Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 AM

6 posts, read 28,247 times

Advertisements

Bit of sticker shock when shopping rentals in Miami (33187) area. I am looking to relocate around this area for a job transfer. I would be making quite a bit more than I am now but unsure if I can afford 4 times my current monthly rent (which is 675.00)

Are there any less seedy areas in Miami that don't have ridiculous pricing for a 1 or 2 bedroom flat?

I would really appreciate any recommendations. Thanks

Heck, even better would be mobile home parks in that area if there are no reasonably priced flats. I have no problems with that. Preferably with parking provided / carport etc... I have a pristine 30 year old Mercedes Benz I drive every day and would really hate for something to happen to that car...

I've heard some not so good things about Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 01:50 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,821,503 times
You think 33187 is expensive, check out 33129, 33133, and 33156. I can name a bunch more that are more expensive than 33187 if you want your jaw to hit your keyboard. The 33187 area isn't ghetto but it isn't anything to brag about, mainly middle to low middle class with the exception of a portion of the Redlands that falls in that zip code. 33186 and 33173 are more centrally located and closer to Kendall Dr. Another thing to consider is that your Mercedes won't fair to well in any trailer park, low class apartments or townhomes. I recommend that you put you Mercedes in a corral full of pitbulls or the Becker radio along with the hood emblem won't make it through the first night and if you have hubcaps you can kiss those good bye as well. Most affordable apartment complexes are full of undesirable people. You need to pay at least $1,500 a month, less than that and you are surrounded by riff raff, section 8 freeloaders and even gangs.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:18 AM

6 posts, read 28,247 times
Good lord. Well, I'm withdrawing my job transfer request, It's not worth the hassle. I'll find a different city. And my 240D will thank me for it. That car is worth too much to me to even risk it.

Thanks for opening my eyes

Old 09-18-2012, 07:18 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmah View Post
Good lord. Well, I'm withdrawing my job transfer request, It's not worth the hassle. I'll find a different city. And my 240D will thank me for it. That car is worth too much to me to even risk it.

Thanks for opening my eyes
Florida does not have income tax.....conversely, Florida cities and counties have high property taxes to cover what the state does not provide from a revenue perspective. There's no free ride. Rental property owners are essentially passing along their tax burden and their insurance costs to their tenants. If you think about it that way, it's easier to figure out how that really compares to what you are paying for rent + income tax in your current location.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:20 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
It is a city. Cities have more expensive cost of living always have, always will. Its a pretty simple concept. Not sure where you are coming from but obviously not a city as large as Miami. You want to see real rental rates that are expensive look in DC, Boston and NYC.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:32 AM

72 posts, read 87,228 times
$675 is not gonna get you any desirable neighbors anywhere in this country. Most low priced apartment buldings are full of immigrants, section 8 residents, junkies or just plain trash. Its not a Miami thing, same is true in Tampa, Houston, Tulsa etc

Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,939,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It is a city. Cities have more expensive cost of living always have, always will. Its a pretty simple concept. Not sure where you are coming from but obviously not a city as large as Miami. You want to see real rental rates that are expensive look in DC, Boston and NYC.

This person is coming from Fort Myers/Cape Coral area.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 AM

513 posts, read 961,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmah View Post
Bit of sticker shock when shopping rentals in Miami (33187) area. I am looking to relocate around this area for a job transfer. I would be making quite a bit more than I am now but unsure if I can afford 4 times my current monthly rent (which is 675.00)

Are there any less seedy areas in Miami that don't have ridiculous pricing for a 1 or 2 bedroom flat?

I would really appreciate any recommendations. Thanks

Heck, even better would be mobile home parks in that area if there are no reasonably priced flats. I have no problems with that. Preferably with parking provided / carport etc... I have a pristine 30 year old Mercedes Benz I drive every day and would really hate for something to happen to that car...

I've heard some not so good things about Miami
This makes no sense to me. You live in Florida but you have no concept of the high rents in Miami. Under 700 a month, not including utilities/cable/phone is section 8/ghetto.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 AM

72 posts, read 87,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
This person is coming from Fort Myers/Cape Coral area.
You will not get anything in Cape Coral for that price

Maybe in North Ft Myers in a building full of junkies, or in Lehigh Acres which is NOT a place with desirable neighbors , or on the Western towns where all the Mexican Farmers live like Belle

Old 09-18-2012, 09:57 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,821,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
This makes no sense to me. You live in Florida but you have no concept of the high rents in Miami. Under 700 a month, not including utilities/cable/phone is section 8/ghetto.
The poster is from Ft. Myers. Why does he have to know about rents in Miami or even the entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami