Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:52 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times

Advertisements

First a little background: I lived in the Maryland suburbs of DC (Bethesda/Chevy Chase, Olney, Gaithersburg) for 25 years before moving to Las Vegas a couple of years ago. I am a native Miamian and currently renting a condo on Miami Beach for three months and driving into West Miami (not too far from Doral) daily.

Now to answer some of your questions: Driving across the bridges in the morning and returning in the afternoon is no problem whatsoever. You're heading against traffic and it will add no more than 5-10 minutes to a commute from downtown to Doral (depending upon where on the beach you're starting from).

The traffic in Miami is not nearly as bad as D.C., but the drivers are much crazier. And speeding, abrupt lane changes, and tailgaiting is the least of it. I'm talking downright crazy and idiotic. A couple of days ago, I saw a moron quickly cross four lanes of traffic on a local expressway, slam on his breaks as he tried to exit and realized that he wouldn't make it, and then drive down the grass embankment to rejoin the exit!

I think the Spanish issue is overblown, and is actually much better than it was 30 years ago when I lived here. Back then, there would be many times when I would walk into an establishment (store, grocery, restaurant, etc.) and no one spoke English. I haven't yet had a problem like that since I've been back. And I'm not just talking about Miami Beach either. I've been doing my grocery shopping and buying gas in southwest Miami because it's cheaper than on the beach. I've been doing my banking there too because it's more convenient for me. I've also been going to restaurants there; a couple of which are in/near Doral: Shorty's & Flanagan's. I've never had a problem communicating with any server/store employee/bank teller I've encountered. In fact, I heard a phrase last week that I never thought I'd hear uttered in Miami: a woman walked up to the pharmacy in a CVS and asked the pharmacist if he spoke Spanish. (He did and they continued their conversation.) I remember seeing signs in stores 30 years ago that stated "We speak English" because it had become such a rare experience for Anglos to find English-speakers in Miami. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 09:12 PM

14 posts, read 19,953 times
Thanks, madman. I'm going to be running around on Friday night and Saturday day. Still not sold on the beach. Haven't had a real commute in four years, but it's good to know the bridges aren't a big deal. Kind of liking the idea of a high rise condo in downtown or Brickell. If i found a place I really liked at the beach, I would still consider it.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 PM

380 posts, read 961,727 times
Tarvas, where in NOVA are you from? arlington, alexandria, fairfax? further out? Traffic wont be as bad as in DC, but it exists especially around rush hour and you get used to the miami rythm... Condo prices are on the rise in Brickell, they are building more/have plans in the works.

you will find what people consider normal distances to drive to be longer than your used to (although this depends where in nova your living).

Old 09-04-2012, 10:00 AM

225 posts, read 447,284 times
NOVA is very different from here so it depends on your style...I personally couldnt imagine living in fairfax again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami