrupting someone mid-sentence to make a point or correction is also something that I see as somewhat normal. Don't know if it's the same everywhere else. You should try to do it in meetings I guess, I don't think you have to yell. Just start talking...you don't have to raise your hand.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:00 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Miami is a hybrid mixture of people from all over, It definitely ain't a polite charming southern city that is for sure.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:03 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellebolton View Post
One of the things I noticed when I moved down here from Boston is how much people talk over each other here. Especially in meetings, there seems to be no pause in the conversations to speak up. And people will ramble on and on saying the same thing over and over again in different ways. I'm starting to learn how to just start yelling whatever I want to say at the time, but it's a bit strange for me. I feel like it's rude.
Not common at all in professional business settings.

I notice this occurs where the meeting chairholder is weak. What you describe here is seen daily on national mainstream media and particularly when opposing political party spokespersons are voicing positions. So it is not emblematic of Miami than elsewhere.

It is rude. Be professional and handle the situation properly.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:00 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
polite charming southern city
Total oxymoron!!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:34 PM

529 posts, read 1,145,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Total oxymoron!!
I was thinking the same...

Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 PM

56 posts, read 125,143 times
Quote:
I've encountered the same types of behaviors all over the world, and although to you it may seem to be more prevalent in Miami, it is not unique to Miami. I've had meetings in Des Moines, Iowa with farmers and people have acted in this manner. I suspect certain topics may even cause MIT professors to behave in this way.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:51 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Quote:
ramble on and on saying the same thing over and over again in different ways. .
care to share an example of thsi?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:32 AM

79 posts, read 151,909 times
I guess I am still in the honeymoon stage - because this type of behavior still intimidates me. It is almost like "I have to be louder because I don't like your point of view and you need to know mine to understand why you are wrong" mentality in some places.

Professionally, I have not seen this happen. It can be rude. If you find yourself doing it, remind yourself of this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: