Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 AM

34 posts, read 85,262 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm 34 years old and have been dreaming of a move to Florida since I was a kid. When I graduated college, I stuck around to get some work experience, then I started grad school, then I met a girl... you know how the story goes. It's 10 years later now and even though I really have no complaints about my life here I do feel like I have been missing out in a lot of ways. I do sort of enjoy the change of seasons but I absolutely hate being couped up all winter. I like bicyling, kayaking, the beach, etc. Palm trees and sunshine and the ocean just make me happy.

More recently, back in 2008, I finished grad school and interviewed in both Miami and NYC. I wound up taking the NYC job to get some "wall street" experience before I left New York. Subsequently, the financial world melted down and the last 4 years of my life have flashed by in the blink of an eye. I am one of the survivors and I'm lucky to be doing well.

I had all but given up on my dreams of South Florida until a couple weeks ago when I was contacted by a recruiter. I work in a very particular field in finance, so there are only a dozen or so firms in all of Florida where I could even get a job at this point. Interestingly enough, one of the better firms (located in Miami) is looking for someone with my background. I interviewed with them a few weeks ago and the recruiter told me this morning that an offer is forthcoming, hopefully by the end of the day.

So, I'm starting to do my homework today, looking at buildings in the area I would want to live in (South of Fifth on the beach) and I decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to also post here one last time about the potential move to hear any advice from people who have done what I am about to do (to tear out my roots and start over in Florida at the age of 34!).

FYI - I am single again as of May (though that has nothing to do with my decision to move). We parted on good terms, we just weren't right for each other in the long term.

Also, I should note that I am originally from the midwest and have lived in other parts of the country before, including the dirty south. So, I do understand that not everyone lives life the way we do here in NY.

One last thing - I am a white guy and I have dated latin and russian women before.. so while I am definitely open to all types I do want to be married at some point and I think marriages between similar people work the best. I know finding a single & attractive protestant chick at my age in Miami is probably not easy, but I'm also still not in a huge rush to find "the one" just yet. And if it never happens I could honestly live with that.

In terms of salary, pay would be similar. I made $290k last year and I would expect the offer to come in right around there (perhaps a little lower). I am pretty comfortable here (although far from rich in NYC) and I am operating under the assumption that with the lower cost of living and no state or local income taxes that I would be a lot more comfortable in Miami.

If you have had an experience that would help me with my decision, I would really like to hear from you.

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
Why would finding a white protestant be hard in Miami? Don't believe the hype when people tell you Miami is all latin, its not true. While they do make up a sizable majority, you still have areas that are very mixed and South Beach would be one of those areas. So I think you will be fine on that front.

As for the cost of living, ummm it isn't that far off from NYC (I am from Brooklyn originally). The same way prices are not uniform across the city, the same goes from South Florida. If you live in Downtown, Brickell or South beach, you can expect to pay a hell of a lot more than if you are living in some other areas. It would be like paying for rents in Murray Hill, Chelsea, the UES as opposed to say Washington Heights, Inwood or the like.

I think you will be fine, I mean your not from NYC originally so I don't think you will have that much of a adjustment problem. I have a lot of friends and family who are NYers born and bread who come out here and have a problem, but thats because they have never lived anywhere else. They are shocked that the rest of America doesn't work like NYC does for some silly reason. With that said, I think you will be fine and I hope everything pans out.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:44 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
You have a great paying job, and an open mind you will do just fine. I see you want to live on Miami Beach south of 5th. You want to be walking distance to the beach I assume?

If you want a more local atmosphere and not tourist I would look into the Brickell area. South of 5th in Miami Beach there are not many tourist walking around or anything. And if you want to walk to the beach then that is the spot to be.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:49 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,939,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe_ToBe? View Post
Hi All,

I'm 34 years old and have been dreaming of a move to Florida since I was a kid. When I graduated college, I stuck around to get some work experience, then I started grad school, then I met a girl... you know how the story goes. It's 10 years later now and even though I really have no complaints about my life here I do feel like I have been missing out in a lot of ways. I do sort of enjoy the change of seasons but I absolutely hate being couped up all winter. I like bicyling, kayaking, the beach, etc. Palm trees and sunshine and the ocean just make me happy.

More recently, back in 2008, I finished grad school and interviewed in both Miami and NYC. I wound up taking the NYC job to get some "wall street" experience before I left New York. Subsequently, the financial world melted down and the last 4 years of my life have flashed by in the blink of an eye. I am one of the survivors and I'm lucky to be doing well.

I had all but given up on my dreams of South Florida until a couple weeks ago when I was contacted by a recruiter. I work in a very particular field in finance, so there are only a dozen or so firms in all of Florida where I could even get a job at this point. Interestingly enough, one of the better firms (located in Miami) is looking for someone with my background. I interviewed with them a few weeks ago and the recruiter told me this morning that an offer is forthcoming, hopefully by the end of the day.

So, I'm starting to do my homework today, looking at buildings in the area I would want to live in (South of Fifth on the beach) and I decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to also post here one last time about the potential move to hear any advice from people who have done what I am about to do (to tear out my roots and start over in Florida at the age of 34!).

FYI - I am single again as of May (though that has nothing to do with my decision to move). We parted on good terms, we just weren't right for each other in the long term.

Also, I should note that I am originally from the midwest and have lived in other parts of the country before, including the dirty south. So, I do understand that not everyone lives life the way we do here in NY.

One last thing - I am a white guy and I have dated latin and russian women before.. so while I am definitely open to all types I do want to be married at some point and I think marriages between similar people work the best. I know finding a single & attractive protestant chick at my age in Miami is probably not easy, but I'm also still not in a huge rush to find "the one" just yet. And if it never happens I could honestly live with that.

In terms of salary, pay would be similar. I made $290k last year and I would expect the offer to come in right around there (perhaps a little lower). I am pretty comfortable here (although far from rich in NYC) and I am operating under the assumption that with the lower cost of living and no state or local income taxes that I would be a lot more comfortable in Miami.

If you have had an experience that would help me with my decision, I would really like to hear from you.

Thanks for reading!
The "dirty south" ? I am sure parts of NYC can be classified as that but the whole city same way with the south.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
The "dirty south" ? I am sure parts of NYC can be classified as that but the whole city same way with the south.
The dirty south is a slang term used by southerners from certain states. In my case I learned it in Louisiana, which is a charter member of the dirty south and one of my favorite states.

It's a term used in Florida, too. More often in the more rural areas of central Florida and also in the panhandle.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
You have a great paying job, and an open mind you will do just fine. I see you want to live on Miami Beach south of 5th. You want to be walking distance to the beach I assume?

If you want a more local atmosphere and not tourist I would look into the Brickell area. South of 5th in Miami Beach there are not many tourist walking around or anything. And if you want to walk to the beach then that is the spot to be.
Yes, I want to be walking distance to the beach, at least for the first year or two. After that I may branch out a bit. I like SoFi because it's a lot less hectic down there but still walking distance from a lot of stuff.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Why would finding a white protestant be hard in Miami? Don't believe the hype when people tell you Miami is all latin, its not true. While they do make up a sizable majority, you still have areas that are very mixed and South Beach would be one of those areas. So I think you will be fine on that front..
That's good to hear. Having only been to Miami on vacation, it's hard to know sometimes what's true and what's not regarding the rumors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
As for the cost of living, ummm it isn't that far off from NYC
Really? I'm surprised to hear that. Well, I would be saving over $2k per month in income taxes alone so I'm sure that will help. I have been looking at condos in the SoFi area and I am seeing decent places with inland views or partial ocean views going for ~450/square foot. Good ocean views are significantly higher, of course, but still, that seems a lot less expensive than NYC to me (of course, as you noted, depending on the area). I'm in Murray Hill, btw.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:57 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
Quote:
That's good to hear. Having only been to Miami on vacation, it's hard to know sometimes what's true and what's not regarding the rumors.

Really? I'm surprised to hear that. Well, I would be saving over $2k per month in income taxes alone so I'm sure that will help. I have been looking at condos in the SoFi area and I am seeing decent places with inland views or partial ocean views going for ~450/square foot. Good ocean views are significantly higher, of course, but still, that seems a lot less expensive than NYC to me (of course, as you noted, depending on the area). I'm in Murray Hill, btw.
I love Murray Hill!!! Great area man! Yeah, real estate is falling faster here than in NYC, not that NYC isn't falling though. You will be fine man, trust me. You are making decent coin, you already know South Florida ISNT a tropical NYC. So half the battle is already won. Also, when I speak about cost of living, it isn't just about rents being on par, food is a bit more here, car, gas, etc. etc. When you do the math, it isn't that far off.

Also, you should look at Brickell, you can get something over looking the bay for some good money and you will have access to mass transit. Granted the train isn't as wide reaching as it is in NYC but its better than nothing. You can also check in Coconut Grove for water views and Edgewater-Wynwood as well as parts of downtown that over look the water. Miami's city core has a lot spots you could check for.

All the best

Old 09-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Ok, you twisted my arm into checking out the Brickell area. I do like living close to work because time spent commuting is time wasted, in my book. I sort of had my heart set on SoFi but it doesn't make sense to rule anything out at this point. Plus I have heard that you can get more space for your money in Brickell, is that true?

Old 09-03-2012, 06:11 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
Quote:
Ok, you twisted my arm into checking out the Brickell area. I do like living close to work because time spent commuting is time wasted, in my book. I sort of had my heart set on SoFi but it doesn't make sense to rule anything out at this point. Plus I have heard that you can get more space for your money in Brickell, is that true?
South of 5th is great and you are close to plenty. The commute to work from there won't be bad at all. You are close to a lot of nightlife, the beach and plenty of other things.

Pros of Brickell:
It is cheaper, but not that cheap. It has some awesome new buildings with every amenity you can think of.
Closer to work, you can walk or take the peoplemover assuming you work downtown/Brickell area.
Good public transit, free peoplemover all around downtown to places like the american airlines arena, the new museum park and government center which connects to metrorail.
More locals than tourist.
Up and coming. Google Brickell city center.
Not the same amount of options but closer options for food and bars. And it continues to grow.

Both have there positives and negatives. If the beach is a must then I will say go with sobe. If the beach is not an absolute must I would certainly take a long look at Brickell for a local IMO the social scene is much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami