Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,825,184 times

Advertisements

The Commissioners approved a new dangerous dog registry and doubled fines to $1,000 for dog attacks. They also approved a law that allows police officers to confiscate dogs they consider dangerous. I don't know what you think but I consider this to be excessive. I also feel that the commissioners have a lot of more important issues to take care of. It seems as thought their priorities are mixed up. Shouldn't they be discussing about the antiquate sewer system that needs replacing, the increases on property insurance, or looking for ways to improve county government in general. Do we really need more laws? I feel that if we are going to have a dangerous dog registry we might as well have a dangerous politician registry. This county government is becoming more and more out of control and with no end in sight. Please feel free to share your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
I actually think this is a good idea (they should of made the fine much higher than that to get peoples attention), will it be enforce, no ... The problem we have in this county with dogs attacking people or other animals isn't all the dogs fault. It is the owners fault as well who don't know how to properly take care of a dog (this includes little dogs as well).

I have a neighbor down the block that has an american bull dog, who already barks like he wants to attack my dogs when we walk by their house. The neighbor next to them is getting a golden retriever in a few months and I can already see the bull dog jumping that fence and attacking the golden. And it is all because the people with the bull dog don't understand the power their dog has (they think they have a labrador). If they understood what their dog could potential do, they would put a proper fence up so the dog couldn't get out. Yet they don't, because they don't believe their dog could ever jump over their 4 foot fence. Crazy...

Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 AM

663 posts, read 1,145,112 times
You got to be careful with these laws. I have a large German Shepherd. If you come near my vehicles or on property, he'll tear you up, which is his job.
When I walk him, I have no problems. I take him to the dog park everyday, again, no problems.
So, if a police officer comes up to my fence and the dog is acting aggressive, does he get taken away?
I work for 24 hrs. I sleep better a night knowing my dog will do his best to protect my wife and property.

Just sounds like it might be a slippery slope.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
It sounds like you are a responsible dog owner, I don't think you will have any problems. Anyone going into a yard uninvited is taking a risk, including the cops... And if a dog attacks that person, I don't feel bad for them, they trespassed. The cops ... that's a double edged sword, you want them to catch the bad guys, but they should also respect the no trespassing rule and not shoot a dog that is protecting its yard. The dog shouldn't be taken away or shot in this case because he is doing what he is suppose to be doing.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
The Commissioners approved a new dangerous dog registry and doubled fines to $1,000 for dog attacks. They also approved a law that allows police officers to confiscate dogs they consider dangerous. I don't know what you think but I consider this to be excessive. I also feel that the commissioners have a lot of more important issues to take care of. It seems as thought their priorities are mixed up. Shouldn't they be discussing about the antiquate sewer system that needs replacing, the increases on property insurance, or looking for ways to improve county government in general. Do we really need more laws? I feel that if we are going to have a dangerous dog registry we might as well have a dangerous politician registry. This county government is becoming more and more out of control and with no end in sight. Please feel free to share your opinions.
yeah, totally excessive. How DARE they confiscate a dog from some careless savage who is one day away from having that dog attack someone or some kid. do you know how many times I have seen morons let their dogs walk around off leash? Dogs are ANIMALS, and they can react in negative ways. Like that waitress on South Beach who was bitten in her face by some dog, while she was giving the stupid thing water. If people can't control them, then they do not need to have them. People and their selfish wants do not outweigh the needs of society. And we all need to be able to walk down a street with out the fear of being beaten by some filthy dog, because some person didn't have the ability to train them or at the very least restrain them.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
I think this law is a positive step forward. Awareness and outreach can only do so much. There is a huge amount of the population that has dogs for security purposes, dog fighting, beeding ($). These owners are not there to train, love and channel their powerful dogs' energy. In essence, they are property and not "pets" like most animal lovers would view them.

This disproportionate amount of people who have dogs for reasons other than companionship are the reason why there are so many dog attacks in South Florida. A registry and increased fines probably won't change much, but at least it hits these people where it hurts and it airs their dity laundry, so i'm happy with it.

If people think they have a right to own an aggressive and potentially dangerous/violent dog, then I have a right to know who you are so I can stay away. That is the reason you would have such a dog in the first place, so why the complaining now?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I think this law is a positive step forward. Awareness and outreach can only do so much. There is a huge amount of the population that has dogs for security purposes, dog fighting, beeding ($). These owners are not there to train, love and channel their powerful dogs' energy. In essence, they are property and not "pets" like most animal lovers would view them.

This disproportionate amount of people who have dogs for reasons other than companionship are the reason why there are so many dog attacks in South Florida. A registry and increased fines probably won't change much, but at least it hits these people where it hurts and it airs their dity laundry, so i'm happy with it.

If people think they have a right to own an aggressive and potentially dangerous/violent dog, then I have a right to know who you are so I can stay away. That is the reason you would have such a dog in the first place, so why the complaining now?
Can't agree with you. Even pets that get love from their owns can attack people who are unfamiliar to them.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:01 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times
I shoot dogs that attack me and some think that is excessive. My old body is too stiff with arthritis to get down on all fours and bite them.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 AM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,225,440 times
It is a brilliant idea and i think the fine should he higher. If your dogs are friendly and don't attack people you should not be worried. Those person who are attacked who is going to pay their medical bills? Chances are the dog owner will say i can't afford paying. I have also seen dogs roaming around looking for food. Some people don't know how to take of their dogs....we have a dog park here and maybe only 10 people use it and majority just let their dog roam and leave poop on people's lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: