Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:31 AM

49 posts, read 151,843 times

Advertisements

I can't believe I missed this thread before I moved here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...ing-scene.html

or this one:

//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...ike-miami.html

I guess it's all true. I work out at the gym 3x a week, I make more than $100k a year, I drive a sports car, I'm well spoken. I'm not saying I'm the hottest property, but I can't find a girlfriend here in miami. I spend most entire weekends in south beach. I've been to dozens of bars & clubs. I've talked to dozens and dozens of women. I've even gotten many, many phone numbers. I'm out there trying as hard as I can and nothing is happening.

I don't know the reasoning behind this, but I would never have had this hard a time in New York City. I wish I would have been warned before I came here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenboyce View Post

or this one:

I guess it's all true. I work out at the gym 3x a week, I make more than $100k a year, I drive a sports car, I'm well spoken. I'm not saying I'm the hottest property, but I can't find a girlfriend here in miami. I spend most entire weekends in south beach. I've been to dozens of bars & clubs. I've talked to dozens and dozens of women. I've even gotten many, many phone numbers. I'm out there trying as hard as I can and nothing is happening.

I don't know the reasoning behind this, but I would never have had this hard a time in New York City. I wish I would have been warned before I came here.
Maybe cuz u go to South Beach? Someone like you shouldn't have a problem 10 miles west off the bay.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 AM

477 posts, read 1,406,710 times
Quote:

I get the feeling that women are calling ALL the shots here in Miami. This is definitely not true in New York.
Its about time women call the shots. The men of NYC are full of themselves and because they have too many options act like they are gods gift.

South beach is probably lots of tourists or women not looking for a real relationship. I would try local places rather than the big clubs. Join a class, look on meetup or match to find women.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:48 PM

139 posts, read 277,767 times
Steven,

I wanted to respond as I came here in somewhat of a similar situation; I was a gringo moving from another part of the country. Honestly I never had many issues meeting women, either for dating, flings, etc... The sheer number of women in Miami continues to amaze me. It's as good of a ratio as I've seen anywhere and I've lived a lot of places. There are definitely some cultural differences but I've found that many Latin American woman and locals very much appreciate hanging out with someone that is outside of the norm.

I would say that the one issue during a time when I lived in S. Beach was meeting quality women that weren't just transient party types. My advice would be to mix up the social scene a little bit and start hanging out in places like Brickell, Downtown, Wynwood, Design District, etc... You are more likely to meet interesting people that way than a SoBe club scene which in my opinion is a tough scene for that kind of thing. Getting a solid group of friends going always helps as well as you start meeting the friends of friends, etc.............probably goes without saying.

At the end of the day it ended well for me as I met my wife here and I know many other transplants here that can say the same thing. Stay patient man and have fun.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:50 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:

or this one:

That may be your biggest problem right there. What type of people do you expect to see in South Beach? How long have your lived here that you think finding someone to have a real relationship with would be found in South Beach.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:19 PM

428 posts, read 970,090 times
Steve, where are you meeting these women, by the way? Because the local girls do NOT hang out at South Beach every weekend. They're probably at more local places like Coconut Grove (go to Moes), go to Purdy Lounge on Alton Road at South Beach, Blue Martini, restaurants like World of Beer, Flannigans, etc.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:13 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Black Bird Ordinary is another good spot. I would certainly check out the grove and Brickell and happy hours downtown and ins downtown coral gables. If you have only been hanging out in south beach you are missing out on the normal locals. Many young professionals in the above places.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:40 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I'm an attractive female and I never had a problem getting hit on but it was always by the complete idiots and of course 10 years or more younger than me I seriously never found any quality people there who weren't mixed up into money, drugs, women. It was all about getting notches in their belt (which I've done myself) but I mean I've known people my age still going to club Space. I mean grow the F up!! You're not 21 anymore

Old 08-22-2012, 05:22 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'm an attractive female and I never had a problem getting hit on but it was always by the complete idiots and of course 10 years or more younger than me I seriously never found any quality people there who weren't mixed up into money, drugs, women. It was all about getting notches in their belt (which I've done myself) but I mean I've known people my age still going to club Space. I mean grow the F up!! You're not 21 anymore
I hear you, people in Miami have a hard time growing up.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:18 AM

49 posts, read 151,843 times
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I have hung out plenty of times in Blue Martini Brickell and BM Kendall. I work in Kendall, so I spend lots of time there. I will try some of those other places you guys mentioned. I have noticed that people seem a little bit more "normal" as you head north. Hard Rock seems to have some nice people that aren't so... "Miami". Also, Gulfstream Park in Hallandale seemed cool. I've only gone one night out there, so I'd like to try that place again. I get the feeling that women in Miami (Sobe especially!) have their deflector shield set to maximum at all times. Probably from the sheer number of guys hitting on them at all times of day.

Example: One of my female coworkers is 200+ lbs and she was complaining to me about why couldn't she get a guy with a washboard stomach and a ferrari to talk to her. Only guys with BMW's talk to her. I guess more power to her, but it doesn't seem like a great situation for me.

As for me, I'm actively looking for my walking papers. Hoping to break my apartment lease early and head to Los Angeles...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami