Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 04:35 PM

8 posts, read 8,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I would ask first are you a Architect? Do you have a degree in Architecture? If you are coming to the US I suggest you try to find what companies are hiring. The Architecture field is very competitive and I ask what degrees you have because a "drafter" doesn't make a lot of money where as a architect does. Start contacting companies first and have a resume.

Realize also that the US doesn't hand out Visas unless the government thinks your talents are needed here.
Yes, I am a licensed architect. Member of the Portuguese Institute of Architects (OASRS).
The option to work as a drafter, an entry level, is to motivate the hiring entity. Meaning I would ask for less than market value.

And that is because I would have to overcome some hurdles, like learning Florida's building codes, the Imperial measuring system (inches, feet, ugh...), to master Technical terms in English, and possibly some different working methods. I couldn't take responsibility for whole projects right away.

That being said, being a foreign worker has its own advantages to the employer: I cannot change firms until the visa contract expires (6 months-1 year, extendable to 2 years), while the employer could fire me as a normal American citizen, anytime they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 PM

8 posts, read 8,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It may be somewhat difficult for you to get a Visa. In the rare chance you can get a job the company needs to prove that your skills are so valuable that the U.S. should give you a Visa and basically take away a job from a U.S. resident or citizen. Not an easy thing to do. You are from Portugal so you obviously speak Portuguese that can be a plus, especially down here with Miami's large ties with Brazil. You really just need to search for jobs, it is not easy unemployment in the U.S. is higher than normal and even higher in Florida. It is not as bad as it is in parts of Europe like Portugal but it is not easy for anyone to get a job in many fields.

$1000 a month can get you a nice place with roommates. Really I would not waste too much time and money visiting Miami when you do not even have any jobs lined up. It is not easy to find a job in the U.S. right now and you coming from Europe it will be 20x harder for you. Come visit but if you really want to try to get a job in the U.S. be open to any area in the country. But I will say it will be very difficult unless you can find something that really needs Portuguese language skills. Even then there are plenty of bilingual people in Miami and the U.S.
I can speak decently all 3 languages. Perhaps a bit less on the Spanish, but I am confident that with half an hour of training I can get their accent just fine. I don't expect to find any jobs requiring Portuguese.

I picked the US, because it's a long time wish of mine. I understand things are rough at the moment there, and I would be just another guy trying to «steal» a job from a local citizen. But things are rougher here, so just «rough» is bearable, I think.

I am open for any other area in the USA, as I am not picky. If Miami is overflowed with unemployed people, I can just try elsewhere. I just had the feeling some cities had more opportunities than others, and Miami was one of them. Also, the weather is not an issue to me, as it is very similar with my own (minus the hurricanes), and I am familiar with the more prominent Latino culture of southern Florida.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,409,558 times
Florida in general has a bad job market. The jobs that do exist are low paying, dead end jobs.

Since you're open to other areas of the U.S.... check out other areas of the country.
Texas seems to be doing well lately.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami